News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

britain

Not the only person. Although I'm sure it is bright and colorful, it came at a cost. It cost the dignity of a once revered structure, the first of its kind, the first geodesic dome ever to exist. The hand was ok because it was just along side it, then they punch holds in it and attached fake stars making that magnificent building more of a billboard then a high quality historic engineering marvel. Now it is covered with lights and it has lost all it's dignity and has become just another prop to create ooh's and ah's instead of reverence! To me right now it closer resembles the Covid19 drawing then SSE.

View attachment 590468 View attachment 590471

Fortunately, it still inspires reverence during the day.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I'm among those who thinks it's a nice update, but I hope they use it in combination with the traditional lighting during the evening rather than just having it constantly going full beam. I assume they will?

While I understand others may not be fans of the lights, I certainly don't understand finding this worse than the wand. That was there all day and all night so there was never a chance to appreciate Spaceship Earth without a big tacky metal structure with an image of Mickey's hand, a wand, stars over the structure, and a cursive script "Epcot" over the top of the thing. Completely out of place in the park and not even executed very well. Thinking back, that period of the wand at Epcot and hat at Disney-MGM was a weird time for the parks that only DAK really seemed to sail through with the relatively minimal damage of Dinorama.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1633216506434.png

The LEDs remove all the dimensionality from SSE...one of the things that made seeing it lit up at night so awesome. :(

That’s what it is that’s bugging me. Thanks. You nailed it.

How is lighting up the vertices not an actual enhancement of dimensionality?

Goofyernmost

I'm among those who things it's a nice update, but I hope they use it in combination with the traditional lighting during the evening rather than just having it constantly going full beam. I assume they will?

While I understand others may not be fans of the lights, I certainly don't understand finding this worse than the wand. That was there all day and all night so there was never a chance to appreciate Spaceship Earth without a big tacky metal structure with an image of Mickey's hand, a wand, stars over the structure, and a cursive script "Epcot" over the top of the thing. Completely out of place in the park and not even executed very well. Thinking back, that period of the wand at Epcot and hat at Disney-MGM was a weird time for the parks that only DAK really seemed to sail through with the relatively minimal damage of Dinorama.
At the time, Epcot was having an identification problem. People were not really associating Epcot with Disneyworld. It was thought of as a completely unrelated park that took Disney tickets. I don't think we have to think to hard to know just how brain dead a lot of people are. Anyway. It was put there for the Y2K celebration and the banner that year said 2000. After 2000 they changed it to EPCOT. It was visible from the parking lot and cemented the concept of this being a Disney Park, so it never bothered me. I also didn't cry any tears when they took it down, but there were things that hung around longer and were completely unacceptable, yes I'm talking to you Big A$$ Hat. Like BAH it was just left up to long. My objection to the hand was the alleged pixie dust coming from the wand and permanently attached to the building. To me that was like having your trees TP'd on Halloween with permanent TP. I hated the 2000 because they did the numbers to narrow and you could see through to each side. Very poorly done, but Epcot was the right size. I did hate the sprinkling to magic dust on the top. It made it look like SSE had a crew cut.

1633217055524.png
1633217168710.png

ImperfectPixie

View attachment 590657

How is lighting up the vertices not an actual enhancement of dimensionality?
The LEDs are so bright that they remove the shadows caused by the triangular panels, which the old lighting actually used to great effect. I have seen a shot or two in which they're not at full brightness and the dimensionality of the triangle panels is still visible...but they're definitely using the lights at far too bright a setting. (Hopefully they adjust that - and it would also increase the longevity of the LEDs.)

(ETA: By dimensionality, I'm referring to the fact that it's a geodesic sphere...the LEDs make it look like it's just a ball.)

mikejs78

Premium Member
The LEDs are so bright that they remove the shadows caused by the triangular panels, which the old lighting actually used to great effect. I have seen a shot or two in which they're not at full brightness and the dimensionality of the triangle panels is still visible...but they're definitely using the lights at far too bright a setting. (Hopefully they adjust that - and it would also increase the longevity of the LEDs.)

(ETA: By dimensionality, I'm referring to the fact that it's a geodesic sphere...the LEDs make it look like it's just a ball.)
Are you determining this from photos or from seeing it in person?

Tom Morrow

Yes! When the lights aren't at full brightness it allows the triangle texture and fill lighting from the floodlights to still be visible. When the lights are at full brightness, if you aren't next to SSE, you only see the LEDS as they completely overtake the flood lighting. So it just looks like a black sphere with spots all over it. They need to balance it out. They should only be at full brightness during the little shows.

Disney! Please take note!

CaptainAmerica

Isn't that literally the point? It's a transformation. "Wow that looks like a completely different structure than the thing I saw when I walked into the park this morning."

CaptainAmerica

Yes! When the lights aren't at full brightness it allows the triangle texture and fill lighting from the floodlights to still be visible. When the lights are at full brightness, if you aren't next to SSE, you only see the LEDS as they completely overtake the flood lighting. So it just looks like a black sphere with spots all over it. They need to balance it out. They should only be at full brightness during the little shows.

Disney! Please take note!
That's the point! That's the effect! That's why it's so dramatic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom