Zika Impact

jloucks

Wait what? You are finding joy in an impact on Florida tourism and potential financial impact of many? Because you are upset with Disney's prices?

No there's nothing amusing about a disabled child. Everyone who lives in Florida should move..NOW! I understand concern, precautions, and education...if I was still living in SoFla, and pregnant, I would be concerned. I don't understand panic.
No, you read it wrong. Florida brought in zika bugs because of gouging. You would think with the cost of importing insects they could just lower prices a little.:hungry:

21stamps

"Some of South Florida's $24 billion in tourism business is likely to go elsewhere."

See, that is the kind of weasel wording that drives me nuts. Some could be $10, or it could be $10b. pfft. At least make an educated guess.
Me too. I'm not saying it won't have any impact, but that line is pure speculation, and sensationalism. Look at the cruise industry over the last year. Ships are still selling, people are still traveling.
No, you read it wrong. Florida brought in zika bugs because of gouging. You would think with the cost of importing insects they could just lower prices a little.:hungry:
Ahhhhh....ok ;)

rob0519

There is nothing amusing about the potential of having a disabled child.

It may not be in Orlando yet but it most certainly will be in the future (if not already). WDW asked for this due to their greed and price gouging over the past years and I hope it gets in their pocket big time!

Gov. Rick Scott confirms locally transmitted Zika virus case in Pinellas County

Wait! How on earth can you make a statement like "WDW asked for this due to their greed and price gouging over the past years"?
Are you saying some form of God is sending down a biblical plague of mosquitos to Orlando because an amusement park raised their prices beyond your liking? If that is your thought process, what is the reasoning for the cases in near Tampa and Miami?

21stamps

Wait! How on earth can you make a statement like "WDW asked for this due to their greed and price gouging over the past years"?
Are you saying some form of God is sending down a biblical plague of mosquitos to Orlando because an amusement park raised their prices beyond your liking? If that is your thought process, what is the reasoning for the cases in near Tampa and Miami?
Have you seen drink prices in Miami?! That's asking for it!!! ;)

Tampa, they should be spared, they're already punished enough... ;)

rob0519

Have you seen drink prices in Miami?! That's asking for it!!! ;)

Tampa, they should be spared, they're already punished enough... ;)

No, Other than two one night stay overs in Miami before a cruise I have no experience with Miami prices.

Tampa, well yeah, that may be true.

Aqueeta

Bad things happen to bad people. It is called Karma and by raising prices to unfathomable levels, Disney asked for this. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of crooks and I hope it stings very, very bad. Perhaps by our next trip in 2018, I will be able to buy a Mickey Bar for each of my kids without having to tap into their education fund.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Bad things happen to bad people. It is called Karma and by raising prices to unfathomable levels, Disney asked for this. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of crooks and I hope it stings very, very bad. Perhaps by our next trip in 2018, I will be able to buy a Mickey Bar for each of my kids without having to tap into their education fund.
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: your hilarious
If you can't afford a couple of Mickey bars then perhaps you should vacation elsewhere. Disney World isn't for everyone ...

Aqueeta

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: your hilarious
If you can't afford a couple of Mickey bars then perhaps you should vacation elsewhere. Disney World isn't for everyone ...
I was being sarcastic but if you are happy paying an arm and a leg every time you visit Disney, have at it. We all know that Disney sets the bar when it comes to pricing and I will guarantee that once ZIKA sucks some of the greed out of their business model, they will bring their prices down and others will follow suit.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I was being sarcastic but if you are happy paying an arm and a leg every time you visit Disney, have at it. We all know that Disney sets the bar when it comes to pricing and I will guarantee that once ZIKA sucks some of the greed out of their business model, they will bring their prices down and others will follow suit.
Keep up with it i need the amusement . Zika (see what i didn't do there) won't have a huge impact on tourist numbers (i predict) . It hasn't impacted the cruise industry like it had been predicted either.

Aqueeta

Keep up with it i need the amusement . Zika (see what i didn't do there) won't have a huge impact on tourist numbers (i predict) . It hasn't impacted the cruise industry like it had been predicted either.
How many young families go on cruises? ZIKA will keep those who are pregnant or who want to become pregnant away.

21stamps

How many young families go on cruises? ZIKA will keep those who are pregnant or who want to become pregnant away.
This is just not true.

Zika has been around for quite some time now. Most cruise lines were even allowing cancellations (on certain itineraries) by pregnant women.

It Has Not Had A Major Impact. Or even close.

You should read reports if you want to make a statement like that. Also, for those of us who do have a cruise this year, we have been paying attention. Do you think of the cruise lines were in trouble that they wouldn't have dropped their prices? They haven't. They're just going higher, and the ships are near full.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Why do you have to keep shouting Zika ?
It will keep aome away but not enough to hurt Disneys bottom line. You expect people to be aware of it when half the time newcomers have no idea about FP and dining options :rolleyes:

SorcererMC

The impact on the cruise industry remains to be seen, because Zika awareness (among US tourists to the Caribbean) was low this year during high season. But the problem tourists are facing is that refunds are being evaluated on a case-by-case basis or credit vouchers issued, and most travel insurance policies wouldn't cover something like Zika. I would expect a slight decline this upcoming season ~Dec-March.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
The impact on the cruise industry remains to be seen, because Zika awareness (among US tourists to the Caribbean) was low this year during high season. But the problem tourists are facing is that refunds are being evaluated on a case-by-case basis or credit vouchers issued, and most travel insurance policies wouldn't cover something like Zika. I would expect a slight decline this upcoming season ~Dec-March.
I agree it might see a slight decline but i doubt it will be the plunge into oblivion some are casting around

Last edited:

21stamps

I agree it might see a slight decline but i doubt it will be the plunge into oblivion some are casting around
Over on a certain cruise site who has some critics.. I have read several people post that they are putting off family planning until some time after their already scheduled cruise.

There are of course a few in planning stages, or already pregnant, who are looking at different itineraries other than the Caribbean for their next destination.. But I have yet to read people are actually cancelling. Not saying they aren't, I just don't think it's a large portion like some here are making it out to be.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
I read in the Sentinel this morning that Disney is going to start providing free insect repellent throughout the resort. Can't say I blame them at all especially since a new case was confirmed in Pinellas county.

I'd rather them be overcautious then not at all.

21stamps

I read in the Sentinel this morning that Disney is going to start providing free insect repellent throughout the resort. Can't say I blame them at all especially since a new case was confirmed in Pinellas county.

I'd rather them be overcautious then not at all.
Wow, I don't think anyone could find anything negative to say about this. That's above and beyond. Kudos to them.

Chef Mickey

Probably should avoid Disney if Mickey Bars (or even the whole trip) are tapping into their education funds.

By the way. Bad things happen to good people too.

Bad things just happen. Disney has done a lot of good, probably far more than any bad they've done. You're just being ridiculous.

21stamps

Probably should avoid Disney if Mickey Bars (or even the whole trip) are tapping into their education funds.
Shame on you. Disney is a birthright.
It needs to be comfortably affordable to all.

I wonder if some people have checked prices on other destinations.. Atlantis and any Beaches Resort are great "family destinations". Both are super cheap compared to Disney, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom