Your Favorite Airline

babykalina

We go Southwest. I love the airline cause it's just convient, cheaper, and just friendly feeling. A lot of the flight attendants and other crew are really fun people. It's hilarious when they start singing and stuff.

Yeah, but we like to go Southwest cause they go out of the airport in my town direct to Orlando so it's VERY convient ;)

togasports

I used to like Delta, but I just found Independence Air, a new airline that is staring service to Orlando in October. I flew them as a regional carrier, and They were great. Also they are really cheeply priced. http://www.flyi.com

I will be trying them when I fly down in december.

LouDisney

I like some of the others on here love flying Southwest. I agree, they are convient, can't beat a direct flight, they have great prices and they are friendly and funny. :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
WDWScottieBoy said:
I'm I the only one here that loves ATA?

yes

WDWScottieBoy said:
I think it's one of those "hidden" airlines that not many know about but the best one out there (IMO).

I totally disagree with you Scott... sorry! They're one of only 3 or 4 airlines that do the MCO-SJU route direct, and they're the worst one to do it. I've never had an on-time flight with them, and for a flight originating and ending in locations with different languages, they make no effort whatsoever to get at least SOME Spanish speaking staff. About half of the travellers on the flight have no clue what they're being told.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
and oh yeah, I almost forgot to add one single benefit to AirTran. Pay $35 at the gate to upgrade to business class, and enjoy the open bar!

CAPTAIN HOOK

I've done Brittania - charter flight = cramped. 6'6" is too much me into a small amount of legroom.
British Airways - scheduled with lots of room. Poor history of staff walking out on strike and cancelled flights
Continental Airways - scheduled, again lots of room. Only thing that spoiled this flight was the long stopover at Newark
Virgin Atlantic - again scheduled with plenty of room. In flight food was a little disappointing

If I had to pick one it would be BA, and hope that the staff don't strike !

WDWScottieBoy

mkt said:
yes

I totally disagree with you Scott... sorry! They're one of only 3 or 4 airlines that do the MCO-SJU route direct, and they're the worst one to do it. I've never had an on-time flight with them, and for a flight originating and ending in locations with different languages, they make no effort whatsoever to get at least SOME Spanish speaking staff. About half of the travellers on the flight have no clue what they're being told.

I guess I never looked at them in being an airline that goes to a country that English isn't the native tongue. I'm going to have to say that puts a dent in my oppinion on them if they don't at least attempt to help those who don't speak English and speak their language. I've only flown with them from Indy-MCO and MDW-MCO. I've flown with AA and their new "more legroom" planes and didn't think they were that bad, but the service wasn't the greatest. My best experience has been with ATA, although I'm sure SwissAir was A LOT better, just don't remember them as I was really young, but flew them every time we went from Switzerland and the US. Ahh...those were the days of living in the Swiss Alps! :cry:

barnum42

mkt said:
and oh yeah, I almost forgot to add one single benefit to AirTran. Pay $35 at the gate to upgrade to business class, and enjoy the open bar!
This would explain, dear Robert, why airlines get into financial difficulty :lol:

barnum42

I did not get the chance to try Britannia as despite my asking them in the week running up to my flight to change it to avoid the hurricane they waited 'till the day prior before cancelling the holiday.

I ended up on US Airways. My observations are that the transatlantic seats are too cramped. My knees were up against the seat in front and I could not extend them under the seat. However the plane for the internal flight from Charlotte had much nicer seats. On the plus side the transatlantic flight had a great seat back entertainment system. The type that lets you pause the movie when necessary. Also the in flight grub was not as bad as other airlines and they did not charge for soft drinks.

With one exception the cabin crew continued my low opinion of American flight attendants when compared to the British flight attendants. This continues to puzzle me.

ogryn

In order:

Virgin - Good Entertainment, Good Food and Drinks, Handy Backpack, Way-too much make-up on staff (747)

British Airways - As above, but just missing a certain something that Virgin has. (747)

Airtours - Had to pay for drinks and headset (grr), otherwise good crew, nice plane (Airbus A320)

I guess I would always pay extra for Virgin or BA.

Al

IMO Virgin have gone downhill recently, nowhere near as good as they were, although still better than a lot of airlines.

ogryn

Al said:
IMO Virgin have gone downhill recently, nowhere near as good as they were, although still better than a lot of airlines.

What makes you say that (my last trip with them was 2002)?

barnum42

ogryn said:
What makes you say that (my last trip with them was 2002)?
My last flight with Virgin was in 2003 to Boston. It was still good, though the food has gone downhill big time and the goody bag is a lot lighter than it once was.

barnum42

They used to do earplugs as well.

Last trip I just got the toothpaste and toothbrush, notepad and possibly the eyemask (not to sure), but there were no socks. They ditched the menu card and the choc-ice for the movie went from belgian choc covered quality icecream to someting even Happy Shopper would think twice about putting their name to.

Pippa

The first time I flew with Virgin in 1998 I got lip balm, a smint and a tablet that would make a fizzy energy drink when mixed with water in the back pack, as well as the above mentioned, we also got a liquer choice of brandy or Baileys after the meal and that was in Economy! Everything post 9/11 has had cutbacks I guess.

rainfully

Although I haven't taken a plane in ten years, I've been doing some research for my flight to California.

Frontier sure seems to be a nice new airline... however I'm not sure if they have flights to Orlando.. (at least from St. Louis)

Southwest definitely seems to have the cheapest fares.

monkey

Has anyone from the UK ever flown with Travel City? I've just booked with them to go in May 05 with my partner and we just wondered what they are like?

djmatthews

Original Poster
monkey said:
Has anyone from the UK ever flown with Travel City? I've just booked with them to go in May 05 with my partner and we just wondered what they are like?

Although I have never traveled with their "new" airline, we used Travel City Direct for our 2001 trip. At that time Travel City chartered American Trans Air (ATA) L1011 TriStar aircraft. If I'm honest - they were crap!

However, nowadays they operate their own branded Boeing 747-200 "Classics" which are ex-BA aircraft. (These flights are operated by Air Atlanta Europe). According to Travel City's website in their standard class you get 32" seat pitch which is much better than the charters, and about the same as Virgin and BA, leather seats, complimentary drinks, headsets and meals. I do however think the entertainment is main screen and no PTVs.

I'm sure you're flight will be fine! Please let us know. I also bet you got a good price. The reason we used Travel City is because of their unbeatable price.

barnum42

djmatthews said:
Although I have never traveled with their "new" airline, we used Travel City Direct for our 2001 trip. At that time Travel City chartered American Trans Air (ATA) L1011 TriStar aircraft. If I'm honest - they were crap.
Are American Trans Air still going? I've not heard that name since I flew with them in the late Eighties. I gather they still have to stop to refuel in either Newfoundland or Maine?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom