Zootopia lawsuit?

Bairstow

And here I always assumed Zootopia was based on Williams' "Police Force."

1790368-pf2.jpg

SteamboatJoe

The movie came out a year ago and was publicized before that and he just now decided to take this to court? Guess he wanted to see how well it did first to see how much he should ask for. Plus, don't want to claim to be the actual writer of a movie that ended up bombing at the box office.

Bairstow

The movie came out a year ago and was publicized before that and he just now decided to take this to court? Guess he wanted to see how well it did first to see how much he should ask for. Plus, don't want to claim to be the actual writer of a movie that ended up bombing at the box office.

Well...yeah. You've got three years to file and it's not like he'd be asking for an injunction to stop the publication of anything.

Yert3

So does anyone here actually believe he has a chance of winning? Surprisingly, a lot of people on the Zootopia subreddit are saying he does.

SteamboatJoe

So does anyone here actually believe he has a chance of winning? Surprisingly, a lot of people on the Zootopia subreddit are saying he does.

Hard to tell without more info. There are 2 sides to every story and complaints often leave out facts that hurt their case. If he has enough to substantiate at least some of his claims, I would think Disney would settle...but I didn't go to law school so that is just an uneducated guess.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Well...yeah. You've got three years to file and it's not like he'd be asking for an injunction to stop the publication of anything.

To be fair, if it's true than he deserves something. I am no lawyer but I would think the timing of the lawsuit at least brings the plaintiff's motivation into question and would likely be used by the defense to weaken the claim's credibility.

Bairstow

If nothing else, the complaint is an interesting read, particularly since Goldman was already calling it "Zootopia" when he pitched it to Hoberman in 2000 and Brigham Taylor in 2009.

zootopia-lawsuit-images.jpeg

Bairstow

To be fair, if it's true than he deserves something. I am no lawyer but I would think the timing of the lawsuit at least brings the plaintiff's motivation into question and would likely be used by the defense to weaken the claim's credibility.
I don't think the timing is suspect at all.
It takes a while to put something like this together, and we don't know whether McFarland had been working on a possible agreement between Disney and Goldman prior to filing. For all we know they may have been in talks prior to the movie's release.

SteamboatJoe

I don't think the timing is suspect at all.
It takes a while to put something like this together, and we don't know whether McFarland had been working on a possible agreement between Disney and Goldman prior to filing. For all we know they may have been in talks prior to the movie's release.

It may or may not be. As you alluded to, it would depend on facts not known at this time. Under the scenario you describe, I would agree it isn't suspect but if it came out of the blue, it's timing could be questioned. It may not be the primary defense Disney would employ or rely on but it could be a legitimate point to bring up for consideration. That's not to say it would necessarily be a good or successful defense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom