Zootopia Coming March 2016

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
I saw the picture of her character; elsewhere on the internet, Rule 34 shouted with joy.
Here you go

shakira-1000x600.jpg

Brer Panther

Jason Bateman, Ginnifer Goodwin, Alan Tudyk, Katie Lowes, and now Shakira.

I'm pretty sure Alan and Ginnifer are the only ones with voice-acting experience.

Matt_Black

Wait who''s voice acting in this so far other than Alan, and Shakira?

Jason Bateman, Ginny Goodwin, Alan Tudyk, and Shakira have been the only cast members announced so far. Jason Bateman, to his credit, has done voice acting in the past as well- he was Hermes on Justice League Unlimited.

Brer Panther

And Ginny has been in at least one of the Tinker Bell movies. But seriously, SHAKIRA?

Casting Shakira in an animated movie sounds like something DreamWorks or Blue Sky would do. Seriously, can't we have Jim Cummings play a lion or an elephant somewhere? Or maybe David Ogden Stiers could play a character, they used to use him all the time...

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
And Ginny has been in at least one of the Tinker Bell movies. But seriously, SHAKIRA?

Casting Shakira in an animated movie sounds like something DreamWorks or Blue Sky would do. Seriously, can't we have Jim Cummings play a lion or an elephant somewhere? Or maybe David Ogden Stiers could play a character, they used to use him all the time...
Unfortunately, this won't stop until either Lasseter or his successor changes things.

Matt_Black

Jim Cummings isn't hurting for work from Disney.

Anyway, I see this as little different from getting Dinah Shore in Fun & Fancy Free or Bing Crosby in The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Anyway, I see this as little different from getting Dinah Shore in Fun & Fancy Free or Bing Crosby in The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad.
Don't forget Edgar Bergen also in Fun & Fancy Free! Or Louis Prima in The Jungle Book or Eva Gabor in The Aristocats and both Rescuers movies or Mickey Rooney and Kurt Russell in The Fox and the Hound or Billy Joel in Oliver and Company or Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons, and Whoopi Goldberg in The Lion King...

I could go on but I think the point has been made: Disney's been using celebrity voice actors for years and there really is no difference between this and previous instances.

Brer Panther

Disney hasn't used a veteran as a major character in their movies since 2011 (besides Alan Tudyk and maybe T.J. Miller). Maurice LaMarche being in Frozen does NOT count, he didn't have that many lines.

Also, there's a difference between casting somebody who happens to be, you know, an actor like James Earl Jones as a character in an animated movie and casting a pop star with very little acting experience as a character in an animated movie. This isn't like Jeremy Irons voicing Scar, it's like Tiffany voicing Judy in The Jetsons Movie.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Also, there's a difference between casting somebody who happens to be, you know, an actor like James Earl Jones as a character in an animated movie and casting a pop star with very little acting experience as a character in an animated movie.

You mean like Louie Prima in The Jungle Book or Billy Joel in Oliver & Company?

Brer Panther

Okay, yes, it's kind of like that.

I hate the "it's happened before" excuse. That's like saying it'd be okay for someone to rob a bank because somebody else has already done it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom