The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd agree that there's nnot barn blowing inherint demand for WDW, but I do think there's a pent up desire to travel and do things. Disney will benefit from that once the health situation stabilizes, as will Universal, and the rest of the travel industry.
There’s pent up demand counterbalanced to some extent by their recent pricing and operational decisions and some bad PR both in the industry and on the street.

we don’t know what that results are for now

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DVC bookings have always bucked the trend. If they aren’t booked at 7 months, that’s a problem. But of course that was the intent behind the point restrictions to prevent it from being overwhelmed.
But they’re also supposed to be booked 97% 365 days a year to provide the backbone and support the weight of the whole operation.

DVC bookings down is a much bigger problem
Than bad merch and crappy parades for a made up “celebration”

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
But they’re also supposed to be booked 97% 365 days a year to provide the backbone and support the weight of the whole operation.

DVC bookings down is a much bigger problem
Than bad merch and crappy parades for a made up “celebration”
Maybe too many people bought into something they shouldn’t have and now the consequences coming to fruition?

pdude81

DVC is not completely normal right now given the 50% borrowing restriction. There is a little more availability at 7mo than in the past, but nothing crazy. Also consider they made a sailing of the Wish require using points for at least one person to book. That chewed up a lot of people's backlog of points right there.

Once international travel is a thing again we'll know whether demand is truly soft.

Jrb1979

DVC is not completely normal right now given the 50% borrowing restriction. There is a little more availability at 7mo than in the past, but nothing crazy. Also consider they made a sailing of the Wish require using points for at least one person to book. That chewed up a lot of people's backlog of points right there.

Once international travel is a thing again we'll know whether demand is truly soft.
Even when they do open travel for international guests I'm not sure many are going to flocking to WDW. With the requirement for testing still needed I think many will just not bother.

Disney Analyst

Just saw Adam the Woo's video report of WDW's 50th celebration day. Big crowd. But nothing special was offered to the park guests. Adam made it to the castle hub and waited for something special to happen. What happened is that a few of the costumed characters stood in front of the castle, raised their arms, and the pyro that shoots out of the castle happened. Ta dah! Then the characters walked off the stage.

It looked like a lot of people were there to buy 50th merchandise. Suckers.

What happened to the "celebration"? Was there more than I saw in the Woo's video?

Sadly no… nothing more happened.

I don’t think there was even a happy birthday sing along with characters galore like Disneyland will usually do. Nor a rededication ceremony for regular guests.

I am told it was actually embarrassing, managers on the ground were embarrassed, including the VP of MK.

Lots of people asking “Is that it?”.

brb1006

Sadly no… nothing more happened.

I don’t think there was even a happy birthday sing along with characters galore like Disneyland will usually do. Nor a rededication ceremony for regular guests.

I am told it was actually embarrassing, managers on the ground were embarrassed, including the VP of MK.

Lots of people asking “Is that it?”.
Same here, I was expecting a special anniversary cavalcade like WDW's 40th Anniversary.

hopemax

In the past anniversaries, CMs would simply line Main Street waving with Mickey Hands and guests and CMs wishing each other Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversaries as they walked to their destination. I don't get the sense there was even any of that going on. Even the free buttons of the past would serve a purpose as many guests would put them on and it was a visual cue that they were there to celebrate which generated a little bit of kinship. Instead, we get Hunger Games with merchandise.

Dan Deesnee

Not trying to be argumentative but it is not a "little more" availability at 7 months right now. It is significantly more. My family typically booked 7 months out and never before have we basically had our pick up places to stay like we did recently.

It's not even just 7 months out It's 5 and 6 months out as well. This is the current availability for a standard one bedroom villa at Boardwalk 5 months out.

Screenshot_20211002-124222_Chrome.jpg

Again I've never seen availability like this or even remotely close to this. Want to stay at Poly? Half of March is available and almost all of April for a standard regular view studio.

Now what I think might be happening is that people are simply planning their vacations less in advance because they're worried about new restrictions and stuff like that. I would imagine this availability will disappear about 4 months out.

That or Disney has a massive problem and this 50th is going to be a total bust when there's still celebrating in 2023 and hardly anyone is showing up.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Not trying to be argumentative but it is not a "little more" availability at 7 months right now. It is significantly more. My family typically booked 7 months out and never before have we basically had our pick up places to stay like we did recently.

It's not even just 7 months out It's 5 and 6 months out as well. This is the current availability for a standard one bedroom villa at Boardwalk 5 months out.

View attachment 590611

Again I've never seen availability like this or even remotely close to this. Want to stay at Poly? Half of March is available and almost all of April for a standard regular view studio.

Now what I think might be happening is that people are simply planning their vacations less in advance because they're worried about new restrictions and stuff like that. I would imagine this availability will disappear about 4 months out.

That or Disney has a massive problem and this 50th is going to be a total bust when there's still celebrating in 2023 and hardly anyone is showing up.
I mean, I've booked 7 months out and never had a problem getting the resort I want.

Also, with the change in dining reservations from 180 days to 60 and no FP+, there's less of a need to book early.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, I've booked 7 months out and never had a problem getting the resort I want.

Also, with the change in dining reservations from 180 days to 60 and no FP+, there's less of a need to book early.
If people booked early just for that array of standard menus and buffets…they need to rethink things

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom