Your favourite Disney related Christmas memory

mergatroid

Original Poster
Well it's that time of year again when lots of us get excited about enjoying Christmas. I've been lucky enough to have had two holidays during the Christmas period at Disney in the past and usually think back to hem at this time of year.

I remember my first ever Disney Christmas back in 1999 very fondly. I'd come to Orlando by myself to spend 3 weeks on my own at Christmas and new year. A lot of people seem to think this sounds really sad but it's really not. I was single at the time, still living at home and I fancied having a Disney Christmas. I wasn't trying to get away from anybody, it's just I was the only one who wanted to go. I've always been very comfortable in my own company and the prospect of being on my own wasn't an issue.

Anyhow I'd arrived a week before Christmas and had been doing the parks most days but hadn't yet felt that magical 'Christmas feeling'. Don't get me wrong I'd enjoyed myself immensely, however it hadn't yet felt like Christmas for me. Maybe the hot weather was to blame, maybe it was American tv didn't feel like English Christmas tv does (no offence), but I'd not yet had that special Christmas moment.

Well Christmas Eve I set out for an afternoon and evening at Disney MGM Studios. It was still light as I headed into Muppets 3D to enjoy the show. As I came out of it it had gone dark and I headed up New York St. Then it happened, the Christmas music was playing and it began to snow. Not real snow obviously, but the 'soap suds' snow from the rooftops. All of a sudden Christmas hit me and it was a complete surprise that it was 'snowing' at Disney World.

As I walked enjoying the Osborne family lights with the special 3D glasses (anyone remember those?) feeling all warm and glowing a family nearby starting to talk to me. They asked where I was from and where and who I was staying with etc. When I said I was on my own for Christmas the little girl from the family looked rather confused and asked "But who will say Happy Christmas to you in the morning". I explained that I'd be phoning my mum and also going to the Magic Kingdom where I'm sure Mickey would wish me Merry Christmas and told her not to worry. Then the next thing I know this young child puts her arms around me and hugged me saying "Happy Christmas, I hope you have a great day and meet Mickey". She then handed me a wrapped Mickey lollipop her parents had obviously bought her in the park and said "I'd like to have this as a Christmas present". I'd not expected it at all and it just felt absolutely wonderful, all the usual feelings for that special time came flooding back and all was well with the world. I had a lump in my throat as I thanked her and eventually said goodbye to this lovely family. It was a truly great Christmas memory that I didn't expect and will never forget :)

FettFan

Have never been to WDW during Christmastime...I prefer April-May when it's not too hot, not too cold, and the crowds are tolerable.

So that being said...my favorite Disney-Related Christmas Memory is...
Scrooge_in_Mickeys_Christmas_Carol_7470.jpg

Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Disney's Christmas Carol is one if my favorites! I love Dickens's story, anyway, and this movie is the one that introduced it to me.
As a child, Christmas meant going to see whichever Disney movie was out at that time. It's the only time of the year we would go to the movies, so it was always a lot of excitment! [Of course there were no DVDs at the time (70s)].

Disvillain63

About twenty years ago, we went to WDW on the 23rd and stayed through the 27th. It was our only trip with Christmas as part of the trip. I carried a 2 ft. tree with us, and at first my family thought I was a bit nuts....until we arrived at Port Orleans French Quarter and they saw rooms decorated with lights and window stickers.

Being at Disney, crowds and all, was an experience. At the time, it was record breaking cold....15°F...at least that is what they were saying....it was cold! We purchased warm-up pants and tights to help layer our DD's outfits; she had a wardrobe of Disney sweatshirt dresses. There were 2.5 hour waits for Space Mountain, but my DH still waited so our DS could have his first ride. When they rejoined our DD and myself in Fantasyland, there was no complaining about the wait from any of us...it was just the way it was at Christmas.

Although we enjoyed the trip, the now adult children still talk about how Santa had found them in Disney World plus visited their home. They are still amazed that I had been able to sneak a few things in the car, as well as everything being put together at our house and played with by Santa (Disney's Golden Book Santa's Toy Shop). It was a few years before they learned that my DB had come over and put it all together.

The magic of that Christmas will always be one of our most treasured memories.

JoeCamel

Well it's that time of year again when lots of us get excited about enjoying Christmas. I've been lucky enough to have had two holidays during the Christmas period at Disney in the past and usually think back to hem at this time of year.

I remember my first ever Disney Christmas back in 1999 very fondly. I'd come to Orlando by myself to spend 3 weeks on my own at Christmas and new year. A lot of people seem to think this sounds really sad but it's really not. I was single at the time, still living at home and I fancied having a Disney Christmas. I wasn't trying to get away from anybody, it's just I was the only one who wanted to go. I've always been very comfortable in my own company and the prospect of being on my own wasn't an issue.

Anyhow I'd arrived a week before Christmas and had been doing the parks most days but hadn't yet felt that magical 'Christmas feeling'. Don't get me wrong I'd enjoyed myself immensely, however it hadn't yet felt like Christmas for me. Maybe the hot weather was to blame, maybe it was American tv didn't feel like English Christmas tv does (no offence), but I'd not yet had that special Christmas moment.

Well Christmas Eve I set out for an afternoon and evening at Disney MGM Studios. It was still light as I headed into Muppets 3D to enjoy the show. As I came out of it it had gone dark and I headed up New York St. Then it happened, the Christmas music was playing and it began to snow. Not real snow obviously, but the 'soap suds' snow from the rooftops. All of a sudden Christmas hit me and it was a complete surprise that it was 'snowing' at Disney World.

As I walked enjoying the Osborne family lights with the special 3D glasses (anyone remember those?) feeling all warm and glowing a family nearby starting to talk to me. They asked where I was from and where and who I was staying with etc. When I said I was on my own for Christmas the little girl from the family looked rather confused and asked "But who will say Happy Christmas to you in the morning". I explained that I'd be phoning my mum and also going to the Magic Kingdom where I'm sure Mickey would wish me Merry Christmas and told her not to worry. Then the next thing I know this young child puts her arms around me and hugged me saying "Happy Christmas, I hope you have a great day and meet Mickey". She then handed me a wrapped Mickey lollipop her parents had obviously bought her in the park and said "I'd like to have this as a Christmas present". I'd not expected it at all and it just felt absolutely wonderful, all the usual feelings for that special time came flooding back and all was well with the world. I had a lump in my throat as I thanked her and eventually said goodbye to this lovely family. It was a truly great Christmas memory that I didn't expect and will never forget :)

Tremendous, this is why I lurk these boards. I thank you for the memory and leave with tears in my eyes. Bits of magic are everywhere in the world no matter how much we rant about their operation.

epcotisbest

Nice. Thank you for sharing.

JasonDeyoung

I usually avoid Disney during the holiday season due to huge crowds but being local I figured I should take it in. Went for the first time last year right before tgiving and walked into MK to all the xmas decorations and music and felt like a kid again it was a awesome feeling and also seeing the isbourne lights for the first time and the different decorations at Epcot and all the resorts was just awesome and a great experience. Also went one day last year of the parade taping but that was a whole different experience

TXDisney

Hollywood studios is probably my least favorite park. But the or bourse light show makes it a must for multiple evenings when there during the holidays. Having some egg nog and roasted nuts while watching with the snow and all is my fav.

Matt_Black

I sang in the Candelight Processional twice. It was all around a fun experience and one of few that I have of Disney at Christmastime.

Wow, that's really cool!

Here's mine, technically a Boxing Day one- I'm in Tomorrowland, when I see PUSH (sniff) greeting some guests. As I get out my camera to snap a picture, he starts motoring over to where I am. "Sir, sir! Did Santa bring you turtle wax for Christmas? Because I wish my dome was a shiny as yours!"

mergatroid

Original Poster
I've had a search on youtube and appear to have found a video of the Osborne Family lights from back in 1999 at Disney MGM Studios. Whilst the video probably doesn't do it justice. I always enjoyed the old style format of the lights more. They used to be displayed on the route of the back lot tour before LMA was built there. It was the area with the facade of the house from 'The Golden Girls' and 'Ernest Saves Christmas' etc and you could walk around it drinking hot chocolate :cool:

Anyway, may I also take this opportunity to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year :)

catmandoo

My favorite Disney Christmas memory... 2009, my Mom and I took a trip down to Florida after having 2008 spoiled by my brother's family (Long story). Anyway, I remember it was cold and we hadn't prepared, but on Christmas day, we wanted to watch the fireworks (It was probably in the high 30s). I had my mom save a bench and ran over to the Emporium to buy us a couple hoodies, and stopped for some Hot Cocoa on the way back. We sat kind of huddled together sipping our hot cocoa and watched the fireworks over the Castle and tried to keep warm.

That will always hold a special place in my heart as it turned out to be Mom's last Christmas. She passed away suddenly the following June. But I'll always remember those Christmas day fireworks, and even five years later, I kind of get a little misty when I see any fireworks at Disney, I know Mom's there with me.

mergatroid

Original Poster
My favorite Disney Christmas memory... 2009, my Mom and I took a trip down to Florida after having 2008 spoiled by my brother's family (Long story). Anyway, I remember it was cold and we hadn't prepared, but on Christmas day, we wanted to watch the fireworks (It was probably in the high 30s). I had my mom save a bench and ran over to the Emporium to buy us a couple hoodies, and stopped for some Hot Cocoa on the way back. We sat kind of huddled together sipping our hot cocoa and watched the fireworks over the Castle and tried to keep warm.

That will always hold a special place in my heart as it turned out to be Mom's last Christmas. She passed away suddenly the following June. But I'll always remember those Christmas day fireworks, and even five years later, I kind of get a little misty when I see any fireworks at Disney, I know Mom's there with me.

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing but it's a lovely memory you have of her there and you told the story so well.

Magenta Panther

For me, it was a dream as a kid. I dreamed that myself and a sibling met Walt Disney, and he opened a door and said, "Hey, there, Santa - two good little kids here to meet you!" and we went in and there was Santa.

Best dream EVER.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom