News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

Mr. Moderate

As a old Disney parks fan who likes to dream of what if, here's what I wish Disney would have done.

TSL is cute, but way too small and imho, it seems geared for the kids, even though some adults fool themselves into thinking otherwise. I wished Disney would have made it bigger with another attraction and would have built the duplicate to Carsland that they have in California, where Star Wars is now. Walking from TSL to seeing the Radiator Springs raceway and mountains would have been awesome. When seeing it for the first time in DCA, it was pretty amazing and I feel the town was recreated quite well.

As for Star Wars, I would have loved if Disney would have built a 5th gate, which will never happen, basing it on the awesome Tokyo Disney Sea and putting a larger Star Wars footprint there instead. I truly feel it would have been a home run.

lazyboy97o

TSL is cute, but way too small and imho, it seems geared for the kids, even though some adults fool themselves into thinking otherwise. I wished Disney would have made it bigger with another attraction and would have built the duplicate to Carsland that they have in California, where Star Wars is now. Walking from TSL to seeing the Radiator Springs raceway and mountains would have been awesome. When seeing it for the first time in DCA, it was pretty amazing and I feel the town was recreated quite well.
At 11 acres, Toy Story Land at Walt Disney World is nearly as big as Cars Land at 12 acres. The land is physically massive with so little to see or do and so poorly designed that the new restaurant is an expansion instead of fitting into the land itself,

My95cobras

The Guardians coaster is supposed to unlike an previous indoor coaster for both the experience and the length. Yes it took longer to build than the Velocicoaster. The additional show elements are going to be much more immersive.

5 years? Entire theme parks get built in less time.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I likely wasn't going to care much about TSL regardless, but it just doesn't have the level of theming I'd expect to see at a Disney park -- even for a kiddie area. The whole thing looks like it was done on the cheap and thrown up as quickly as possible. Dinorama gets a ton of hate (understandably so), but it's still a more cohesive and better designed/themed area than Toy Story Land.

Obviously YMMV, but I think it's the most poorly designed area at any WDW park by a pretty wide margin outside of maybe the circus area at Magic Kingdom, which is just kind of bizarre and mostly a waste of space. It's huge and yet has little to do, and the theming is haphazard at best.

And yet, TSL is a favorite of several families I know - mine included. There's something about it that's just -- fun.
5 years? Entire theme parks get built in less time.

Most theme parks don't get built in the middle of a global pandemic though.

Chip Chipperson

And yet, TSL is a favorite of several families I know - mine included. There's something about it that's just -- fun.

Not only do they not get built during a pandemic, they have the luxury of not having to organize construction around paying guests. Nobody loves the construction walls at Epcot, but I bet we'd all hate it even more if the construction forced everyone to enter through the World Showcase entrance and meant closing Future World completely until all construction was finished. Combining the pandemic with the need to work on these projects while guests are in the park makes things a little more complicated.

ToTBellHop

Disney is slow. We know this. But blaming them for delaying due to covid is silly. Universal is delaying its new park, as well. We will include the delay in its construction timeline?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think your counts are a bit off here. I count (weirdly enough) exactly 50 for WDW once Rat, Tron, and GotG open. There are a few attractions I didn't count as rides that perhaps you included (e.g. CoP, the Wildlife Express, etc.), but I can't imagine how you would get to 56. For UO, I count 29 right now (I think you meant to say 26, not 16, based on your subsequent math). Regardless, WDW will still have more rides after EU opens.
You're right, I meant 26 rides at Universal.

You can check my work for total count...

1632515895027.png

1632515930055.png

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney is slow. We know this. But blaming them for delaying due to covid is silly. Universal is delaying its new park, as well. We will include the delay in its construction timeline?
I'm not sure I follow you - are you saying that the pandemic didn't have an understandable impact on timelines?

James Alucobond

I'm not sure I follow you - are you saying that the pandemic didn't have an understandable impact on timelines?
He’s saying the opposite by noting that including the pandemic slowdown in the Cosmic Rewind timeline is akin to including it in the overall Epic Universe timeline, both of which are ridiculous and ignore unprecedented extenuating circumstances.

mikejs78

Premium Member
He’s saying the opposite by noting that including the pandemic slowdown in the Cosmic Rewind timeline is akin to including it in the overall Epic Universe timeline, both of which are ridiculous and ignore unprecedented extenuating circumstances.
Which was kind of my point - maybe I didn't say it clearly enough...

DisneyDodo

Both resorts had pandemic-induced delays, but they responded to the pandemic in very different ways overall.
I’m not arguing which company invests more in its parks generally (that’s a separate discussion), but which scaled back spending more as a result of the pandemic. Every Disney attraction you mentioned was significantly delayed. The fact that Disney opened nothing in a year and a half may not seem like such a big deal on its surface, but it is when you consider that 2020-21 was projected to be a particularly busy time for WDW ahead of the 50th. Universal was expected to open less than typical over the next few years even before the pandemic, due to them expending so many resources on EU.

The companies’ philosophies when it came to the pandemic can be summarized as follows:

Disney -
Too far along to cancel? Delay one year
Not too far along to cancel? Cancel

Uni -
Too far along to cancel? Full steam ahead
Not too far along to cancel? Delay one year

Cesar R M

Disney World is opening two E-ticket roller coasters next year. C’mon. There is a perception that Disney is trying to get more money from us (and Universal isn’t with Express Passes?) but no one sees Pandora, Toy Story Land, SWGE, MMRR, Rat, and the two coasters on the way and claims Disney is being lazy.
Just a REAL question.. anyone got the NET gain of attractions?

If I remember we lost or cheapened :

1. Stitch
  2. Maelstrom
  3. Captain EO.
  4. Cranium Command
  5. Ellen's
  6. Innoventions
  7. Bunch of live entertainment on all parks.
  8. Greatest Movie ride
  9. Indiana Jones spectacular
  10. Primeval Whirl
  11. Nemo
  12. Night parades
  13. bunch more but too lazy to list.

Extras lost:

1. Magical Express.
  2. Park hours.
  3. Park Perks.

We gained

1. Seven Dwarfs
  2. Frozen
  3. Remy's
  4. FOP
  5. River Boat Avatar.
  6. Replacement shows.
  7. Rise of the Resistance
  8. Smugglers (pretty crap but hey..)
  9. A few others...

Upcoming

1. TRON
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy.

UNCgolf

Just a REAL question.. anyone got the NET gain of attractions?

If I remember we lost or cheapened :

1. Stitch
  2. Maelstrom
  3. Captain EO.
  4. Cranium Command
  5. Ellen's
  6. Innoventions
  7. Bunch of live entertainment on all parks.
  8. Greatest Movie ride
  9. Indiana Jones spectacular
  10. Primeval Whirl
  11. Nemo
  12. Night parades
  13. bunch more but too lazy to list.

Extras lost:

1. Magical Express.
  2. Park hours.
  3. Park Perks.

We gained

1. Seven Dwarfs
  2. Frozen
  3. Remy's
  4. FOP
  5. River Boat Avatar.
  6. Replacement shows.
  7. Rise of the Resistance
  8. Smugglers (pretty crap but hey..)
  9. A few others...

Upcoming

1. TRON
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy.

I assume the Indiana Jones Spectacular will be coming back eventually and we know Nemo is coming back (albeit in "reimagined" form), but we also lost the Studio Backlot Tour at DHS (even though it was already significantly diminished from its peak). Listing Captain EO is weird because if you're going that far back you could list Horizons and Imagination too.

Slinky Dog Dash, Alien Swirling Saucers, and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway also go in your gained column.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom