You know your youth is long gone when...

...a 3 night Disney cruise without the kids takes 12 hours of solid sleep to begin the recovery! LOL! Poor old Tracey!

Hello again and welcome to the next SweetPee adventure! If you don't already know me go check out some of our other adventures down there in my signature. You'll learn things you never wanted to! For those of y'all that do, HIIIIII!!!! ((waving like a fool))

Two big things are missing in this trip that you'll notice right away: Chandler and Brian. This trip was my "surprise" anniversary present from my sweetness. Even though our anniversary wasn't until September, I got the call from Mickey (SURPRISE!) on July 4th weekend. I was so excited! My old man totally stinks at surprises so it amazed me he had been able to get with Tammy (disneyfalcon) to book the cruise, airfare, and pre-cruise hotel. Woot! I had the next 2+ months to pour over the details, daydream, and diet! September came before I knew what hit me!

You know your youth is long gone when...

...you've officially been married for half of your entire life! Yep, I was just 19 years old when we got married in September 1993. See where that number in my username comes from? :D Half of my life. That's a long time. And what an adventure it's been!

Wednesday, Sept. 26
Tracey worked half the day. I packed and got my toes did.

file.jpg

I know. Right? Who takes a pic of THAT?! I do. LOL!

Chandler & Tracey's mom drove with us to the airport (HOU) so Chandler could drive the Tahoe back home. No paying to park. Niiiiice. Gawd, I'm old! My KID is taking us to the airport now! Ugh!

We had a few hours to kill so we had dinner at Pappadeaux on Mustang Engineering's kindness. We used the nice gift card Tracey got at work for stepping up as a project lead even though he really didn't want to. Nice little folio the gift card came in:

file-2.jpg

I Instagram'd this one! I had a yummy sangria-ish something (can't remember the name) and Tracey had a double Crown & diet Coke.

file-3.jpg

I had this really good tomato & mozzarella w/blue cheese crumbles and balsamic. It was delish! I also had a cheesy baked potato. I got my cheesecake dessert to go.

file-1.jpg

We had a pretty uneventful flight. Good luck to the baseball team from Oklahoma who were going to the WWoS to play in a tournament. They were pretty funny. Had a whole game of catch (someone brought a football?) waiting at the baggage claim in MCO. I was sooooo tempted to get in on that. I love to play football!

Gathered our bags and got checked in at the Hyatt right there in the airport. Had a king room overlooking the runway. It was a nice room. I'd love to say "perfect" but the bed was pretty uncomfortable. Everything else was quite nice...especially the fantastic price I got: $106 total!

file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg

Yeah, I know you're all thinking, "Why didn't you go out to a WDW resort?" Cruising is a different animal, people. There's a method to my madness here. Plus, WDW so grossly overprices their rooms just so they can discount 'em. It's the principal. I can smile knowing this once I didn't wear the "sucker" cap. :D

In bed asleep at midnight. Big day tomorrow!

NewfieFan

Can I cry on Tracey's shoulder too? I think I was sad for you because the TR was coming to an end. What an amazing getaway for you guys. I guess when my babies are all grown (not that I'm wishing that away) I will look forward to little adventures just my man and me.

So your next cruise is in June, hey? Is that out of FL as well?

emcclay

Once I relaxed Remy really was pretty cool. I'm glad we did it. While there we discussed if we wanted to do it again next cruise. Tracey says no. If my brother wants to try it he said I should go with him Tracey doesn't want to spend that long on a meal again. Chef was very cool. I got him talking a bit about what level of input he has on the recipes when chefs Lallement & Hunnel come to tweek things. He had me giggling, especially about Lallement. Lallement is a good bit younger than Chef Patrick. He said Lallement will come excited to use a "new" technique to make something then Chef Patrick shows it to him. Lellement will be confused, "You know this?" Well, yes, it's a technique that's been around a very long time. LOL! Whenever you start concocting desserts & interacting look me up. I'll come be your guinea pig and give you honest (not mean) feedback!

Definitely try cruising if you can! It's every bit as wonderful as a parks vaca, it's just different. I've heard there are good CM deals to be had in the slower seasons. When you do go, you have to come tell us all about it!

That is a very long time for a meal. Good to know the environment was not "stuffy". Everyone should be entitled to fancy dining experiences once in a while!

Older generation chefs have so much knowledge. The one thing I love about working with food is the fact the culinary world is always changing. Lots of the new chefs are into Molecular Gastronomy. I'll admit, I am too. Just love how you can totally deconstruct desserts, drinks and meals by using a simple additive.

If I am still working at WDW next September, I will be jumping on the Girls Cruise... CM discount on Dooney's!! :D

PS. Started following you on Instagram the other day- I do post pictures of desserts and other treats I make. My username on there is the same as here :)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
WOW, the pictures from Remy look good! I don't think I would eat there (Palo is more my style), but I enjoy the pictures all the same

I'm glad I did Remy so now I know what it's like. As far as cuisine on the ship, I definitely think the food there is top-notch. My problem is that we've lived in places where rich, vibrant food was easy as pie to find. Heck, it's nothing for us to cook things that taste as good as what we had at Remy. We're kinda a tough audience to please, I guess. ((I'm sure this is also the main reason I find most food that others rave about at WDW about as exciting as eating my pooch's dry kibble. LOL!)) Palo was wonderful, too! I'm eager to try Remy's brunch. Breakfast is my overall favorite meal to eat so brunch should be right up my alley.

Can I cry on Tracey's shoulder too? I think I was sad for you because the TR was coming to an end. What an amazing getaway for you guys. I guess when my babies are all grown (not that I'm wishing that away) I will look forward to little adventures just my man and me.

Of course us mommies wouldn't wish the years with our little ones away. Okay, well, I admit I wished away the time until the boys could get up early, open the fridge to get out their sippy cups, and open the baggies with pop tarts that I left them on their little table. And turn on the television on their own. Chandler has always gotten up with the chickens then needed to wake up his brother because he didn't like being alone. So, yeah, I wished those early mornings away for sure! I never was good at the night time baby feedings either. I was always eager to find ways to get long sleeps out the babies. I'm terrible, huh?

So your next cruise is in June, hey? Is that out of FL as well?

Next cruise currently booked is May 25 - June 1. We wouldn't normally go so late in May but my brother's ex won't let him take his girls out of school to vacation. The girls wanted to go on their first cruise with us so we paid a little extra and are doing what we can to make it work. Should be fun. I'm anxious to see what my brother thinks of it all. I think he's going to love it!

Since getting lucky and scoring a cabana my old man is itchy as all heck to make higher levels of the Castaway Club (repeat cruisers). To hit the next level (gold) we need to complete 2 more sailings. So now Tracey is itching to book a back-to-back (2 cruises in a row) on the Dream before we get to March. I still think our chances of getting a cabana in May are slim even if we do make it that gold level booking advantage. Our May sailing is likely to sell out so there will be tons of concierge & platinums who will snap them up. Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky. If Tracey wants to push to book other cruises before then I'm certainly not going to say no as long as the finances allow. LOL!

That is a very long time for a meal. Good to know the environment was not "stuffy". Everyone should be entitled to fancy dining experiences once in a while!

Older generation chefs have so much knowledge. The one thing I love about working with food is the fact the culinary world is always changing. Lots of the new chefs are into Molecular Gastronomy. I'll admit, I am too. Just love how you can totally deconstruct desserts, drinks and meals by using a simple additive.

If I am still working at WDW next September, I will be jumping on the Girls Cruise... CM discount on Dooney's!! :D

PS. Started following you on Instagram the other day- I do post pictures of desserts and other treats I make. My username on there is the same as here :)

It was a long time for a meal. I didn't know I could sit still for that long. It all went by pretty fast which surprised me. I'd have thought it'd drag on and on endlessly. I love to eat and I love good food but I don't think I want to spend that long to have it again.

I'll have to look up that Molecular Gastonomy. Sounds almost scary, like some chef is playing games with my digestive system. What kinds of additives are these chefs using??? Eek! At least at places like McD's we know up front we're getting garbage, pieces, & mystery parts. Yikes!

Oh I hope they come out with a few new Dooney designs for the cruise line next year. I'm pretty well covered for this year's models. LOL! I hope you make it onto the cruise with us. It's gonna be such fun! Afterwards when y'all leave I may be hopping right back on the ship. Next year IS the big 2-0 anniversary... Ack! I'm oooooold! LOL!

Three comments: Thanks for a great TR; what a great picture of the two of you; and when I first saw that top pic, I thought the food on the right was bacon.

Thank YOU for reading! I love writing TRs! Ugh, soooo not the best pic of us but we don't seem to have much of any together, huh? When I first saw those cookies from a distance on other people's tables I thought they were bacon, too. I was thinking sweet maple bacon to balance the sweet of the candies. I wonder if I could go to Remy and order just the candy assortment? Better yet, just bring the chocolate and caramel!

I ate our lollipops after I got home. Man, were they good! Flavor like you wouldn't believe! I want more!!!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Heeeeeyyy!!!!

Did anyone notice????? I didn't do a single load of laundry!!!!! It's like a first for me, going on a trip and NOT doing ANY laundry!!!

Disneyfalcon

Heeeeeyyy!!!!

Did anyone notice????? I didn't do a single load of laundry!!!!! It's like a first for me, going on a trip and NOT doing ANY laundry!!!

Oh my goodness. You are so right. That's crazy, Kelly!! Were you itching to do it? Did your fingers get a nervous twitch or anything? Lol!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Oh my goodness. You are so right. That's crazy, Kelly!! Were you itching to do it? Did your fingers get a nervous twitch or anything? Lol!

LOL!

Actually, this was an active topic of discussion prior to the cruise because I was going to pack the last few Tide pods I have left (I saved them for travel laundry). Then, while on the cruise at least once we discussed if we wanted to wash the dirty laundry. I think I have found the one true perk of short cruises: you don't need to do laundry. Since we moved I don't have my oober-awesome front-load machines anymore. The mini/toy machines that come in the apartment are a joke. I do at least 2 loads of laundry every day and I hate it! So this trip I was happy, delighted even, to not do a single load of wash. If we did a longer kid-free trip I would probably bite the bullet and pay for the laundry service rather than do it myself. Ooooh...I just thought of something! I should be training the boys in laundry science so on our next trip I can make THEM do the laundry! Seriously! It could be their payment for the otherwise "free" cruise on Mom & Dad's dime. Genius!

Disneyfalcon

LOL!

Actually, this was an active topic of discussion prior to the cruise because I was going to pack the last few Tide pods I have left (I saved them for travel laundry). Then, while on the cruise at least once we discussed if we wanted to wash the dirty laundry. I think I have found the one true perk of short cruises: you don't need to do laundry. Since we moved I don't have my oober-awesome front-load machines anymore. The mini/toy machines that come in the apartment are a joke. I do at least 2 loads of laundry every day and I hate it! So this trip I was happy, delighted even, to not do a single load of wash. If we did a longer kid-free trip I would probably bite the bullet and pay for the laundry service rather than do it myself. Ooooh...I just thought of something! I should be training the boys in laundry science so on our next trip I can make THEM do the laundry! Seriously! It could be their payment for the otherwise "free" cruise on Mom & Dad's dime. Genius!

That is so true, you do not need to laundry on a 3 night. We didn't need laundry on our 5 night, but we splurged for the pressing which was awesome.

Excellent idea! Make the boys do the laundry!

YoungNY

We scanned our key and the door swung open all by itself! Whaaaaa???? Here's the video tour I took a few minutes later:

I know I sound awful. Took the video mostly because when we called to tell Chandler we got the upgrade he demanded we bring him a video of it. LOL![/quote]
V

That room is amazing! Did I see a tv in that mirror in the bathroom? Wow!

WishIWasAtWDW

great trip report kelly!! it sounds like you two had a very nice anniversary trip! i'm so glad that you ended up enjoying your dinner at remy. i was so nervous for you at first with the way things seemed to be going but i am glad that you started being yourself. it sounds like it ended up being a magical meal! and those roses were so beautiful! i would have also been sad to leave them but agree that it was a better alternative than seeing them thrown away at customs. wes and i are also going on the disney fantasy next may. our cruise is may 11-17. its too bad we aren't on the same cruise. you could have helped us make some strong drinky drinks! :D thanks again for sharing!!

iloverags2

Just arrived home today from our weekend girls getaway, and just finishing up reading your report. Excellent weekend for the two of you!!!

tiaragirl

Instead of doing homework, then this - I did this, and will then attempt homework.

4:19PM: Rapids looks like an unreal time! I'm sorry you had to walk up power tower, however - worth the walk for that view! Nassau has some of the prettiest water.

4:25PM: Dying at Tracey and how he thinks he sounds like a hick, ahahahah. Also, so glad about all your "FUN" times.

4:28PM: All these Atlantis pictures are unbelievable. It's so massive! Hard to imagine a resort with all those slides and landscaping and etc. There was a Mary Kate and Ashley movie shot at Atlantis but I don't remember it seeming THAT big.. #90sgirl

4:33PM: Girl, I need those carrot cake squares RIGHT NOW. I'm back from my Thanksgiving weekend at home and I have no more homemade treats - back to cooking for myself, sob.

4:39PM: As a non-drinker, that seems like a lot of alcohol to me, and I'm proud that you held it all in ;) Also, that Mudslide looked pretty and promising.

4:44PM: I LOVE CAPTAIN HENRY! He is always my favourite! For 4/5 of my cruises, he's been the captain (Captain Thord on the Wonder in Mexico did not stand up at the challenge). He's definitely a gem and always up for a picture!

4:50PM: "It;s not like we were going to doooooo anything in there". 'Nuff said. LOLing. PS: You guys are gems.

4:55PM: Just.. don't let Tracey be the photographer unless you want pictures of your aft. Life lessons, girl!

4:57: I'm proud of your snorkeling excursions and that you were nice and safe and in the sun. Last time I was at Serenity Bay was 2010, and we all decided tanning in the water was a good idea. NOT. The airplane ride home the next day was the worst. Ever.

4:59PM: I spy mail and a Holly-esque mirror photo!

5:03PM: Believe is such an amazing show - I loved all the parts of it, and it's nice after seeing Dreams so many times! Princess and the Frog is a movie I need to snag before it goes back in the vault, I keep balking at the 27$ as a student but the music is soooo gooodd..
BLAH, MUST do homework, I have a meeting at 6 and I'm UNPREPARED.

fractal

Great report Kelly! Your last two trip reports are really pushing me towards a cruise - maybe we will see you and your clan on one. :D

I thought you handled yourself well at the "fancy shmancy" dinner. They can certainly be intimidating.

Congrats on the anniversary! Looks to me that Tracy knocked it out of the park with this trip - mega kudos to him.

We have our 20th coming up soon and I have made zero plans so far. :eek:

Thanks for sharing!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I juuuust remembered what Suelen added to our lemon drop martinis as our bonus! ((I was reading a duty-free list for another sailing)) It was Sambuca! I'd give anything to have that lemon drop recipe!!!

plaz10

If I wasn't excited for the girls cruise before...holy heck lady I sure am now! For multiple reasons...

#1 How freaking gorgeous is the Dream? I'm in love. And I'm sure it's even better in real life vs pictures. I am having trouble figuring out how I'm going to accomplish everything I want to do in the short 4 days we have.
#2 The mixology class looks so much fun! And $15 for a good buzz? Sounds great to me! Just a buzz though...no sleeping on the verandah for me!
#3 THE FOOD. My wedding dress (that hasn't been bought yet) is cowering with fear. Everything looks so good. Although I'm not sold on Remy - I think I'm too picky of an eater for that. But the Palo brunch looks right up my alley!
#4 Atlantis! Looks absolutely stunning. Totally worth the money I think but do I want to spend time that could be enjoying all the things the ship has to offer while many people are gone? Then again I've never been to Nassau. So many decisions!
#5 (and most importantly)...YOU! Can't wait to have you as my roomie! Not only are you extremely knowledgeable about Disney cruising but you just seem so freakin' fun! I'm very much looking forward to meeting all the wdwmagic girls on the cruise. It's going to be a blast!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
great trip report kelly!! it sounds like you two had a very nice anniversary trip! i'm so glad that you ended up enjoying your dinner at remy. i was so nervous for you at first with the way things seemed to be going but i am glad that you started being yourself. it sounds like it ended up being a magical meal! and those roses were so beautiful! i would have also been sad to leave them but agree that it was a better alternative than seeing them thrown away at customs. wes and i are also going on the disney fantasy next may. our cruise is may 11-17. its too bad we aren't on the same cruise. you could have helped us make some strong drinky drinks! :D thanks again for sharing!!

I know! I totally would love to cruise with more WDWMagic peeps! We had to do the end of May for the Fantasy because my brother's girls can't take off from school to go on vacations. We have to wait for them to be finished. My nieces wanted their first cruise to be with us super bad which I think is well worth the wait and a little more $$. It's going to be amazing! Currently my boys are scheduled to finish up in the 1st week of May but that may get pushed an additional week. It's nice having the flexibility we do.

Just arrived home today from our weekend girls getaway, and just finishing up reading your report. Excellent weekend for the two of you!!!

It felt like it was soooo much longer than just 3 days this time. We had such an amazing time. The whole week after we got home I kept asking if we could go back and have a do-over. I seriously loved the alone adventure with my bestest friend. I hope we can space these trips without the boys a little closer than our previous spread (May '08 to Sept. '12). Hope your quick cruise was as much fun as ours!

Instead of doing homework, then this - I did this, and will then attempt homework.

You're coming over to the dark side.... :p

: Rapids looks like an unreal time! I'm sorry you had to walk up power tower, however - worth the walk for that view! Nassau has some of the prettiest water.

Oh yes! Well worth those views. It's breezy up there, too. Very nice.

: Dying at Tracey and how he thinks he sounds like a hick, ahahahah. Also, so glad about all your "FUN" times.

I know! I was like a broken record! ((ancient technology...they skip & repeat...))

: All these Atlantis pictures are unbelievable. It's so massive! Hard to imagine a resort with all those slides and landscaping and etc. There was a Mary Kate and Ashley movie shot at Atlantis but I don't remember it seeming THAT big.. #90sgirl

Atlantis is pretty big. We've been there on these little excursions twice now and still have so much more to see. I really like the place. If airfare wasn't so much I'd go there for a vacation in a heartbeat.

: Girl, I need those carrot cake squares RIGHT NOW. I'm back from my Thanksgiving weekend at home and I have no more homemade treats - back to cooking for myself, sob.

Me, too, and it's not even Turkey Day here yet. Ugh! I loved that the little cakes were chilled. Made them so refreshing.

: As a non-drinker, that seems like a lot of alcohol to me, and I'm proud that you held it all in ;) Also, that Mudslide looked pretty and promising.

That mudslide was very yum-o. It was a lot of alcohol for me. Seriously, that was about all I could muster, tho. If it'd been anymore I'd have been taking single-sip sample tastes.

: I LOVE CAPTAIN HENRY! He is always my favourite! For 4/5 of my cruises, he's been the captain (Captain Thord on the Wonder in Mexico did not stand up at the challenge). He's definitely a gem and always up for a picture!

I remembered Captain Henry from one of your reports, I think! Maybe even 2 reports! Yeah! It was you and your friends then the cruise you took with your fam! I'm terrible with names and remember those types of details so I was completely impressed with myself for remembering him. You're so right about him in all the things I've read that you've written. He's really a gem!

: "It;s not like we were going to doooooo anything in there". 'Nuff said. LOLing. PS: You guys are gems.

Remember this. When you've been married *this* long the thought does cross your brain that some things you can do at home anytime so it's better to take advantage of the stuff you can't do at home when the opportunity presents. o_O I guess maybe that makes the whole thing a little worse, huh? LOL!

: Just.. don't let Tracey be the photographer unless you want pictures of your aft. Life lessons, girl!

Yep. Tracey with the camera = aft or life preservers. Not what I want for vacation photos to remember the adventure. :rolleyes:

4:57: I'm proud of your snorkeling excursions and that you were nice and safe and in the sun. Last time I was at Serenity Bay was 2010, and we all decided tanning in the water was a good idea. NOT. The airplane ride home the next day was the worst. Ever.

Well, the spray-on sunblock comes in the cabanas so there's no excuses for not applying. They don't come with tanning lotion, that's for sure. I think I even used sunblock for snorkeling (normally I use an SPF15) because of Tammy's warnings about burning while snorkeling. Mostly I didn't want to be overdone on one side and undercooked on the other. LOL!

: I spy mail and a Holly-esque mirror photo!

;)

: Believe is such an amazing show - I loved all the parts of it, and it's nice after seeing Dreams so many times! Princess and the Frog is a movie I need to snag before it goes back in the vault, I keep balking at the 27$ as a student but the music is soooo gooodd..

We have the soundtrack cd for that movie, too. The music was so well done. Love it!

BLAH, MUST do homework, I have a meeting at 6 and I'm UNPREPARED.

Eeek! Don't become a slacker like me! I hope your meeting went okay. :D

Great report Kelly! Your last two trip reports are really pushing me towards a cruise - maybe we will see you and your clan on one. :D

I thought you handled yourself well at the "fancy shmancy" dinner. They can certainly be intimidating.

Congrats on the anniversary! Looks to me that Tracy knocked it out of the park with this trip - mega kudos to him.

We have our 20th coming up soon and I have made zero plans so far. :eek:

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Chris! From everything you've said about your family and reading your reports I really do think a cruise would be a great balance, something for each of you. Would love to sail with your family! Remember, next big adventure shall be the Fantasy Western Caribbean, 5/25/13! My brother and I got connecting aft verandas so we'll have an amazing view and plenty of space to host pre-mixology drinks! Woot!

Yep, I did my best with the fancy dinner. I'm usually not bothered by formalities and such. It was just sooooo much and prob'ly my emotions were running high anyway knowing it was the last night.

Thanks for the congrats! And congrats to you on your upcoming #20! Tracey totally killed it on this anniversary. I think I may have planted a little seed for next year recently...not that I'd try to do that intentionally....

....yeah, right! LOL!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
If I wasn't excited for the girls cruise before...holy heck lady I sure am now! For multiple reasons...

#1 How freaking gorgeous is the Dream? I'm in love. And I'm sure it's even better in real life vs pictures. I am having trouble figuring out how I'm going to accomplish everything I want to do in the short 4 days we have.
#2 The mixology class looks so much fun! And $15 for a good buzz? Sounds great to me! Just a buzz though...no sleeping on the verandah for me!
#3 THE FOOD. My wedding dress (that hasn't been bought yet) is cowering with fear. Everything looks so good. Although I'm not sold on Remy - I think I'm too picky of an eater for that. But the Palo brunch looks right up my alley!
#4 Atlantis! Looks absolutely stunning. Totally worth the money I think but do I want to spend time that could be enjoying all the things the ship has to offer while many people are gone? Then again I've never been to Nassau. So many decisions!
#5 (and most importantly)...YOU! Can't wait to have you as my roomie! Not only are you extremely knowledgeable about Disney cruising but you just seem so freakin' fun! I'm very much looking forward to meeting all the wdwmagic girls on the cruise. It's going to be a blast!

Jess! Yay! I totally wanted to pump the girls up even more (is that possible?!) with my TR!

#1 The Dream is an incredibly beautiful ship. The details will render you speechless! Don't get ahead of yourself on your 4 short days. Prioritize your to-dos and leave the rest to the next adventure!
#2 Mixology was a trip! I'd do it again. No sleeping on the verandah for me either. I'm too old for all that. It took me a solid day just to get over a good buzzing. I'd shoot my whole stinkin' cruise if I went too far!
#3 The food. Well, I was going to ask for everything in half portions and bring my diet pills. I forgot the pills in the truck before we flew out and then forgot about the half portions. Remy is so much more than just the food but it's a lot of money for something you aren't sure of. I understand. Palo brunch makes my heart go pitter-pat! That one could be my undoing....
#4 Atlantis can always wait for future trips. A lot of people don't get off the ship in Nassau. You could at least get off the ship for an hour or 2...maybe go to Senor Frogs?
#5 When you finish the girls cruise you'll be well on your way to knowing the in's & out's of the cruising, too! I can't wait for the girls cruise, too. It's going to be so much fun!

Thanks for reading! TTYS!

joanna71985

I can't wait for the girls' cruise!! It's going to be sooooo much fun, and I can't wait to meet you all :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom