Trip Report "You stop it, you bad boy Captain Hook!" **COMPLETED **

Aloha! Welcome to my first trip report!

We just returned from a 6-night stay in The World from May27-June 3rd. This was not our first trip but we tried a lot of new things! Including visiting during a holiday weekend in summer and staying at our first deluxe resort by renting DVC points.

Let's start by introducing the crew (be warned, there will be a lot of pirate talk if you couldn't tell by the title!):
IMG_3605.JPG

Poohbear-Keegan(3) we were celebrating his birthday this trip, Pluto-Ty(almost 7), Chip-Matthew(5), Minnie-Me(gan), and Mickey-DH. Thanks to Etsy for our matching shirts that DH just loves to wear;)

We ended up driving as we've done it in the past and our boys do pretty well in the car. Last trip the last 3 hours were the worst with traffic and construction. So, we decided to break it up this trip and arrived in Gainesville about 7:30pm. This way we didn't waste a night at a Disney resort by arriving after bed time. We decided to visit the Swamp while we were in town.

IMG_4045.JPG

Boys needed time to run around after 15 hours in the car and being huge college FB fans we wanted to check out their stadium. I was not overly impressed with their facilities. I will add that growing up in Nebraska in the 90's made me hate any program that came from the state of Florida so that may have had something to do with my reaction:rolleyes:

IMG_4046.JPG

Next morning we decided to drive 30 min to the next stop in Ocala for breakfast at one of our favorites, First Watch:p

On this last stretch we notice that Ty's nagging cough that he had for a week was getting a lot worse and then Matthew started complaining that his ear was hurting:facepalm: I will say we debated taking Ty to the Dr before we left but anyone with kids knows unless they have had it for 10+ days and a fever they are not going to prescribe anything. Don't want them getting immune to antibiotics and all...but we had been down this road before. Last year during Spring Break at Disney Matthew developed an ear infection on night 2 of our vacation at 2am. Screaming 4 year old in the middle of the night can put a damper on things! DH had to take him to Florida centra care the next morning.

I bet you know where I'm going with this...we decided to make a detour to Centra Care and good thing we did as they were closed the next day for Memorial Day along with the pharmacy. Note:the centra care website makes it so easy to book an appt online and we were in and out in about an hour.

Bronchitis, ear infection and two antibiotics later and we were finally ready to head to our resort!!!

IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG

Where are we going???
IMG_3472.JPG

We arrived around 1pm our goal was 11am but we will find out that our delay was for the best. The valet guys were awesome...even refrigerated the antibiotics for us.
IMG_3473.JPG

Check-in was smooth except for this guy on his EVC decided he didn't need to wait in the line like the rest of us and almost ran me over cutting in line:mad: When I told him I was in line he just kept moving. This will be a big pet peeve of mine this trip, the total disregard for other people and the mindset that their time is more valuable. I will even get into it with a 10 year old later on...:oops:

Anyway, nicest gal at check-in. I request a building closest to the main house but also checked the box for first available room. We had an early ADR and wanted time to settle the room and get ready. She said they were cleaning it now and should receive our text anytime! In the meantime we had promised some pool time and a dole whip or 2. Dole whip floats are a great use of a snack credit!!
IMG_3475.JPG

6 going on 16!!

IMG_3477.JPG

My little pirate:)

Next:Getting into our room...maybe!

Last edited:

mdubm

Day 2 MK (cont.)

Let me rewind for a sec. back in 2013 we were on vacation in Naples and decided to do a day trip to MK with our BIL, DH's DS and their two boys. Ty at the time was 2.5years old and his cousins 5 and 2.5. We always said when the youngest was 5 and could remember is when we would take our first trip to Disney but my BIL can be persuasive!

We ended our one and only day with Mickey's meet and greet on Main Street and it was in that moment that reawakened my Disney spirit! The Magic of Ty meeting his idol...
Your Disney inspo is the same as mine, except, DD loved the princesses so much. Watching their interaction made our trip so much more magical than any other trip I had taken prior to kids.

PrincessL

Original Poster
The Pixar show looks fantastic. My husband and I are both band geeks and we really connect with the music in many of the movies, so we would love to see that one. Hopefully it will still be around when we finally make it back to WDW (hopefully, she says with fingers crossed) next summer.

Sounds like you would really enjoy this! I've read that it will be there until the end of August. Maybe they will make it a summer thing and be back next year for you?!? Otherwise it's a touring show I believe... maybe it will be at a city near you sooner rather than later!

Highly recommend!

PrincessL

Original Poster
Your Disney inspo is the same as mine, except, DD loved the princesses so much. Watching their interaction made our trip so much more magical than any other trip I had taken prior to kids.

Aww! I'd be in even more trouble I think if I had a daughter lol! It really is magical.

I'm so happy we did our first trip at that age as opposed to waiting like we originally planned.

Thanks for reading!

PrincessL

Original Poster
The show looks great
I know little about it though
Seasonal or year round
Extra cost I assume
Did you need a long lead time to book ?

Thanks
Max

For now it appears to be seasonal running through the end of August. Three shows per night. The show is held in the same stage that Beauty and the Beast is played at during the day.

No additional cost. They had standby but no FP when we were there. The dinning packages came out about a month before our trip and allowed us to have better seating.

If you are going to be there anytime this summer, I would highly recommend it!

PrincessL

Original Poster
Still going with the Pixar topic...we just got back from seeing Cars 3 and I'm happy to report that it was so good!! Better than expected and more like the original than Cars 2.

Anywho, finishing up day 3 after the show DH and Ty and Matthew went to use their RS from earlier. Standby was showing 30min. It took them 30min going in the FP line:banghead:

We then headed to our reservation for our dining pkg at Mama Melrose. I love Italian food and some of these trip reports have been raving about the strip steak so I had to try.

IMG_3647.JPG
IMG_3648.JPG

These dining packages are a great value on the dining plan as they use up one credit but the pkg also includes an appetizer where the reg DDP meal does not and you get the premium seating at the show.

IMO the Music of Pixar Live! dining pkg would even be worth paying out of pocket if we weren't on the DDP. Where as the Fantasmic one we have done I would not.

I actually remembered food pics!

For appetizers DH got the crispy calamari which was a pretty large helping. He said it was really good!

IMG_3650.JPG

I ordered the mixed green salad. Tomatoes...good. Cucumbers...good. Artichoke hears...good. Feta cheese...good. Red wine vinegarette...good.

IMG_3649.JPG

But for some reason the cucumbers were very odd tasting in the salad. I felt like it either needed to go Greek or more Italian. It was just odd because I do enjoy all the ingredients in the salad.

DH went with The Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana as the waitress said it was what they were known for. I wanted to tell her that according to the forum I follow, it is def the Steak that they are known for;)

IMG_3652.JPG
IMG_3651.JPG

It did not disappoint! The Chianti wine reduction and Aged-Balsalmic-Shallot butter is what made this meal. It was deliciousness!! I would go back just for this dish.

DH's was pretty standard chicken parmesean.

Dessert was set with the pkg and was the dessert sampler: Valencia Blood Orange Cake, Lemon Cheeae Cake with Passion fruit pearls and Tiramisu.

IMG_3653.JPG

I was not very impressed but if I had to pick a winner it was the Blood Orange Cake.

We then stopped to do some pin trading and look for some crocs for Keegan as he broke them our first day at the pool and he needed them for our relaxing resort day the next day. No luck though they didn't have his sizeo_O

We were all pretty beat...have I mention the heat:rolleyes: We decided it was beat not to wait around for Star Wars or Fantasmic and head back to the resort.

Next: Another first, Tonga Toast:p

PrincessL

Original Poster
Day 4- Resort day!

This was one of my favorite days. I wish we had been able to spend another day lounging around the Polynesian!

So much for sleeping in...everyone was up around 6:30am:banghead:

DH being the nice guy that he is, let me talk him into doing a couple loads of laundry:D I typically do it at home. Since we were renting DVC points it was included.

DH calls to inform me that there are only 4 machines o_O and all in use. He decides to wait it out. Good thing because the line started to build.

He said one woman came in and went straight for the machine and when informed they were all waiting huffed "don't you people know there's an app!" Sorry boutcha!

I'm glad DH was there instead of me. I'd delt enough with line cutters and rude people:rolleyes:

Originally for resort day the plan was NOT to have any ADRs as all our entitlements were being used for the other days. But I couldn't stay at the Poly and not try Kona's breakfast!

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

Kona Cafe is very opened to the rest of the great ceremonial house. Surprisingly noise was not an issue. It was also 9:30am so a little later breakfast time.

IMG_3665.JPG

We got to watch the monorail which is always fun for the boys.

We ordered the popular French pressed Kona blend and have to admit we preferred their regular coffee. Which was really good!

I of course had to try the famous Tonga Toast. Amazing:p If you like sweets for breakfast like I do! It did not have the carmel banana sauce like the menu said instead it had a strawberry compote which was soooo good! I would request that again if it has In fact changed.

IMG_3659.JPG

DH only needed a couple bites the sweets. He was very happy with his, the Kona eggs benedict with pork belly.

IMG_3658.JPG

Ty got the Mickey pancake ( no pic pretty standard).

Matthew and Keegan shared the Polynesian egg platter.

IMG_3661.JPG

I'm guessing this replaced the Big Kahuna which was what I was originally going to order them. I think they would have like that better. This was too fruffy for them but in fairness wasn't necessarily intended for kids.

We had the best server in Lyndsie from South Africa!! Keegan was in a mood and she was very accommodating to a 3 year old who couldn't make up his mind. It was her mission to make him happy! She even gave the boys the light up thing from the kids specialty drinks we did not order :)

I went to give her compliment to the front desk and they had a form that I was able to fill out and send a personal note to her! She was fabulous.

IMG_3681.JPG

When you wear muscle shirts you've got to show of your guns:hilarious:

Next: Disney Springs and my favorite food of the trip!

PrincessL

Original Poster
Day 4 (cont.)

The vibe at the Poly is so relaxing. The grounds are beautifully maintained. I want to go back now:arghh:

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

These look like birds to me lol. Anyone know what these are?

We spent the rest of the morning and afternoon at the pool. Boys did the "what's in your beach bag game." We had the fish tacos at the pool bar which were pretty good as our expectations weren't too high.

We took naps and then headed to DS for, as DH would say an unauthorized ADR:oops:

Like I said plan was not to have any ADRs on this day. But thanks to @Doc Disney and her review of Chef Art Smiths Homecoming, I was on the hunt for an early reservation and found one a few weeks before.

IMG_3691.JPG

It did not disappoint! I'm going to apologize for lack of food pics now...I was putting on the rain cover on the stroller when the Fried Green Tomatoes and deviled eggs came and the boys started with out me:rolleyes:

IMG_3690.JPG

We want to have this bar in our basement some day!

We enjoyed a few adult beverages...old fashion for DH and I had the iced tea. Both were great drinks!

IMG_3692.JPG

I ordered the Chicken and Waffles and DH got the Braised Beef w/mashed potatoes. Boys got mac n'cheese and chicken tenders with peas and carrots. Everything was devoured! We loves every bite and will be back!

IMG_3705.JPG
IMG_3702.JPG

Now here's my one and only food pic...dessert. And I barely had time to snap the pic before that was devoured as well.

IMG_3700.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG

It took about 2.2 seconds for us to finish the Hummingbird cake:p

Art Smith's will be on our must do from here on out it was that good!

It poured while we were eating and was down to a sprinkle as we left. A quick visit to the lego store and then we were headed back to our resort.

Next: My favorite park:)

Doc Disney

Now I may get some flack for this but I never had an emotional connection with Wishes. I was excited to see something new.

I wish I didn't have an emotional connection...I still listen to the Wishes soundtrack like once a week...haha

Like I said plan was not to have any ADRs on this day. But thanks to @Doc Disney and her review of Chef Art Smiths Homecoming, I was on the hunt for an early reservation and found one a few weeks before.

Ah! I'm glad you liked it! I always get nervous when I rave about places :joyfull:

Sillysidewalker

Just caught up and love your report! As you know your boys are adorable. We loved the Poly with its beautiful grounds, ease of transportation and daily Dole Whips. Ugh take me back! I love reading the boy trips. I have 3 girls and a little boy. So far our trips have been princesses and glitter but we are getting closer to the pirate years. Yum Kona coffee if I could only wake up to a cup tomorrow. Looking forward to the rest of your trip.

PrincessL

Original Poster
Just caught up and love your report! As you know your boys are adorable. We loved the Poly with its beautiful grounds, ease of transportation and daily Dole Whips. Ugh take me back! I love reading the boy trips. I have 3 girls and a little boy. So far our trips have been princesses and glitter but we are getting closer to the pirate years. Yum Kona coffee if I could only wake up to a cup tomorrow. Looking forward to the rest of your trip.

Thanks for following!

I've been forgetting to post about the daily sometimes multiple a day dole whips!!! But that's a given when staying at the Polynesian right?!?

I'm jelly that you get to expirience all the princess and the boys stuff is fun too! How old is your little guy?

I will have to live it through my nieces in a couple of years:angelic:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom