Your Top 10 Films of 2015?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
Happy New Year everyone! Hope 2015 was well to you all and hopefully you all enjoyed some amazing films from the past year. That being said i am going to go over and rank the movies i have seen this year. Some of the choices may surprise you and some of them may make you say "what the f*ck is wrong with you". With all that out of the way, lets get started!

10. Everest

This one didnt have me as hooked as most weather movies would. The action scenes and the acting were well done but i wasnt as interested as i thought i would be.

#9. Poltergeist

This movie was lacking something and it probably was the presence of a little white woman going "CAROL-ANNE! DONT GO INTO THE LIGHT CAROL-ANNE!". It definitely strayed away from the original and could of been it's own standalone entry in the franchise but for some strange reason, they decided to call this a reboot. The 2 best scenes? The little girl being pulled up the stairs and the clown attacking the little boy when the lights were out.

8. Sinister 2

This film really went all out with the creepy home movie aspect and it showed Mr. Boogie as more of the demon they were making him out to be in the first movie. The eerie music, especially during the church scene where the rats ate through the people on the floor literally gave me chills down my spine. I would recommend this one if you're marathoning horror franchises.

7. Insurgent

I'm usually not a fan of movies based on fantasy novels but i was dragged out to see this and i kinda enjoyed it. Went into it blind based on the fact that i've never seen Divergent but i probably should go back and marathon these before the 3rd movie comes out.

6. Unfriended

When i first saw the trailer for this movie i got extremely excited. It's not every day you see a horror film that takes what happens on Facebook, YouTube and Skype to a whole new level. From cyberbullying to the spirit of a dead girl essentially being a and not leaving a skype group chat, this will leave you on the edge of your seat. Unless if you're in a call then you cant leave cause then you will be dead. Spoopy. I still enjoyed it though.

5. Tomorrowland

This movie was a colossal flop at the box office (probably due to it coming out a few weeks before Jurassic World) and all the review sites were saying to avoid it at all costs. I didnt, however, and enjoyed it in the process. Hugh Laurie is a damn good villain and i feel like they should of made the lead female take a trip on Space Mountain. That probably would of put this movie higher on my list.

4. San Andreas

Who doesnt love disaster movies? More importantly, who doesnt love disaster movies starring The Rock? This was extremely well done and easily one of the best weather movies of all time. The destruction puts movies like 2012 to shame. The San Andreas fault, massive earthquakes and a tsunami to boot? Definitely a decent popcorn movie.

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Forgive me Star Wars nerds, for i have probably sinned for placing this at the number 3 spot on my list. Before i begin, i'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, ill watch the movies and if theyre good ill enjoy them (ive watched them all and enjoyed them all, yes even the prequels. They exist in my mind.)Many people have said this movie sorta feels like a rehased New Hope and i slightly agree with them, except that the way Rey discovers she has the force was different than Luke's. BB-8 is my new favorite droid, though. I want one...oh and can someone hook me up with Daisy Ridley? Ill pay you in gum.

2. Insidious: Chapter 3

Easily the best horror movie of the year. The scares were executed perfectly and The Man Who Can Not Breathe was a decent demon. I'm still upset this particular episode didnt cover the cliffhanger they left us with at the end of Chapter 2, but this was well done regardless.

1. Jurassic World

My personal movie of the year. Dinosaurs running amuck and eating people is always a good time and i plan on seeing it multiple times throughout all of 2016. It's that good, to me anyway. I do wish they would of shown more than just the old Visitor's Center from the first movie, and i wish they would of shown that at least a little bit longer, but i digress.

If anyone is wondering why i wrote it like this, its cause i put this on Comicbookmovie.com as well.​

sheriffwoody

Oh I love top 10s! Here's mine:

10 - The Hateful Eight. I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan, but I do enjoy his films for the most part. This one had less of his typical excessive gore, but still enough to fit his style. Not his best, but I REALLY enjoyed the experience of the 70mm roadshow. I would support a new standard of intermissions during movies.

9 - Tangerine. Caught this on Netflix and felt like all my senses were being assaulted at once. It was a good ride! It's not for everyone though. My husband only lasted about two minutes. He couldn't handle the way the two main characters talked. I was amazed at what the director was able to do with such a simple story and an iPhone.

8 - Room. The performances in this were astounding. I'm reading the book now and it's written from the little boy's perspective, which is heartbreaking and beautiful all at once. This is definitely one to watch when you feel like you're in a decent emotional state.

7 - The Revenant. Won't say too much about it since not many people have seen it yet. Highly recommend seeing this on the big screen. It's a little self-indulgent (just like Birdman was), but I enjoyed this MUCH more than Birdman. If Leo doesn't get an Oscar for this, the Academy will have done it out of spite. I don't think anyone can argue that he doesn't deserve it this time.

6 - Mad Max Fury Road. This film surprised the heck out of me! I didn't even want to see it, I just went with my husband, but I left wanting to immediately see it again. I spend half the film staring at the screen with my mouth open because it was such a spectacle. Not much to say plot-wise, but for once that didn't bother me. Not many movies stick with me this long after seeing them, but I'm still astounded by this one even months later.

5 - Inside Out. Probably should have been higher, but my top 5 are pretty much interchangeable. This film made me feel all the things, as it's probably intended. I didn't feel emotionally manipulated though, I just felt like it got everything right. Bing Bong is my new favorite character, and I get a little teary eyed just thinking about him.

4 - Star Wars The Force Awakens. I feel like this belongs on its own list completely separate from my top 10 because it was more than just a movie to me (and to a lot of people). Just as a film though, I loved it and it left me wanting desperately to know what comes next. I thought there was a perfect balance of nostalgia and new material here. Rey is a great addition to the characters, and I'm excited to see more from her in the future. I could write a 10 page paper about this one, but I'll just leave it at that.

3 - Carol. This will be one I watch over and over again when it's released. I feel like with my top three, I don't even know what to say about them. I have such a hard time articulating why something like this hits me so hard. Everything just came together so perfectly for me, especially the production design and the acting.

2 - Spotlight. The subject matter was fascinating and so utterly sad at the same time. I couldn't take my eyes off this one. The cast worked so well together, and I'm hoping this one gets a lot of awards buzz and a wider release. The more people see it, the better! I'd love to see more of this type of journalism in the future, even if it takes a different format. I think the director Tom McCarthy deserves a lot of credit here. I wasn't familiar with him before, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him.

1 - Brooklyn. My gosh, what a character. I fell in love with Eilis, mainly because Saoirse Ronan is so dang good. I am a sucker for a story with a really well-developed central character. I am also a sucker for a sensible woman character who overcomes a struggle (or two or three). The scenes in the boarding house were some of my favorites as they added a nice bit of silliness to an otherwise dark story. I cried A LOT during this one. There's one scene at an Irish Christmas dinner where one of the men starts singing, and it's just one of those moments in a film that I'll never forget.

TomHendricks

My Top 10 favorite movies of 2015, that I actually saw...

10. Peanut Movie
9. Antman
8. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
7. Hatefull Eight
6. Jurassic World
5. Ex Machina
4. Inside Out
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. The Martian
1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

As I see more of the movies released in 2015, this list is sure to change. However I'm always behind in seeing movies, so this is how I stand so far.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
My top 3 favorite movies:
  1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (because... Star Wars)
  2. Creed
  3. Spotlight
My top 3 best movies:
  1. Creed
  2. Spotlight
  3. The Revenant
I absolutely loved Creed, I am surprised there isn't more love for it from the Academy, then again I really shouldn't be.

Movies I liked, in no particular order:
  • Inside Out
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Ant-Man
  • The Martian
  • Creed
  • Jurassic World
  • Spotlight
  • The Revenant
  • Straight Outta Compton
Movies I plan on watching this week:
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Bridge of Spies
  • The Hateful Eight

DarthMileZ

Great list JMC.

there were not many films i can list for 2015, Star Wars being the one i was waiting for all year (and oh boy did it deliver)

1) Star Wars (better than the prequels and ROTJ)
2) Creed (best one since Rocky II in my opinion)
3) Jurassic World (better than lost world and 3 )

one film that sucked for me was Poltergeist's remake. as they remade a film that was classic and needed to be untouched.

acishere

I've seen almost everything I wanted to see before making this list. By the time I get to Creed and Hateful 8 and finish the book version of The Martian it will be halfway through summer so I'm going to have to exclude them.
1. Inside Out
2. Spotlight
3. Mad Max Fury Road
4. Sicario
5. Room
6. The Revenant
7. Star Wars TFA
8. Ex-Machina
9. It Follows
10. Trainwreck

Partyfavor

1. Unfriended
2. Sinister 2.
3. Insidious Chapter 3
4. The Visit
5. The Hateful Eight
6. Hotel Transylvania 2
7. Ted 2
8. The Lazarus Effect
9. Sponge Out of Water
10. Terminator: Genisys

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom