Proof of Vaccination or Negative COVID Test required for theme parks soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooch

My main point of my post about vaccinating children wasn't talking about children dying from COVID, I specifically stated it was low and that's not why kids need to get vaccinated. Even if they get the virus they themselves won't die, but can spread it to others. And it's not just that we need to worry about unvaccinated people catching it, it's the fact that children make up such a big part of our population that it's going to be next to impossible to achieve the percentage of population vaccinated to reach herd immunity, we need about 80% which might seem high because it is. Because the delta variant is so much more easily transmissible. If we were able to get enough people vaccinated to reach herd immunity before the delta variant came along then it would have been a lower percentage of population vaccinated necessary for herd immunity. This is my main point in why I personally believe children need to be vaccinated.

The CDC is specifically studying the vaccine in children at different age groups to prove it is safe and effective, as they do with any vaccine. Again, we've required children to be vaccinated just to attend school for a very long time, this is no different, in fact I would argue this is an even more necessary vaccine to require children to have. It's very very simple, the more people vaccinated the better. Children don't magically get excluded from this because they don't die from the virus, they're still a huge component of the transmission of the virus and thus mutations and herd immunity.

Dear Prudence

FYI, if you're a CA resident, you can check your status online. Mine does not show up, even though I am and it shows up on my insurance records. Between this and dealing with tribal governments all week, it's been an ORDEAL existing IRL but not on paper.

Be sure to check your status, folks!

TP2000

FYI, if you're a CA resident, you can check your status online. Mine does not show up, even though I am and it shows up on my insurance records. Between this and dealing with tribal governments all week, it's been an ORDEAL existing IRL but not on paper.

Be sure to check your status, folks!

Great advice! I tried to register with the official California vaccine site awhile ago, but they sent me a text message that I wasn't vaccinated and had no records. I had been fully vaccinated for months when they sent that. The VA system knows I am vaccinated, but Sacramento does not. :rolleyes:

I have a doctor friend with a private practice who has also worked throughout his career with the Indian Health Service. I have been interested to hear his tales of getting the local tribes in northeast San Diego County vaccinated, and how highly engaged the tribal leaders have been throughout the pandemic.

The LA County Public Health Department makes a prominent point at the top of their website in tracking the racial information on who is vaccinated. I haven't included it before (shame on me) because Indian tribal members make up such a tiny slice of the demographic pie in mostly urban LA County. But as per usual, the tribal members living in LA County are some of the most vaccinated. I was happy to see that!

LA County Vaccination Rates by Race - As of September 19th

Asians = 81% Vaccinated
American Indian = 74% Vaccinated
Whites = 71% Vaccinated
Latinos = 62% Vaccinated
Blacks = 53% Vaccinated

LAC_race_projection (4).png

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

Great advice! I tried to register with the official California vaccine site awhile ago, but they sent me a text message that I wasn't vaccinated and had no records. I had been fully vaccinated for months when they sent that. The VA system knows I am vaccinated, but Sacramento does not. :rolleyes:

I have a doctor friend with a private practice who has also worked throughout his career with the Indian Health Service. I have been interested to hear his tales of getting the local tribes in northeast San Diego County vaccinated, and how highly engaged the tribal leaders have been throughout the pandemic.

The LA County Public Health Department makes a prominent point at the top of their website in tracking the racial information on who is vaccinated. I haven't included it before (shame on me) because Indian tribal members make up such a tiny slice of the demographic pie in mostly urban LA County. But as per usual, the tribal members living in LA County are some of the most vaccinated. I was happy to see that!

LA County Vaccination Rates by Race - As of September 19th

Asians = 81% Vaccinated
American Indian = 74% Vaccinated
Whites = 71% Vaccinated
Latinos = 62% Vaccinated
Blacks = 53% Vaccinated

View attachment 589581

Being vaccinated, one of the only things going for us. 😅🤣

TP2000

Being vaccinated, one of the only things going for us. 😅🤣

Well, I would argue that many tribes have a fabulous culture and some of the world's most stunning artforms going for them, but the point is understood. 😁

I must confess I'm not very adept on the tribes of the Southwest (with the exception of recently taking up smudging as part of my housekeeping ritual). But I have long been an avid fan of the artwork from the Salish speaking tribes of the Pacific Northwest. Anyone wanting to dip their toe into the fascinating culture and meanings of that art should check out the very approachable yet informative book Looking At Indian Art of the Northwest Coast by Hilary Stewart.

Stunning and powerful stuff!

totem-pole-Tlingit-community-house-Totem-Bight.jpg

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Questioned about the issue during the Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday, county Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said small changes are being made to ease the implementation of the rules at theme parks such as Magic Mountain and Universal Studios.

Specifically, the county will no longer require proof of a negative Covid test for patrons aged 11 and younger — an age group that is still ineligible for vaccinations. The county also removed the requirement that patrons aged 17 and younger provide a photo ID along with their vaccination/testing verification.

The county also agreed to delay the photo ID requirement for people aged 18 and over until Nov. 1, although people will still have to provide the vaccination/testing verification beginning Oct. 7.

Ferrer said the delay “gives everybody more time to put your (vaccine/testing verification) systems in place and then add the ID requirement come November.

Supervisor Kathryn Barger, whose district includes Magic Mountain, said she sympathized with the park and its concerns about implementing the county’s requirements, which go beyond those mandated by the state. She said the requirement “took Six Flags by surprise,” even though discussions about such requirements have been ongoing in public for weeks. Barger urged Ferrer to work more closely with industries that may be impacted by new health officer orders.

Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, whose district includes Universal Studios, said she is “a lot less patient with the businesses that have complained like they didn’t see this coming and were so blindsided.”

“The reason that they don’t want to change is that they’ve pre-sold millions of dollars worth of tickets all around the country,” Kuehl said."

cmwade77

Original Poster
"Questioned about the issue during the Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday, county Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said small changes are being made to ease the implementation of the rules at theme parks such as Magic Mountain and Universal Studios.

Specifically, the county will no longer require proof of a negative Covid test for patrons aged 11 and younger — an age group that is still ineligible for vaccinations. The county also removed the requirement that patrons aged 17 and younger provide a photo ID along with their vaccination/testing verification.

The county also agreed to delay the photo ID requirement for people aged 18 and over until Nov. 1, although people will still have to provide the vaccination/testing verification beginning Oct. 7.

Ferrer said the delay “gives everybody more time to put your (vaccine/testing verification) systems in place and then add the ID requirement come November.

Supervisor Kathryn Barger, whose district includes Magic Mountain, said she sympathized with the park and its concerns about implementing the county’s requirements, which go beyond those mandated by the state. She said the requirement “took Six Flags by surprise,” even though discussions about such requirements have been ongoing in public for weeks. Barger urged Ferrer to work more closely with industries that may be impacted by new health officer orders.

Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, whose district includes Universal Studios, said she is “a lot less patient with the businesses that have complained like they didn’t see this coming and were so blindsided.”

“The reason that they don’t want to change is that they’ve pre-sold millions of dollars worth of tickets all around the country,” Kuehl said."

No, the reason they don't want to change is it is costly and a bad idea.

mickEblu

There is is folks

Yuck. Face coverings outdoors? Looks like I won’t be using my AP there for a while. Luckily it was pretty cheap and I got my money’s worth the first 3 visits. I probably won’t go back until Super Nintendo Land opens so long as the current mandate is in place.

With that said weather is getting cooler and I have found some pretty breezy masks.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I have to travel for a business conference next month for the first time in almost 2 years… and in addition to proof of vaccination I will need to do a PCR test 72 hours prior, antigen test on site, and the company will be holding meetings under strict social distancing limitations.

All this is to say, these things aren’t going away. As the creative Bob pontificated, (not Chapek, or Iger, but Dylan of course) Times they are a changin’.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I have to travel for a business conference next month for the first time in almost 2 years… and in addition to proof of vaccination I will need to do a PCR test 72 hours prior, antigen test on site, and the company will be holding meetings under strict social distancing limitations.

All this is to say, these things aren’t going away. As the creative Bob pontificated, (not Chapek, or Iger, but Dylan of course) Times they are a changin’.
This sounds very much like it is setting up to be the least fun business trip ever. Hopefully you get some time to decompress in your room a bit, at least.

George Lucas on a Bench

I'll still go back to Universal Hollyweird because they have the Bates Motel and Beetlejuice in a face mask and I don't mind wearing one myself to experience that. However, I'm baffled we don't yet have a @TP2000 analysis of the Trust The Experts/The Science (!) and Data absurdity of masks being required outdoors in the theme parks but not immediately outside in the Citywalk area. Just like diners in restaurants eating unmasked while people waiting in line are masked. Science and Data! The Coronavirus apparently only transmits outside within the Universal theme park but not 10 feet outside the gate. The Coronavirus avoids Citywalk common areas entirely. What a miserable virus. It can't even enjoy the King Kong sign or the Bride of Frankenstein marquee at the cinema, or the NYS Sunglass stand where I got some great aviators.

cmwade77

Original Poster

Actually, many other countries are beginning to lift all COVID restrictions, typically these countries have been about 6 months ahead of us in COVID protocols, so I would expect that we will see changes in about 6 months.

TP2000

Actually, many other countries are beginning to lift all COVID restrictions, typically these countries have been about 6 months ahead of us in COVID protocols, so I would expect that we will see changes in about 6 months.

Which countries are you talking about, specifically? Asking for a friend...

TP2000

I'll still go back to Universal Hollyweird because they have the Bates Motel and Beetlejuice in a face mask and I don't mind wearing one myself to experience that. However, I'm baffled we don't yet have a @TP2000 analysis of the Trust The Experts/The Science (!) and Data absurdity of masks being required outdoors in the theme parks but not immediately outside in the Citywalk area. Just like diners in restaurants eating unmasked while people waiting in line are masked. Science and Data!

No such analysis is required.

It's common knowledge among the Official Good People and the sophisticated (ie: Not You!) that Covid does not show up at huge 60th birthday parties for a former President in Martha's Vineyard, or the Met Gala in New York City, or at The Emmy's. Covid does also not show up if you are the mayor of San Francisco who passed an indoor mask mandate for peons but took her mask off in a bar while "really feeling it" because Tony! Tone! Toni! (Yes, I had to Google that spelling. So what?) performed a song she liked.

Covid only shows up at motorcycle rallies in South Dakota, or college football games if the game takes place in any Godforsaken backwards state between New York and California where they marry their cousins even in college, or any Applebee's.

This is hard data and real science that only sophisticated people would understand. Please try and keep up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom