Trip Report "You stop it, you bad boy Captain Hook!" **COMPLETED **

Aloha! Welcome to my first trip report!

We just returned from a 6-night stay in The World from May27-June 3rd. This was not our first trip but we tried a lot of new things! Including visiting during a holiday weekend in summer and staying at our first deluxe resort by renting DVC points.

Let's start by introducing the crew (be warned, there will be a lot of pirate talk if you couldn't tell by the title!):
IMG_3605.JPG

Poohbear-Keegan(3) we were celebrating his birthday this trip, Pluto-Ty(almost 7), Chip-Matthew(5), Minnie-Me(gan), and Mickey-DH. Thanks to Etsy for our matching shirts that DH just loves to wear;)

We ended up driving as we've done it in the past and our boys do pretty well in the car. Last trip the last 3 hours were the worst with traffic and construction. So, we decided to break it up this trip and arrived in Gainesville about 7:30pm. This way we didn't waste a night at a Disney resort by arriving after bed time. We decided to visit the Swamp while we were in town.

IMG_4045.JPG

Boys needed time to run around after 15 hours in the car and being huge college FB fans we wanted to check out their stadium. I was not overly impressed with their facilities. I will add that growing up in Nebraska in the 90's made me hate any program that came from the state of Florida so that may have had something to do with my reaction:rolleyes:

IMG_4046.JPG

Next morning we decided to drive 30 min to the next stop in Ocala for breakfast at one of our favorites, First Watch:p

On this last stretch we notice that Ty's nagging cough that he had for a week was getting a lot worse and then Matthew started complaining that his ear was hurting:facepalm: I will say we debated taking Ty to the Dr before we left but anyone with kids knows unless they have had it for 10+ days and a fever they are not going to prescribe anything. Don't want them getting immune to antibiotics and all...but we had been down this road before. Last year during Spring Break at Disney Matthew developed an ear infection on night 2 of our vacation at 2am. Screaming 4 year old in the middle of the night can put a damper on things! DH had to take him to Florida centra care the next morning.

I bet you know where I'm going with this...we decided to make a detour to Centra Care and good thing we did as they were closed the next day for Memorial Day along with the pharmacy. Note:the centra care website makes it so easy to book an appt online and we were in and out in about an hour.

Bronchitis, ear infection and two antibiotics later and we were finally ready to head to our resort!!!

IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG

Where are we going???
IMG_3472.JPG

We arrived around 1pm our goal was 11am but we will find out that our delay was for the best. The valet guys were awesome...even refrigerated the antibiotics for us.
IMG_3473.JPG

Check-in was smooth except for this guy on his EVC decided he didn't need to wait in the line like the rest of us and almost ran me over cutting in line:mad: When I told him I was in line he just kept moving. This will be a big pet peeve of mine this trip, the total disregard for other people and the mindset that their time is more valuable. I will even get into it with a 10 year old later on...:oops:

Anyway, nicest gal at check-in. I request a building closest to the main house but also checked the box for first available room. We had an early ADR and wanted time to settle the room and get ready. She said they were cleaning it now and should receive our text anytime! In the meantime we had promised some pool time and a dole whip or 2. Dole whip floats are a great use of a snack credit!!
IMG_3475.JPG

6 going on 16!!

IMG_3477.JPG

My little pirate:)

Next:Getting into our room...maybe!

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Wish I was still there!! Have a great time! Did the rain cool things off a bit for you??
Yesterday was nice but we waited until around 3 to head to the MK. It rained until about 2 but was still heavy overcast until after dark. Yesterday temp wise was great. Its rained daily since we have been here.

PrincessL

Original Poster
We checked out the "volcano" pool as my boys call it. Though, I'm pretty sure after the last refurb it's no longer called that. It took a few laps to find a open chair. I'd say 10% of the chairs had people using them and the other 90% just had towels on them. It was Sunday and it was packed...overheard a lot of guest saying it was either their first or last day.

After a couple hours we were getting antsy to get in our room so we followed up with the front desk... said it should be done soon, as the cleaning crew started cleaning 4 hours ago but didn't have an exact time to give. They did however have a room abailable in Pago Pago...wait what...I thought we were getting the first available room?!?

At this point it's 3pm we had already waited 2 hours and I know they were trying their best to fufill our request so we decided to go ahead and wait...surely it couldn't take much more than 4 hours at this point to clean one room. But, what do I know?

Now it's 4pm the deadline for when rooms are to be ready and still no text. Back to the front desk. This time they physically sent someone to check on the room. 4:15pm my phone dies right as I'm reading the text with our room #.
IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_4043.JPG

A lot annoyed but we got a 2nd floor garden view in Tokelau. Just like I wanted:D

IMG_3481.JPG

I fell in love this trip. I love every little detail about the Polynesian! DH fell in love as well and I quote, "we will never stay anyplace else at Disney:greedy:"
IMG_3478.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG

Luckily our 5:30pm ADR was for OHana. Not far to go but we only had an hour to get our luggage from bell service, shower and get dressed. Bell service was very prompt so that took a little stress out of it.

Phew...we made it just in time!
IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG

I definitely needed one of these after today's events... Lapu Lapu! DH was boring and ordered a bud light. He asked for the largest one they had and that's what they gave him:hilarious:
IMG_3487.JPG

I apologize as the food pics are going to be a little hit or miss. The drink pic apparently was the most important! We were all very hungry and 3 little boys were on the verge of hangry so no OHana food pics.

This was our second visit and DH and I love the food. However we have yet to have the wow experience that I have wanted. Last year I saved it for our last meal and the boys were over Disney. I also didn't know you could order something else for picky eaters (Ty). He didn't eat a single thing last time and as we were leaving I noticed a table with chicken nuggets and French fries:banghead: I knew to ask this time!

This meal I felt like we were rushing the whole time. Rushing to get there, rushing to get drinks, rushing through dinner. It just felt rushed and I didn't get to enjoy it. Next time I will try planning this meal during our resort day!

DH took the boys on a monrail ride while I unpacked and then it was off to bed.

Up next:Early ADR at BoG

amjt660

Premium Member
Enjoying the report so far
I have stayed at the Poly once and hope to go back again

You have your hands full with 3 boys (or is it 4??? when you count in DH)

Following along

Max

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
What did you all think of having to go through security process twice to get from poly to epcot by monorail? Im tempted to tell them when we check out I wont be staying at a MK Deluxe again until they get that figured out.

PrincessL

Original Poster
Enjoying the report so far
I have stayed at the Poly once and hope to go back again

You have your hands full with 3 boys (or is it 4??? when you count in DH)

Following along

Max
The Poly is just so beautiful! I haven't even gotten to the location yet...it's perfect! Hope you get to go back soon!

It is definitely 4 boys:hilarious: I wouldn't have it any other way though! Thanks for following!

Last edited:

PrincessL

Original Poster
What did you all think of having to go through security process twice to get from poly to epcot by monorail? Im tempted to tell them when we check out I wont be staying at a MK Deluxe again until they get that figured out.
Yes, I was going to comment on this later. It makes no sence. They have definitely filled some security gaps by having the monorail security checks and it works for MK because all modes of transportation are checked by security (ferry, buses and monorail). So everyone that gets to the main gate has been checked.

Epcot is different because you have the parking lot closer and appears they haven't figured out how to check those guest prior to reaching the main gate. So it's best to check everyone again? I feel that they could gate a walkway for the monorail guests to avoid that. They are def making strides...maybe that will be phase 2? It will definitely be going on my survey they sent me!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yes, I was going to comment on this later. It makes no sence. They have definitely filled some security gaps by having the monorail security checks and it works for MK because all modes of transportation are checked by security (ferry, buses and monorail). So everyone that gets to the main gate has been checked.

Epcot is different because you have the parking lot closer and appears they haven't figured out how to check those guest prior to reaching the main gate. So it's best to check everyone again? I feel that they could gate a walkway for the monorail guests to avoid that. They are def making strides...maybe that will be phase 2? It will definitely be going on my survey they sent me!
I think a few well blaced concrete barriers and planters and reverse the process (enter the epcot station where you currently exit and exit the incoming monorail where you enter currently and the problem is solved. You would have to go through a security check going back however.

PrincessL

Original Poster
It was a rough nights sleep. We had the 2 sick kids on the pull out couch and Keegan was in the Murphy bed. Matthew kept tossing and turning he said in the morning it was because he was cold. In fairness DH turns up the AC as soon as he enters any hotel room so we forgot to turn it back down and Keegan kept falling out of the bed. At one point he was curled on the floor with his Pooh pillow pet:( DH of course slept through everything. On a positive note, the antibiotics seemed to be working and all said they felt good!

Another reason we are now sold on the Poly and prob all monorail resorts is that we have stayed at value(AoA) and moderate(CBR) and have sold friends and family on staying on property because of Disney transportation and how convenient it is. We have had good experiences with bus transportation. I guess what you don't know you don't know because we had a fabulous experience with transportation at the Poly! Not having to fold up the stroller and the quick transit times were a huge amenity! I can not say it enough...Location location!!!

We left our room at 7:30am and the time stamp from our first photopass was 7:59am. 29 min from room to taking pics at MK is unreal!

We had one of the best photopass CM of the whole trip very first thing and love these creative pics.

IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3488.JPG

He wanted Keegan to take the selfie but you can tell his answer by this picture:rolleyes:

We were able to hit 3 photopass spots in 20 min!! That is the new perk of park opening at 8am.
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG

So the new morning show and letting all guests enter at 8 am put a wrinkle in my original plan. Which was an 8am @CP to get those coveted empty park photos and a jump on the crowds. I ended up switching to 8:20am at BoG to get a jump start on FL instead since they don't let guests back there unless you have an BoG ADR. BoG is also my favorite place to eat! Even if he breakfast food is just ok.
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3497.JPG
IMG_3507.JPG

It would have been a flawless plan...we finished breakfast at 8:55am thanks to pre ordering and were first in line for PPF...but CM said it wouldn't open for another 30min:facepalm:

On to plan B...

Next: Plan B and a stampede of people like I've never seen before.

PrincessL

Original Poster
Can't wait to read more! Did you have any problems with renting points for the Poly? That's the next resort that I want to try but I'm scared it will be hard to rent.
Thanks for following!

We actually had a very smooth process with David's. I put in our request a week before our 7 month window and they secured our reservation 1 day into that window so we didn't even pay premium pricing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom