Your favorite running "thing"?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
What is your favorite running "thing"? By that I mean what item on your runs do you find the most valuable. A certain make/model of shoe, item of clothing, energy gel, gadget, sunglasses and so on.

I'm going to have to say my Garmin 305. I'm a technology fan, so combining some tech with running is great, but from a a pure running perspective, it really helps to keep track of what I'm doing and makes things a lot more precise.

What's yours?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Good idea for a thread.

I am torn between my custom insoles from Road Runner Sports and the Nike+ GPS app for Iphone.

On the one hand those custom insoles have made running so much easier on my feet/ankles/calves/knees. They have really been a god send.

On the other hand, the Nike app costs 2 dollars and has given me major motivation to run daily. Many of my friends also have the app, and it allows us to post our runs on facebook or twitter. Seeing that your buddy is out pushing themselves really helps to get off the couch and get out.

JillC LI

It would be tough to say. I mean, I wouldn't run without my particular brand of running shoes - or socks or type of shirt, shorts, sports bra, etc. for that matter. But I don't think that any of those would be considered a "favorite thing." I might have to go with you on this one and say Garmin, especially now that you taught me all the cool things I'd been missing by not knowing how to custom program it! When I was training for the marathon, my favorite thing would have been my dad accompanying me for my long runs on his bicycle :) I have the fondest memories of that time.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
When I read first paragraph of the question I was drawing a blank, but yeah, my Garmin has to be it (even though I only have the very basic model).

On a few occasions, when my battery ran out, I couldn't finish my runs.

. . . though I may have partly just allowed myself to use that as an excuse.:lookaroun

Disney Dawg88

Great thread. I have several favorites, mainly because I tried them one time and they worked great so I'm hesitant to try anything else.

Headphones - Nike Vapor Sport Headphones. I've never had a problem with them, they clip over my ear and I rarely have to make adjustments. The sound isn't as good as my Bose in ear ones, but they do the job.

Asics shoes - I've gone through a couple of models, currently the GEL Nimbus 12, and I've been extremely happy with them. Great shoes.

Balega socks - best out there in my opinion.

Watch wise, I purchased the new Nike + GPS watch about a month and a half ago and so far it's pretty good. I looked briefly at some Garmins, which I probably should have gone with, but bought the Nike based on price and the online features. So far so good but the jury is still out on this one.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
1) My RoadId wrist bracelet. Im not sure why, but I feel naked without it. All my medical information, emergency contact and most importantly... organ donor info is on it. :D When you can speak, your RoadID can.

2) Garmin 305

I have been through 4 different pair of shoes in the last 1.5 years of running so I wouldnt say that Im not attached to a certain pair (although, my recent pair are incredible)

In the winter time, I have to have one of my longsleeve Nike Dry fit tops and toboggan.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
hmmmm this is a tough one!

My favorite running things are probably my bondi bands. They are great for keeping my hair and sweat off my face. I really don't think I could run without one now.

Also my pink superfeet insoles and my feetures socks.

Texas84

Garmin 205
iPhone
Gatorade G Series
Orange Blossom Honey Stingers
New Balance 1906 (expensive but they work for me)
Galloway run/walk timer

You know, in high school and college I just RAN! It's way too complicated now. :D

joel_maxwell

hmmmm this is a tough one!

My favorite running things are probably my bondi bands. They are great for keeping my hair and sweat off my face. I really don't think I could run without one now.

Also my pink superfeet insoles and my feetures socks.
I have the orange ones. Love them

On long run mornings, I love a Stage 1 gatorade fluid packet.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Joel knows I'm a gear-junkie. I'll just list what I run with (like an extra 30 pounds of _____t)

-Garmin 301 (never leaves my wrist and I like it so much better than 305)
-Salomon XT Advanced skin lab hydration vest (loaded with a camelbak bladder, Amphipod flasks, gels and electrolyte caps)
-Head buff (uv protective and I have long hair)
-Zensa calf compression
-Saucony Omni 9 and gaiters covering

Need my gear and have to be prepared since my runs are out and backs from my house, 10-15 miles each way and 20 each way on long runs. I load my hydration vest with EVERYTHING...another list is needed.

JillC LI

1) My RoadId wrist bracelet. Im not sure why, but I feel naked without it. All my medical information, emergency contact and most importantly... organ donor info is on it. :D When you can speak, your RoadID can.
In the winter time, I have to have one of my longsleeve Nike Dry fit tops and toboggan.

I really should get one of those Road IDs. I have had a note to myself to order one sitting in a pile of junk on my kitchen table for about a year now. Dumb dumb dumb.

You also made me think of winter time running when previously I had only been considering warm weather since that's what it is now. In the winter, I do have a favorite long sleeve Under Armour running shirt that is warm as canbe without suffocating and a pair of Eastern Mountain Sports running pants that I love for warmth and comfort as well.

Katherine

For me it's my teal colored plastic headband. Other things may come and go but I love the color and the fact that it's plastic means it doesn't get gross when I sweat! I lost it for a while and then found it wedged behind something and it was the best day ever!

Herky

It's a toss up between my IPod Nano or my New Balance 905's.

The older I get, the more I need something to occupy my mind on long runs.

faw286570

It's my Nike running socks. They are just the right thickness to feel good and they have a tight compression band that wrap around my arches to make my feet feel snug. I have not been able to find others that feel as good as these so I searched for them until I found them and then bought several. This gives me time to find an eventual replacement.

joel_maxwell

I really should get one of those Road IDs. I have had a note to myself to order one sitting in a pile of junk on my kitchen table for about a year now. Dumb dumb dumb.

You also made me think of winter time running when previously I had only been considering warm weather since that's what it is now. In the winter, I do have a favorite long sleeve Under Armour running shirt that is warm as canbe without suffocating and a pair of Eastern Mountain Sports running pants that I love for warmth and comfort as well.
It is so worth the $20. I looked today, it has NKA, blood type, name, year i was born, insurance numbers and previously mentioned stuff. Im not trying to be a walking advertisement, I just dont feel safe without it.

I got the red band too so it would stand out like medical.

Phonedave

It is so worth the $20. I looked today, it has NKA, blood type, name, year i was born, insurance numbers and previously mentioned stuff. Im not trying to be a walking advertisement, I just dont feel safe without it.

I got the red band too so it would stand out like medical.

Yeah, thats on my list too. I have a number of people on my case to get one. Especaily since I tend to run alone, at night, in the park, with nothing but a single house key on me. Yean, nobody ever said I was the brightest bulb in the lamp at times.

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Yeah, thats on my list too. I have a number of people on my case to get one. Especaily since I tend to run alone, at night, in the park, with nothing but a single house key on me. Yean, nobody ever said I was the brightest bulb in the lamp at times.

-dave

I still have your number...if you call in an emergency, it might take me at least an hour, but I'll show up! It's the least I can do since you showed up to watch me DNF in March!

I love my Road ID too. My first one has my emergency info and a meaningful saying, and my second one is a duplicate, but also says, "RUN OR DIE." Of course they are in black :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom