Yeti Fixed? Anyone Going to AK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinTheGoat

I'd call BS to this unless there's some proof. Besides being unlikely that Disney even cares much or at all about the fact that it's broken (some of the management is probably even glad it doesn't work so it saves them money), I couldn't figure they could just correct whatever is wrong with it so quickly without any notice. I don't recall what it was that the insiders here decided was the problem with it, but it doesn't seem like it was something that could be fixed without anyone knowing it was going to be fixed well ahead of time.

As one of the tweets said, video or it didn't happen.

lazyboy97o

I'd call BS to this unless there's some proof. Besides being unlikely that Disney even cares much or at all about the fact that it's broken (some of the management is probably even glad it doesn't work so it saves them money), I couldn't figure they could just correct whatever is wrong with it so quickly without any notice. I don't recall what it was that the insiders here decided was the problem with it, but it doesn't seem like it was something that could be fixed without anyone knowing it was going to be fixed well ahead of time.

As one of the tweets said, video or it didn't happen.
There was some event of some sort (park's 10th anniversary?) where they had A mode on while Joe Rohde was in town.

MerlinTheGoat

There was some event of some sort (park's 10th anniversary?) where they had A mode on while Joe Rohde was in town.

That would have been 2008, right?

Thus far I recall hearing two possible explanations about why the Yeti doesn't work from this site, both of which involve him actually being intentionally switched off and not because the animatronic itself is completely incapable of movement. The first I heard was that the concrete foundation that the yeti is mounted to was supposedly poured incorrectly and received cracks or some sort of damage due to the stress from the tremendous force of the yeti's movement. The other explanation was that the yeti may have had a part that wasn't correctly built (not lubricated properly in assembly or something). I don't know which of those is true, or whether both are wrong and there's actually another explanation entirely.

Either way, I suppose in either case they could probably switch the animatronic on in very brief and special cases without incident. But running every day all year round, I would imagine the problems would quickly catch up from operating all the time and may even cause some safety related issues. I really don't know, but i'm still going to assume this tweet is BS before anything else is confirmed otherwise.

MerlinTheGoat

That is the story from @Lee and the one I am more inclined to believe.

Yeah, that's the more recent one as far as I know. I don't know if there is any different updated info about the situation, but that's the one i'm also inclined to assume is right since it's the latest info that i'm aware of from Lee.

Seems plausible that they could switch the yeti on for a very limited time frame without too much incident. As long as it wasn't operated in the long time. A couple of rides maybe wouldn't cause any serious trouble if lubrication were the cause of the problem.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, that's the more recent one as far as I know. I don't know if there is any different updated info about the situation, but that's the one i'm also inclined to assume is right since it's the latest info that i'm aware of from Lee.

Seems plausible that they could switch the yeti on for a very limited time frame without too much incident. As long as it wasn't operated in the long time. A couple of rides maybe wouldn't cause any serious trouble if lubrication were the cause of the problem.
It would also line up with @marni1971 saying there would be no need to shut down the attraction to fix the figure.

MerlinTheGoat

It would also line up with @marni1971 saying there would be no need to shut down the attraction to fix the figure.

He said there wouldn't be a need to shut down the attraction, yes. But I'd imagine they would probably still need to remove the yeti animatronic from the mountain to correct what is wrong with it. I wouldn't doubt the ability to perhaps remove the figure overnight. But I would doubt their ability to remove it, take it into the workshop and do whatever needs to be done to it, and then return it and fasten it back in to its position. And probably needing to do some extensive testing on the thing to ensure that it doesn't have any problems. And i'm not denying that the ride could still function without the figure or that there wouldn't be any downtime necessary, but I am saying that people would probably have gotten word if the yeti was going to be fixed. And they'd probably have noticed if it was missing from the ride or whatever.

Unless i'm completely wrong and they DID find a way to repair it overnight without even having to remove the figure at all... Again someone correct me if i'm wrong.

BryceM

I will head to AK tomorrow to see if there is any truth to this. I will try and record some video in the off chance it is working.
They probably just got tricked by the strobe lights, like I first did. I had no clue the Yeti was broken, until I joined the online theme park world, and then I realized. I swore that even after it officially stopped working, it still worked, due to the strobe lights. So I guess that they serve their purpose...

MerlinTheGoat

Someone posted in the Everest effects watch thread that they rode it today and the yeti was working. They said strobe wasn't on and it had full show lighting, and that the yeti reached down at them and took them by surprise because they were expecting disco yeti.

Still very skeptical about this because of obvious prank related reasons. We'll see. This could very well be some kind of a trolling, but nothing about that user's posting history (however short) has indicated they're a troll.

luv

There was no, "I thought I saw the Yeti move", when it was in A mode. The only way you missed the Yeti was if you had your eyes closed...

The Yeti may have actually MOVED, but there is no way it has been truly FIXED!!
I don't really remember the Yeti when it moved. I know there was leaning and an arm, but I can't really see It in my mind now.

I do remember that it wasn't an, "I think it might have moved" thing. When it moved, we knew! :)

MerlinTheGoat

I doubt you'd be able to mix up A mode and B mode. I've sadly never ridden it in full A mode, but I have seen and learned enough about it to know that it wouldn't be easy to mistake movement. Especially as A mode has full show lighting apparently and no strobe light.

And while i've again never ridden it in A mode, unless I had my eyes closed, I doubt i'd miss a massive beast lunging at me and trying to grab me if it was lit properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom