Zika in Disney???

DiSnEyF@n

Anyone worried about getting Zika while in Orlando this summer? I am pregnant and hubby and I are "thinking" (totally might not even go) about going to Disney in July and I'm terrified of getting Zika while there. It really might be the only reason why I don't go.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
@Disneyhead'71 are you saying people won't die in a car crash this summer? Are you willing to bet your child's life one it?

The question is exactly the same except that your odds of dying in a car crash are orders of magnitude greater than your risk of contracting Zika.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Ugh, I hate when my posts turn into bickering... I just wanted to know about Zika in Florida. I just wanted to make an informed decision about MY vacatation based on any risks that may be known.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Ugh, I hate when my posts turn into bickering... I just wanted to know about Zika in Florida. I just wanted to make an informed decision about MY vacatation based on any risks that may be known.
That's all I'm trying to point out. The risks are remarkably small, practically zero, and far less than any other risks you might encounter by walking out your door.

Upvote 0

Disneyhead'71

@Disneyhead'71 are you saying people won't die in a car crash this summer? Are you willing to bet your child's life one it?

The question is exactly the same except that your odds of dying in a car crash are orders of magnitude greater than your risk of contracting Zika.
Yes, people will die in crashes. I was looking at a motorcycle rider who blasted into the side of an 18 wheeler at 100 mph at 4:30am this morning. But driving is something that most of us HAVE to do daily. We don't HAVE to go to WDW while pregnant during the period the CDC has warned pregnant ladies to avoid WDW. It is an unnecessary risk. Like skydiving.

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

In my opinion...if you're worried that you have even the slightest chance in catching this...then stay home. Though for me, I wouldn't be worried; as Cap said...you're more likely to have a car accident than contract this virus. I'd be far more worried about all the foreigners with less than standard bathing habits than some mosquito biting me.

Upvote 0

Disneyhead'71

In my opinion...if you're worried that you have even the slightest chance in catching this...then stay home. Though for me, I wouldn't be worried; as Cap said...you're more likely to have a car accident than contract this virus. I'd be far more worried about all the foreigners with less than standard bathing habits than some mosquito biting me.
There is no reason to be alarmed, just aware. The risk, at the moment, is very low, virtually nil. I live in Orlando and am not concerned at all. I'm a 52 yo male, and my teenage daughters aren't preggers. Carry on.

That said, with all the info including the recent warning, if my wife were pregnant, we would be exploring Yellowstone this summer. Zika aside, Orlando in July really isn't all that pleasant when your not pregnant. I can't imagine volunteering for it with a bad case of the big belly. Just wait six months and start filling the little snot monster's head with a life long addiction to Disney Parks®

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
There is no reason to be alarmed, just aware. The risk, at the moment, is very low, virtually nil. I live in Orlando and am not concerned at all. I'm a 52 yo male, and my teenage daughters aren't preggers. Carry on.

That said, with all the info including the recent warning, if my wife were pregnant, we would be exploring Yellowstone this summer. Zika aside, Orlando in July really isn't all that pleasant when your not pregnant. I can't imagine volunteering for it with a bad case of the big belly. Just wait six months and start filling the little snot monster's head with a life long addiction to Disney Parks®

Lol I like "snot monster" lol I call my daughter booger face sometimes and it makes me giggle. Thanks for the laughs :D

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I have never been bitten by a mosquito while in Disney. We go in the hot/humid summer, and go at night! I get bitten at home more than at Disney! I believe their "pest control" is just as magical as their parks. Go and enjoy!:)

I've definitely though about that too... And I agree with you.

Upvote 0

BrianV

We are going to Florida in the summer. There are many mosquito born illnesses that have terrible effects and Zola is just one.

That said, we don't adequately understand zika yet and the relationship to birth defects is also unknown. If my wife or daughter were pregnant I would skip this year. As others have said the risk is probably close to zero and the drive or plane flight no doubt represents a higher risk. But since we would worry about it non the less, it would ruin our vacation.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
UPDATE:
For anyone that may be reading this, I have just received an email from What to Expect When You're Expecting about Zika and travel for women that may be pregnant. They have teamed up with the CDC to keep families informed of the disease. It specifically stated that there is NOT any case of Zika in Florida at this time that is from a mosquito bite and there is no health risks involved to traveling to the state of Florida this summer.

Upvote 0

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I can see both sides of the coin on this one. However, there are a TON of diseases you can catch in the germ infested hotels/parks of WDW, just add another one to the list. I wouldn't not go because there is a 1 and a 1,000,000,000 chance you can get this disease.

Upvote 0

Louis Manz

In US Nowadays, Zika is becoming a serious issue, especially in pregnant womens. A few days ago I have also heard about the Zika virus disease, caused by a virus transmitted primarily through Aedes mosquitoes founds mostly in the north area. Pest like mosquitoes, rats, bedbugs, termites and many more are nowadays spreading serious ill effects in humans. The only way to get rid of such pests is to contact professional mosquito, bug, termite Rodent Exterminator like or other professionals from Florida and other locality you may live.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom