you will never believe what I found at a thrift shop.

bluefaery

Original Poster
I went to a thrift shop this afternoon to see what I could find and I found a pair of Disneyland 50th Aniversary Golden ears. I asked the lady how much they were and she said $6.50. My mouth flew open and I thought "OMG". I told her I would take them. This is my second pair. My first pair has my name on the back and the ones that I found today are blank. I guess I got lucky.

mjc1984

why is that unbelievable? you can still go to any disney park and still buy them. see them in every store you go that sells hats

DigitalDisney

I've found old glass mugs from the Poly (with the Polynesian Village name/logo) at my thrift store.

You can find all sorts of cool stuff there. The ultimate selection is on EBay though...

MissM

mjc1984 said:
why is that unbelievable? you can still go to any disney park and still buy them. see them in every store you go that sells hats
Based on the OP's info, it seems pretty amazing to find Disneyland ears in Austin, Texas to me.
-m

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
MissM said:
Based on the OP's info, it seems pretty amazing to find Disneyland ears in Austin, Texas to me.
-m
Not really. Every year Disney makes a road trip with left over merchandise from many of its theme parks and sets up temporarily in shopping malls. Been to the one here in Houston twice. You can get theme park exclusive stuff, its just a year old.

Not to say this is what happened with these ears, but just saying that its not suprising.

bluefaery

Original Poster
hakunamatata said:
Not really. Every year Disney makes a road trip with left over merchandise from many of its theme parks and sets up temporarily in shopping malls. Been to the one here in Houston twice. You can get theme park exclusive stuff, its just a year old.

Not to say this is what happened with these ears, but just saying that its not suprising.

I didn't find them in a mall. I found then in a thrift shop on an army base in Ft. hood, Texas

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
madame_leota_19 said:
I didn't find them in a mall. I found then in a thrift shop on an army base in Ft. hood, Texas
I understand that, hence why I wrote...

me said:

I realize that to some, this is like finding the fountain of youth. Sorry, I am not one of them.

ZapperZ

I would agree with the OP. This is a rather amazing find because

(i) the golden ears are still being sold at Disney parks, at least till the end of Sept., so Disney is not dumping this out yet as leftovers;

(ii) it is being sold that cheaply (you pay, what, more than $12 for those brand new?)

(iii) it is still being sought-after by visitors to the theme parks.

Now, what you left out is which golden ears it is. There are three different types: (i) Disneyland's golden ears (ii) WDW golden ears (iii) the golden ears that they gave out on July 17 2005.

I'm guessing that it is not (iii) since you said there's nothing on the back. That hat has the date embroided there. This hat is very much sought-after since it was only given out on that day, and you can't buy it (maybe at ebay). The one that I have, I have it displayed under a clear glass case. :)

Zz.

meryll83

hakunamatata said:
I understand that, hence why I wrote...

I realize that to some, this is like finding the fountain of youth. Sorry, I am not one of them.

someone got up on the wrong side of bed!
she's sharing a find with us coz she's excited and you're dissing it.
If you don't have anything nice to say.....

(please don't make this into an argument, I'm just trying to keep the peace - and magic!)

anyways, yay! bargain!!

Disnut

madame_leota_19 said:
I went to a thrift shop this afternoon to see what I could find and I found a pair of Disneyland 50th Aniversary Golden ears. I asked the lady how much they were and she said $6.50. My mouth flew open and I thought "OMG". I told her I would take them. This is my second pair. My first pair has my name on the back and the ones that I found today are blank. I guess I got lucky.

Wow, that is a big find. I never find anything good in San Antonio, but that is when I do go to a thrift store.:lol:

bluefaery

Original Poster
ZapperZ said:
I would agree with the OP. This is a rather amazing find because

(i) the golden ears are still being sold at Disney parks, at least till the end of Sept., so Disney is not dumping this out yet as leftovers;

(ii) it is being sold that cheaply (you pay, what, more than $12 for those brand new?)

(iii) it is still being sought-after by visitors to the theme parks.

Now, what you left out is which golden ears it is. There are three different types: (i) Disneyland's golden ears (ii) WDW golden ears (iii) the golden ears that they gave out on July 17 2005.

I'm guessing that it is not (iii) since you said there's nothing on the back. That hat has the date embroided there. This hat is very much sought-after since it was only given out on that day, and you can't buy it (maybe at ebay). The one that I have, I have it displayed under a clear glass case. :)

Zz.

oh I'm sorry. The ears that I found are Disneyland's golden ears. I hope that clears it up bit. I now have 2 pairs of DL golden ears and 1 pair of WDW golden ears.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
meryll83 said:
someone got up on the wrong side of bed!
she's sharing a find with us coz she's excited and you're dissing it.
If you don't have anything nice to say.....

(please don't make this into an argument, I'm just trying to keep the peace - and magic!)

anyways, yay! bargain!!
Actually, I get up on the same side of the bed every morning....:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom