Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
This maybe a silly question, but I have tried reading these 82 plus pages and cannot find the answer...IS it actually being fixed right now????? Or is this a deceiving headline to yet another Yeti thread....
Uh, I hate to tell U this but, this thread is 3 yrs. old. Disney probably did get some motion restored to him, but that was probably only for like 1 month, then he broke again. I rode E:E in 2011, he was still strobin.

djkidkaz

This maybe a silly question, but I have tried reading these 82 plus pages and cannot find the answer...IS it actually being fixed right now????? Or is this a deceiving headline to yet another Yeti thread....

Someone who knows everything there is too know about the Polynesian said his sources claimed it was being fixed in the near future. It was a sign of hope for a short while but he hasn't returned to this thread with any updates so well just assume he's staying in one of the new DVC rooms over the lake drinking from a glass that has a little umbrella in it.

Castle Cake Apologist

Someone who knows everything there is too know about the Polynesian said his sources claimed it was being fixed in the near future. It was a sign of hope for a short while but he hasn't returned to this thread with any updates so well just assume he's staying in one of the new DVC rooms over the lake drinking from a glass that has a little umbrella in it.

To be fair, he is generally a pretty trusted source of information.

They did recently change up the lighting in the cavern, so perhaps there's hope yet.

Disneyhead'71

I'd wait until early next year before calling bunk on the rumor. It is not uncommon for projects approved in the new fiscal year budget to actually start work after the Holiday rush. Oct., Nov., and Dec. are too busy now to take down a parks most popular E Ticket. Jan. is better operationally.
Now if nothing has happened by Spring Break, it won't happen this year.

BigThunderMatt

The jumping fountains have worked on nearly every time I have ridden the attraction in the last 2 months. THAT'S INSANE.

I think a lot of what contributed to this upkeep is that Splash Mountain stopped being an offering during Extra Magic Hours. That extra time for maintenance, compounded over time, has likely added up to a lot more TLC for an attraction that is likely a beast to keep in good shape.

Alektronic

I'd wait until early next year before calling bunk on the rumor. It is not uncommon for projects approved in the new fiscal year budget to actually start work after the Holiday rush. Oct., Nov., and Dec. are too busy now to take down a parks most popular E Ticket. Jan. is better operationally.
Now if nothing has happened by Spring Break, it won't happen this year.

Latest update I got was they are giving up on the Yeti. They couldn't find a cost effective repair for him, so they just gave up on fixing him. They might consider replacing him with something else in the future? but probably more than 3-4 years.

garagely

I had the chance to meet an Imagineer onboard the Disney Fantasy last month. He did a Q&A session, taking questions (sometimes embarrassingly bad ones!) from the audience. I decided it would be rude to ask about the Yeti in front of everyone, so I waited until the session was over and approached him privately. I just asked what was up and would the Yeti ever move again? He said that he knew about term Disco Yeti and insisted that he does, in fact, have motion. I thanked him for his time and wandered off thinking that it was total BS. Then again, it was probably in poor taste of me to ask at all.

Scuttle

I had the chance to meet an Imagineer onboard the Disney Fantasy last month. He did a Q&A session, taking questions (sometimes embarrassingly bad ones!) from the audience. I decided it would be rude to ask about the Yeti in front of everyone, so I waited until the session was over and approached him privately. I just asked what was up and would the Yeti ever move again? He said that he knew about term Disco Yeti and insisted that he does, in fact, have motion. I thanked him for his time and wandered off thinking that it was total BS. Then again, it was probably in poor taste of me to ask at all.
I wouldn't say it's poor taste.

ExtinctJenn

I think any Imagineer who does a sort of Meet & Greet like this should expect there is a chance they'll get the type of fan that has those questions. That was my long winded way of saying I don't think it was in poor taste at all.

Now that said, I believe "B Mode" or what we all call "Disco Yeti" does in fact still have movement, just not to the point of "A Mode." That's why it's referred to as being in "B Mode" and not "off." I remember reading a post somewhere along the line (probably somewhere in this thread) from someone who explained specifically what does and does not move on him while in "B Mode." If I remember right it was essentially all the same movements but only with like 10% of the pressure behind it (i.e. shaky shaky dancey dancey vs. big fluid swinging of the arm etc.). I've read so much about him and been corrected so many times it all sort of starts to blur together. :D

natatomic

No. There is NO movement. Why oh why did that imagineer have to go keep stirring the pot? The only thing that moves, like the previous poster said, is his hair. He hasn't moved since...2010, if memory serves me correctly.

Now, he still has the ABILITY to move. He HAS been placed in different positions manually, but no...he does not move during the actual ride.

Edited to add that I have firsthand knowledge of this, I'm not just a nay-sayer!

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just got back from a visit. The Yeti's still hosting a disco party :( Also, the bird on a stick was missing.

Really?! it was there when we visited in September. Sigh.... I'll be riding next Wednesday so can provide updates about the bird. First Yeti and now the bird.... :banghead:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Uh, no.... He was on a Disney cruise not as a guest but as an employee and part of the "package". He should anticipate both smart and dumb questions from the audience in a Q&A session. I'm sure TDO is aware of websites like this and the discussions and opinions expressed, since he was familiar with the term Disco Yeti, a term I am sure Disney didn't come up with. If I was him, I'd have giving an answer more along the lines of, "I've never worked on that project, so I'm not really going to be a good source of information about the problems with the Yeti". Sometimes a less defensive response is best... Like many large corporations, I doubt if every imagineer is up to speed about every problem with all the rides in all the Disney parks.

And you did him a favor by asking the question in private or as Disney likes to say, off stage...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom