1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Youth Baseball/ Sports/Tryouts

Discussion in 'Sports' started by 21stamps, Aug 6, 2017.

1. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this thread.. but I thought it might be nice to hear from total strangers about kid's sports ;)

I have one child. 7 year old starting 2nd grade later this month, Spring 2010 birth year.

Just had our first ever sports tryouts. 9U Select at his school (not a travel team). I was a nervous wreck and will be until we find out if he made it!

School Sports were not like this at such a young age when I was a kid.

I have put my foot down on travel baseball, I won't allow my child to try out. I am completely against emphasizing one sport at this young of an age. I want him to play all sports and narrow it down when older.

What do other parents here do? Do you find your kids benefit from playing "up" in age and on a select team? How do you draw the line between too much practice and the right amount, or how hard to push them, or what you won't allow even when they ask? i.e. Travel Baseball in my family. I am completely afraid to see his reaction if he doesn't make the stacked 9U team though!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member Original Poster

Bumping because second round of tryouts are Sunday.. we have a private lesson scheduled for today at a Baseball Academy here.

The more I think about it, the more I regret these tryouts. I think it's too much pressure for a 7 year old to compete with kids 2 years older than him as well as kids his age.

Also, I just have a general problem with school stacked teams starting this young,, when I was a kid it didn't start until 6th grade. They're taking too much talent away from the other teams.

I'm also worried about the following 2 scenarios-

1. He doesn't make it and is absolutely crushed.
    2. He makes it and doesn't get to play his normal positions because older kids have more experience and are better than him.
    Part of me would rather my kid be the bottom of the talent end on a great team to motivate him.. the other part of me is worried that it could discourage him if he doesn't play as much, and end up setting him back.

I'd love to hear from other parents here who have dealt with any of this.