Zippo Sues Disney on Cartoon

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Zippo Sues Disney on Cartoon

ERIE, Pa. (AP) -- Bradford, Pa.-based Zippo lighter company last week sued Walt Disney Co. and television network ABC, claiming an animated dinosaur with the same name as the legendary lighters is cashing in on the Zippo name. The lawsuit, filed June 7, wants Disney and ABC to rename the dinosaur, featured in the "Di-notopia" miniseries, and give the lighter maker any profits made from "Zippo" dinosaur merchandise. The law-suit also names The Beanstalk Group Inc., a licensing agency, and Hallmark Entertainment Distribution LLC. Disney officials declined to comment and referred all questions to the television network. ABC spokeswoman Julie Hoover declined to comment, saying network officials hadn't received the lawsuit. The cartoon Zippo is a main character in the miniseries, based on books written by James Gurney, where humans and dinosaurs live together on a lost continent. According to the lawsuit, Beanstalk has arranged deals for video games, cell phones, videotapes and other products featuring Zippo the dinosaur, while ABC plans to release the six-hour miniseries on video and DVD in July.

Dawn S

OK, this is seriously the stupidest, most baseless lawsuit I have ever heard of. Good grief....sounds like "Metallica law" to me. How ridiculous.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Sounds very logical to me.

Originally posted by Dawn S
OK, this is seriously the stupidest, most baseless lawsuit I have ever heard of. Good grief....sounds like "Metallica law" to me. How ridiculous.

As I understand, the Zippo company has both a trademark and a copyright on the name "Zippo". I don't think the name can be used for commercial purposes unless fees are paid. I can't use the name (or picture of) Mickey Mouse for commercial purposes unless Disney approves and then I have to pay them a fee. I think Zippo may have a good case. I'll bet Disney settles this one out of court!

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Chain reaction.

Originally posted by Rider
The issue here is that the name was from the book. Disney was only using the book's content.

You are correct sir! However, just as in a "chain reaction" auto accident, someone has to pay. For example, if you are in your car at a stop light and another car is behind you and they too are stopped, and then another car hits the car behind you and rams it into your car.....every insurance company pays in line and subrogates. The big money comes from the deepest pockets. I still think Disney will settle this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom