Your Thoughts about the College Program

EpcotMark

Original Poster
What are your thoughts about the college program?

Any College Program Alumni want to talk about it?

How do guests feel when talking with CP's vs the Full Time Cast?

Post your comments!

Kuzco

I was on the WDWCP during the Summer of 2000. My role was Magic Kingdom Custodial. Everyone has a different experience on the CP. Some people love it, some hate it. In all honesty, for me, the work was hard. It was my first "real job" away from home. I was only 18 years old at the time.

What really made it worth it was the guest interaction and the social aspect of living with thousands of other college students from around the world. Even if you dislike the role that you're placed in, you can find positive aspects of the program elsewhere. That said, many people do not seem to find a niche and leave the program very unhappy. This can be due to several factors, such as poor work location, poor roommates, homesickness, etc.

I think it is a very good program and its "educational" component is often underestimated. You can learn about the workings of a top company, even in such a small role as custodial. My experience definitely encouraged me to change my college major from a hard science to a more business-oriented major. I'm very thankful for the inspiration the program gave me to make the change.

I'd suggest doing some searches on Google if you're considering the program or know someone that is. There are many websites on the 'net discussing both the positive and negative aspects of the program.

Concerning your question regarding guest interaction with CP's vs. CM's, I'm not sure what you're exactly asking, but the guests I encountered were normally very friendly and curious about the program. It was always fun to run into a guest that was from my area of the country.

disneywy

Everyone will have different opinions and feelings towards it and I can see both sides. I did the program Jan - Aug 2004 and was Magic Kingdom Attractions. I had a blast! It is true that guest interaction is really one of the best things, but can also be one of the worst things. I knew going into it what to expect from most of it. Being that I want to continue a career with Disney, it was a great way to get started. You can network and it gives you a chance to see if you really like it and if they like you as a CM. I have since made connections out in California with Disney due to being a CP.

As for the question about Full Timers vs. CPs....That is hard. I don't think most guests treat CM's any differently with their status. It would come from age and attitude if anything. Obviously being younger myself, some guests would think I didn't know what was going on and it would require a manager to tell them the same thing for them to believe it. It all really depends on the person, cause I can tell you some full timers that could care less about the job and do it cause that is their job. On the other hand some CP's love it and get into more than someone else might. So it really is the person, not the status level.

The worst part about the program...TRANSPORTATION!!! If you know anyone going, strongly suggest they take their own car. It will make life easier.

macsmom

I am sorry I posted that question. It wasn't until I was off the computer doing something else that I realized we were talking about the College Program and.....duh....CP.....I can be slow at times. :hammer:

macsmom

Oh, and my son is waiting to hear if he makes the grade. I don't know, though, if he could take being around all those people all day. Anyway, he is excited just that he interviewed with Disney!

joanna71985

It depends on the people. Some hate it, others love it. I LOVED it. I did Sping 2005 (Jan. to Aug.) and had a blast. I did Fantasyland merchandise. I hope to go back for Fall 2006 and I want to work at Disney full-time one day.

macsmom

When you applied, and then were accepted, when did you start working? Was it the next semester or the following? For instance, he talked to someone last week so would it be for the semester that starts in January or the following? Thanks.

pluto77

macsmom said:
When you applied, and then were accepted, when did you start working? Was it the next semester or the following? For instance, he talked to someone last week so would it be for the semester that starts in January or the following? Thanks.
Um... If you mean he actually went to the presentation last week and interviewed (or set one up) then that would most likely be for the spring or spring advantage program (which both start in january).

wdwwedding2004

LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!
I actually did it twice Spring of 99 and 2000!
I had a fabulous time and only hooked myself more on Disney! haha!
My husband and i even got married down there last year!
It's an awesome experience and if you allow yourself to learn something you will come away with so much more!
It also makes for a great resume booster!!

Tron 2.0

I had a rather bad experience with the College Program. Sure, I had a ton of fun with the people I met down there, but the actual work experience was disappointing.

The fact is that it will vary quite a bit from person to person. As has been noted, some will love it and some will hate it. I, personally, didn't like the way I was treated by my managers. Thus, my experience was a little tough. Personally I would never do it again.

--Mark

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Bad CP expEARience

What was your "role" and what was so bad about it??

~heather

Tron 2.0 said:
I had a rather bad experience with the College Program. Sure, I had a ton of fun with the people I met down there, but the actual work experience was disappointing.

The fact is that it will vary quite a bit from person to person. As has been noted, some will love it and some will hate it. I, personally, didn't like the way I was treated by my managers. Thus, my experience was a little tough. Personally I would never do it again.

--Mark

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom