Zootopia characters confirmed

Thumper 32

Original Poster
The El Capitan has announced that Nick and Judy will be appearing live on stage prior to Zootopia screenings. And there will be a breakfast with Judy on weekends.

So we know that unlike some other recent movies, there will be characters made. Now will they show up as meetable at WDW? Seems unlikely, but we'll see.

FigmentJedi

I feel like Zootopia's pretty likely to show up in the parks themselves. Definitely see them being shoved somewhere at Animal Kingdom.

Inside Out got character walkarounds, they were just too dumb to use them in the stateside parks and Good Dinosaur was too impractical to do walkarounds for period. Would have to be an expensive puppet thing for Arlo.

brb1006

I feel like Zootopia's pretty likely to show up in the parks themselves. Definitely see them being shoved somewhere at Animal Kingdom.

Inside Out got character walkarounds, they were just too dumb to use them in the stateside parks and Good Dinosaur was too impractical to do walkarounds for period. Would have to be an expensive puppet thing for Arlo.
Zootopia will fit very perfectly in Animal Kingdom.

brb1006

The El Capitan has announced that Nick and Judy will be appearing live on stage prior to Zootopia screenings. And there will be a breakfast with Judy on weekends.

So we know that unlike some other recent movies, there will be characters made. Now will they show up as meetable at WDW? Seems unlikely, but we'll see.
I'm going to bet that might become meetable sometime during spring 2016 somewhere in Animal Kingdom which is currently my prediction.

Matt_Black

Seeing as Zootopia has already become a hit with Furries (check out the recent article on Cartoon Brew, can't link it here. NSFW). Disney may not want to have these characters in the parks.

Well, Robin Hood is VERY popular with furries (seriously, I've seen them try to argue that it's better than The Lion King or Beauty & The Beast!), and that doesn't stop them from trotting those characters out from time to time. Though it WOULD explain why they don't bring them out more often....

FerretAfros

Zootopia will fit very perfectly in Animal Kingdom.
I disagree.

From The Lion King, to the Jungle Book, to Pocahontas, to Finding Nemo, to Bambi, the characters in DAK all act like animals in their films. The whole point of Zootopia is that it's animals doing people-things. Animals-as-people characters, like those in Robin Hood, The Aristocats, or The Rescuers have been carefully avoided throughout the park's history.

The only exceptions to this rule are Mickey and friends (who are unavoidable in WDW) and the Pooh crew (who were similarly unavoidable when the park opened, but their popularity has waned some). These are both holdovers from the Camp Minnie-Mickey days, and one could argue that were supposed to be temporary then, and are enough of the Disney brand to excuse their presence now.

I think Zootopia would be a better fit for MK or the Studios. Lord knows the Studios needs all the help it can get right now, so perhaps it would benefit the most from having the "additional" capacity of a meet & greet that can process tens of guests per hour

Matt_Black

I disagree.

From The Lion King, to the Jungle Book, to Pocahontas, to Finding Nemo, to Bambi, the characters in DAK all act like animals in their films. The whole point of Zootopia is that it's animals doing people-things. Animals-as-people characters, like those in Robin Hood, The Aristocats, or The Rescuers have been carefully avoided throughout the park's history.

The only exceptions to this rule are Mickey and friends (who are unavoidable in WDW) and the Pooh crew (who were similarly unavoidable when the park opened, but their popularity has waned some). These are both holdovers from the Camp Minnie-Mickey days, and one could argue that were supposed to be temporary then, and are enough of the Disney brand to excuse their presence now.

I think Zootopia would be a better fit for MK or the Studios. Lord knows the Studios needs all the help it can get right now, so perhaps it would benefit the most from having the "additional" capacity of a meet & greet that can process tens of guests per hour

I'm going to argue that they are different than Robin Hood. In that film, they were otherwise just people that looked like animals. In this film, the premise is animals evolving into people-like forms, but still exhibiting some of their ancestral traits. (In fact, the whole premise of the film seems to be that someone wants to kick evolution back a notch or two).

doctornick

I'm going to argue that they are different than Robin Hood. In that film, they were otherwise just people that looked like animals. In this film, the premise is animals evolving into people-like forms, but still exhibiting some of their ancestral traits. (In fact, the whole premise of the film seems to be that someone wants to kick evolution back a notch or two).

Agreed. This film seems to be a mix of the "animals behaving as animals, but we can understand them" and the "animals behaving as people who are no different than people other than they look like animals". The premise of the film is for this to be entirely different than the likes of Robin Hood.

That said, I tend to agree with @FerretAfros point that the Zootopia animals aren't as good of a fit for DAK. If they appear in WDW, I expect they will appear in DHS -- we've already heard that there are plans to increase the number of M&G's there to compensate for closures of additional attractions.

asianway

Agreed. This film seems to be a mix of the "animals behaving as animals, but we can understand them" and the "animals behaving as people who are no different than people other than they look like animals". The premise of the film is for this to be entirely different than the likes of Robin Hood.

That said, I tend to agree with @FerretAfros point that the Zootopia animals aren't as good of a fit for DAK. If they appear in WDW, I expect they will appear in DHS -- we've already heard that there are plans to increase the number of M&G's there to compensate for closures of additional attractions.
DHS already added a LOT of characters in the form of Launch Bay, a couple in Jedi Training and 2 "people eating" dance parties. They are already starting to rein the rest in, P&F, Cars, Monsters...

Cmdr_Crimson

In this film, the premise is animals evolving into people-like forms, but still exhibiting some of their ancestral traits. (In fact, the whole premise of the film seems to be that someone wants to kick evolution back a notch or two).

They did that same idea before....But, with Dinosaurs/Humans....Oh, what was it again..Ah!
super-mario-movie-poster.jpg

Last edited:

brb1006

IMO It's a guilty pleasure film. Sure it tanked but, makes you wonder if it was a success Eisner would have figured something to do with them since the movie is under the Disney Empire..
I remember Disney was planning on bringing Nintendo to the Disney Parks back when the film was new. They later ditched Nintendo when the film flopped though.

Brer Panther

It's probably gonna be pretty weird seeing Judy as tall as Nick. Of course, I found it a little weird seeing Ralph and Vanellope the same size too...
I disagree.

Good point, but what about Lilo and Stitch? That movie had squat to do with animals (aside from Stitch looking like a koala) and yet that didn't stop them from appearing at Animal Kingdom during Stitch's popularity.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's probably gonna be pretty weird seeing Judy as tall as Nick. Of course, I found it a little weird seeing Ralph and Vanellope the same size too...

Good point, but what about Lilo and Stitch? That movie had squat to do with animals

Same thing as well for Gov Radcliffe doing odd M&G's at AK Front Gate...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom