Your Thoughts: Girl Meets World

FoozieBear

Original Poster
What do you guys think of Girl Meets World? Personally, I think it's the best television show to come to Disney Channel in over a decade. It's funny and got a lot of emotion, very much how Boy Meets World was. I share my full thoughts here, but what do you guys think? I personally can't get enough of this show. Really glad it's coming back for another season.

stevehousse

For the most part it is a really good show. I don't like that it seems a little more dumbed down than the original Boy Meets World, but we do watch!

prberk

I am hardly ever home, and I have not had a chance to see it; but earlier posts on the forum seemed disappointed that they had reduced the quality from the original series, and made it more broad humor that The Disney Channel is known for these days. Is that true?

I know that I was hoping that they would go the route of the original, with good, original writing that had fun but did not talk down to kids.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
I'm not surprised it's got a small amount of Disney Channel stupidity. Unfortunately, that's what DC is putting out these days, but GMW goes in a completely different direction than your average DC show. While not as smart as BMW was (hopefully they'll ditch the It's A Laugh team and go for something better) but the best DC show in years hands down.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Honestly, that's a bit of a low bar to cross, considering their other shows. Dog With a Blog ougtha be taken out behind the shed like Ol' Yeller!

Haha, too true. But it's a pretty great show, even without the comparison to the other Disney Channel shows. And I agree, Dog with a Blog is awful, and I also despise of Jessie. Those shows are terrible.

Matt_Black

Haha, too true. But it's a pretty great show, even without the comparison to the other Disney Channel shows. And I agree, Dog with a Blog is awful, and I also despise of Jessie. Those shows are terrible.

On the plus side, the new animated fare is showing much promise. Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder are both excellent.

prberk

I'm not surprised it's got a small amount of Disney Channel stupidity. Unfortunately, that's what DC is putting out these days, but GMW goes in a completely different direction than your average DC show. While not as smart as BMW was (hopefully they'll ditch the It's A Laugh team and go for something better) but the best DC show in years hands down.

You know, the sad part, to me, is that The Disney Channel has the chance, not only with this show but its whole network, to be the gold standard in family entertainment and shows that respect kids. They are always so worried about their "brand," and yet they miss the opportunity to coordinate the image of The Disney Channel with the high-quality family entertainment that they try to associate with the parks. Walt himself used to do that with his "Disneyland" and "Wonderful World of Color" shows. He was "branding" and using synergy before they were trendy MBA terms.

Sadly, maybe the corporate people have been so taken over by MBAs who understand business on the surface but not the history of Disney, that they don't understand the strength of "the best in family entertainment" belief by the public that used to be so strong for Disney. [And don't flame me for hating on MBAs -- I don't; I actually went to business school; I just know that even MBAs need to understand the business that they manage, and how business trends and paperwork don't always tell the whole story.]

I know, Disney has struggled with this in some form or another for years (see some '70s Disney films), and I know that we complain that the current parks management has forgotten this as well. I just wish that current management would know what they have -- and the power that they have to lead, by holding the bar high for children's and family entertainment. And how doing just that would actually pay returns for years to come.

Californian Elitist

I tried watching the show, but I just couldn't get into it. Its got way too much of that current Disney Channel formula in it.

When Disney Channel brings back Vault Disney, and starts making shows like Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, The Famous Jett Jackson, So Weird, In a Heartbeat, The Jersey, etc. again (not the exact storylines, but of the same quality), then I will regularly start tuning in as I once did over a decade ago.

stevehousse

I tried watching the show, but I just couldn't get into it. Its got way too much of that current Disney Channel formula in it.

When Disney Channel brings back Vault Disney, and starts making shows like Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, The Famous Jett Jackson, So Weird, In a Heartbeat, The Jersey, etc. again (not the exact storylines, but of the same quality), then I will regularly start tuning in as I once did over a decade ago.
Totally even forgot So Weird existed! I loved that show!

FoozieBear

Original Poster
You know, the sad part, to me, is that The Disney Channel has the chance, not only with this show but its whole network, to be the gold standard in family entertainment and shows that respect kids.

Not saying this show is any way completely redeeming the channel, but it's definetley a step in the right direction. If they continue to make shows like these, I think the show can return to it's former glory once again.

Matt_Black

Feh. Young 'uns. I remember when Disney Channel original shows were Avonlea and Adventures in Wonderland.

DisneyPrincess5

I am enjoying it so far. It has lots of similarities to Boy Meets World and I'm not sure if I like that or not or think its cheesy or not. I did enjoy the return of Minkus and hope to see other past characters soon (kind of the only reason why I even bothered watching it).

Matt_Black

I'll watch when they add a professional wrestler to the cast, because those Boy Meets World episodes with Vader were brilliantly stupid fun.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
The episodes Girl Meets Popular and Girl Meets Smackle were just awful. The other episodes managed to stay on track throughout, but those two episodes were the exact opposite of what the show should be like, and completley like the garbage that's on the channel today. They better continue to make episodes like the other previous ones, and not go in the direction of these two episodes.

stevehousse

The episodes Girl Meets Popular and Girl Meets Smackle were just awful. The other episodes managed to stay on track throughout, but those two episodes were the exact opposite of what the show should be like, and completley like the garbage that's on the channel today. They better continue to make episodes like the other previous ones, and not go in the direction of these two episodes.
I don't think those episodes were garbage, they were sendin the message of being true to yourself no matter what others think of u and what u look like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom