Yeti is indeed being fixed! Update 8/4/2014

Goofyernmost

Wow..

Here is what I have taken from this long conversation... Using our many years of engineering, and theme park management experience... We can all come together and pool our resources, then as a community of like minded individuals, and mail WDI the paperclip that it would take to fix the Yeti, and give them 15 minutes to let Kermit install it. All good!

I'm going to in late September, if we could get this thing moving and done so that the failed Yeti doesn't ruin my trip yet again, that would be great!

I volunteer $20!
I've got a spare roll of Duct Tape that I will be happy to donate. Paperclips and Duct Tape can fix everything!

righttrack

Maybe we should create a Kickstarter fund!

I think the main issue is that they are trying to boost attendance to this park. Any downtime of the ride would impact that goal. They need another E ticket in this park before they shut that thing down for any length of time. It's a good people-eater where it's located. It doesn't break down as often as RnRC, TT and SM does.

Buried20KLeague

Yeti's arm and hand, also hang over the ride path. While this may have been acceptable design back when the Everest project was designed, Disney no longer wants any animation directly over any ride path. Another reason why there is no push to get Yeti moving again!

I suspected this a good while ago, and said as much.

All that weight moving above riders' heads, in the form of an animatronic that has already failed once?

I want them to fix it as much or more than anyone else, but I just think that the lawyers would stop it.

I could see them fixing it and changing the programming to something that would be deemed more "safe"... A "neutered A mode", if you will. And we all know how that would go over.

Nick Wilde

Maybe we should create a Kickstarter fund!

I think the main issue is that they are trying to boost attendance to this park. Any downtime of the ride would impact that goal. They need another E ticket in this park before they shut that thing down for any length of time. It's a good people-eater where it's located. It doesn't break down as often as RnRC, TT and SM does.
AKA Pandora....

NormC

It IS the Yeti, and not the foundation

Still just hearsay. Many have said the yeti is fine but it is the sled that is connected to its back that is broken. Many say it is the foundation the sled is mounted to that is broken. Still all rumor. No one here has presented any facts.

Nick Wilde

Still just hearsay. Many have said the yeti is fine but it is the sled that is connected to its back that is broken. Many say it is the foundation the sled is mounted to that is broken. Still all rumor. No one here has presented any facts.
That's what I'd like. Some cold hard facts. no matter how small or large, FACTS ARE FACTS. This floating rumors and wishful thinking is so annoying, because one person says one thing that makes perfect sense, then someone says the exact opposite, and it also sounds right. *sigh*

boufa

Tell me 2 things...
1) has any noticeable number of people stopped going to AK because the yeti isn't working?
2) Would a noticeable number of people go to AK once/if they fix it?

The reality is that it isn't effecting the attendance at all. Sure there are a handful of people who would rather be at Harry Potter, who say "the broken Yeti is why I am going to Harry Potter" But lets be honest, it might be a very small factor at most.

Simple... its an effect that used to work a long time ago, that no longer works. It isn't going to be fixed, Disney clearly doesn't consider it broken, only altered from its initial design. Not letting people ride in the front of the monorail is the same thing... it isn't going to get fixed, it simply doesn't work that way anymore.

Nick Wilde

Tell me 2 things...
1) has any noticeable number of people stopped going to AK because the yeti isn't working?

The reality is that it isn't effecting the attendance at all. Sure there are a handful of people who would rather be at Harry Potter, who say "the broken Yeti is why I am going to Harry Potter" But lets be honest, it might be a very small factor at most.

Simple... its an effect that used to work a long time ago, that no longer works. It isn't going to be fixed, Disney clearly doesn't consider it broken, only altered from its initial design. Not letting people ride in the front of the monorail is the same thing... it isn't going to get fixed, it simply doesn't work that way anymore.
I'm sitting here like, "This explains everything." I wish I had thought of it.:(

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's what I'd like. Some cold hard facts. no matter how small or large, FACTS ARE FACTS. This floating rumors and wishful thinking is so annoying, because one person says one thing that makes perfect sense, then someone says the exact opposite, and it also sounds right. *sigh*

The problem is that people posting here may be providing facts, but we have no was of substantiating it. Disney will likely never make a public statement as to what was wrong with the Yeti, so we will probably never get all the facts.

Goofyernmost

The problem is that people posting here may be providing facts, but we have no was of substantiating it. Disney will likely never make a public statement as to what was wrong with the Yeti, so we will probably never get all the facts.
Here's what I'd do... Pretty much every possible scenario as to what is broken, the degree of difficulty in physical repair, the reasons why Disney isn't fixing it or is fixing it, depending on the suns location in the sky, etc., has been presented. Simply believe everything you have read. One of them is bound to be correct and then we can all sigh and say.. See, that's what I thought!

Then once again all things can be right with the world, life will go on, people will continue to ride EE, the sun will come up in the east and down in the west, the birds will once again chirp a merry tune, flowers will bloom and admission prices will cheerfully continue to rise. Walt Disney will continue to be dead, new people with a head full of "pie in the sky" business theories will come in and occupy the office spaces and run the board rooms of major companies, accept massive bonus's and start feeling that their name is actually, "Yes, sir" simply because that is what everyone says to them constantly. The only real change will be that, and I got this from a good source, that "The Spirit" will take a part time job at McDonalds, while working full time for Walmart! :happy:

champdisney

Earlier today while visiting DAK, I asked a cast member who was working Everest if he had heard any rumblings about a refurbishment to the attraction. He told me he hasn't but agreed that a tune up to Everest does need to be done. Seems to me that a lot of people are out of the loop on almost every rumor that's been tossed around, as of today I choose to disregard rumors for here on out.

Alektronic

Or maybe, people have provided the facts and others choose not to believe them or just don't understand them.

I never heard about a sled being connected to the Yeti's back. It is a Thomson Rod that rides in a huge Linear Slide. The sled they are talking about is under his right foot and when he basically pivots near the ride track, it is bearing most of the weight, the rod in his back basically just stabilizes him. His left arm and left foot are just dummy actuators. So he is pivoting on his left and swinging his right arm.

He has a lot of Yak hair(yes, actual Yak hair) on him and adds a lot of weight and other problems with his coverings that needed some repairs, just like all AA figures. But when you go changing the computer program and parameters, and then that shifts stresses to other parts, then it develops cracks in other parts. Then they complained to WDI that it was due to bad engineering and wanted WDI to fix it. When WDI investigated the problems and saw all the unauthorized changes that were made, they said basically that voided the warranty. So WDW/DAK would have to pay for the repairs. So they have a lot of repairs planned, but who is going to pay for it is the big problem!! So until someone wants to spend some money to fix it, it will just sit there.

cheezbat

Tell me 2 things...

1. Yes...I don't go anymore. I'm noticeable. ;)

2. Yes...I'd come back to DAK once they fix the yeti AND add Avatarland.

Make me happy WDW!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom