That time we almost lost ToT

BHF

Original Poster
So here is something interesting I learned. The source I heard this from is a credible one, but still take it all as gossip. Tower of Terror almost had a name change years ago. Right after the tragic events of September 11th 2001, there were talks of changing the name of the popular ride to remove "Terror" from it. When I say "talks of", I'm not sure if it went very far through the big wigs to almost becoming a reality, or if the idea was merely thrown around at a meeting then quickly dropped. My guess is it was the latter, or else there would have been rumors buzzing a plenty about this. This may sound ridiculous today, but remember back then "terror" was a hot button topic, especially combined with tower in the name, I can see why Disney might have considered the change during a very hurting time for the United States.

Anyhow, just thought that was interesting and worth a share. It would be hard to imagine the ride as just "Hollywood Tower Hotel" or the "Twilight Zone tower". I can completely understand Disneys motives at the time, but glad it never unfolded further. Any of our insiders know more on this, or what the proposed replacement name would have been, had this idea gone into motion?

Goofyernmost

I didn't hear about it either, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. We are such a weak society that we are unable to differentiate between one thing and another. Twin Towers were not related at all to Tower of Terror. It defines two different things, but we cater way to much to the over sensitivity of many people that cannot make that separation. So if it was even considered or actually was something at all, I am glad that someone decided to wait out the panic. I know that I went on ToT many times since 9/11 and never once did I connect it to the Twin Towers. One was a ride at WDW the other was a massive tragedy, but not at all related. They're only words.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

I, too, remember reading about concerns over the name. Just a sensitivity issue. The combination of tower + terror would create strong association with 9-11, not a happy thought you want to have in a Disney park.

I have no memory if this ever was (presented as) more than just online fan discussion. I would think that at least the thought itself would have occurred to many higher-ups too. They inhabit the same world that we do.

BHF

Original Poster
My source on this makes it seem like the idea didn't go far up the pipeline at all, which makes me think it was suggested by someone in the decision making dept (if at all) and quickly abandoned. I'm just curious if there was any replacement name planned to be used had the idea actually gained momentum. It seems unfathomable to refer to the ride, at least the Florida version, as anything other than ToT.
I understand Disney's concerns during that time period, but wouldn't like the change, even back then, considering the "terror" mentioned in that name has zero to do with terrorists or terrorism.

jonnyc

That idea actually had a lot more momentum and possibility than changing TOT in 2001 ever had. Which in itself is terrifying.

I'm worried about this upcoming Scar-Jo Tower of Terror movie and the possibility of getting a retheme - hopefully it will be like Jungle Cruise and they'll leave the attraction as is, however with "The Twilight Zone" being third party IP I feel the risk of a retheme is ever present 😞

Movielover

Remember when there were arguments that Peter Jackson should have changed the name of The Two Towers because the film came out a year after the attacks. That was stupid and I'm glad it did not happen.

BHF

Original Poster
Remember when there were arguments that Peter Jackson should have changed the name of The Two Towers because the film came out a year after the attacks. That was stupid and I'm glad it did not happen.
And that was years before the Twitter, social media explosion and everything being problematic all the time.
Had those things happened in today's world, it would be called "LOTR: The Middle One"

ryno1982

I remember that rumor, specifically because the DCA version was being developed and there was talk they were possibly looking at calling it something different. When it was announced in 2002 it was proved to not be the case.

Professor_Jason

I'm worried about this upcoming Scar-Jo Tower of Terror movie and the possibility of getting a retheme - hopefully it will be like Jungle Cruise and they'll leave the attraction as is, however with "The Twilight Zone" being third party IP I feel the risk of a retheme is ever present 😞
Same, it's my favorite ride at WDW. I'll be bummed if they take the Twilight Zone out of it but I'll be happy if they just leave it the Tower of Terror after they do

Tom Morrow

The Scar-Jo movie was canned because she and the company have cut ties. Of course, it doesn't really need to be produced by her, specifically...

That said, if any drastic change were to happen to ToT in the near future it would probably be to remove the Twilight Zone IP but keep the same story and whatnot.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

RollerCoaster

I remember this and the idea died very quickly. There is nothing to really discuss. What I will never forget is how wonderfully uncrowded the parks were immediately after 9/11.

Kamikaze

If that movie actually happens, you can bet the ride will change to fit it. And the TZ theming will be dropped.

BHF

Original Poster
There is nothing to really discuss.
Um, ok. Apologies if I hurt an armchair moderators feelings but I had never heard of this rumor until just recently. I thought it was interesting. Not something I'd want done to one of my favorite rides but still interesting, and from a source who either knows or knew persons tossing the thought around within the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom