1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Zootopia Coming March 2016

Discussion in 'Animation, Movies, TV' started by RandomPrincess, Aug 9, 2013.

1. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

If Zootopia came out in the mid 90's it would have had it's own parade similar to the Aladdin or Toy Story Parade.

Also yes Judy and Nick can currently be found during the Creepa Crew before the Halloween Parade and the Move It Shake It Celebrate which I wouldn't call a "Parade". They were meetable during the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Cesar R M and Princess Leia like this.
  2. ForeverAnna

ForeverAnna Well-Known Member

You could meet them at DCA earlier this year. Not sure if they're still there.

brb1006 likes this.
  3. brb1006

They are still at DCA after seeing recent videos.

4. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Original Poster Premium Member

I think Zootopia's message was more meaningful to the times we are currently living in. It's not often you have an animated film dealing with things like stereotyping, racism etc. Moana is more traditional. For me it was a toss up, I probably would have went Moana but I'm not upset with the way things went.

5. Cesar R M

Cesar R M Well-Known Member

Agree. Moana is the traditional princess movie on a quest. As other said, it looks like a Little mermaid but in reverse.

Zootopia resonated more than ever thanks to the current political and social issues of the world.

Fox&Hound likes this.
  6. Evan-500

Evan-500 Well-Known Member

Zootopia was a much braver movie, with a great message. Bravo. Well deserved.

7. Yert3

Yert3 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm shocked how many people are saying Moana was better. It had great music for sure, but it was pretty formulaic. Zootopia blew me away! I was in awe leaving the theatre. I liked it so much I went to see it five times. I even saw a few people on Twitter who went to go see it every day in one month. I don't see people doing that for a lot of other movies.

8. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

Why is it shocking that someone prefers a good animated musical over good animated non-musical?

9. Yert3

Yert3 Well-Known Member

It's shocking because when Zootopia came out it was praised so highly because it was so different. Moana was kind of "back to normal" in a way, and people are freaking out on tumblr and Facebook saying zootopia sucked and Moana was way better. I feel like it should have been no surprise that zootopia would win is what I'm saying.

10. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

Both have been praised highly but for different reasons...it wasn't a surprise that Zootopia won. And it wouldn't have been a surprise if Moana won either...at least to me. I don't think you are giving Moana enough credit and are overselling Zootopia just a tad.

I could still see Moana winning the Oscar as the award shows don't always match up.

11. Yert3

Yert3 Well-Known Member

IMG_0977.PNG IMG_0978.PNG IMG_0979.PNG
    You're right. It wasn't. But a lot of people seem to think so

jensenrick, Cesar R M and tcool123 like this.
  12. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

Seems like a pretty good reason to bump the thread....

Congrats to Zootopia, well deserved. I was afraid it would be forgotten during award season since it came out so long ago; I guess we'll see with the Oscars.

13. Matt_Black

Matt_Black Well-Known Member

Zootopia hands down. Aside from the brilliant and relevant script, it was just a fascinating look at world building, taking a concept and then saying, "Okay, but how does that work in practical terms? What does that MEAN?" and then running with it. Moana, by comparison, was bog standard Hero's Journey type stuff. Very well done Hero's Journey type stuff, but something we've seen many times before.

14. brb1006

It's one of those films that really sucks you into the environment (especially if you saw the film in theater) forgetting that your in a movie theater because of how lovely and creative most of the setting is. Especially the city of Zootopia.

jensenrick and fox_198 like this.
  15. brb1006

Zootopia won Oscar for Best Animated Picture!:D:D

16. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

No surprise, but well deserved.

jensenrick and brb1006 like this.
  17. Sped2424

Sped2424 Well-Known Member

Agree a thousand times over ^ Moana was a lot of the same but BRILLIANTLy a lot of the same. Zootopia pushed boundaries and limits while making the story accessible to adults and kids. Moana just didn't push any of the same envelopes Zootopia deserved that oscar as for the gen pop the oscars are very much a popularity contest for them a lot of the time so it's no surprise the princess film is the one audiences hold more dear in terms of who should win.

Fox&Hound and brb1006 like this.
  18. Matt_Black

Matt_Black Well-Known Member

Zootopia was just... from the world-building to the story to the character development, it was mind-blowing.

19. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

Both Zootopia and Moana were great films. Zootopia just delivered on an original level that Moana couldn't compete with. Moana was still a great movie and shows just how high that bar is. Disney animation's come a long way in the last ten years.

20. fox_198

fox_198 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad won. I may be biased because I saw it in theaters 3 times and didn't see any of the other nominees... BUT. I love Zootopia nonetheless