Trip Report COMPLETED: Yes, we're a little crazy! Our trip to the 20th Annual Beer and Heat Festival

This is the fastest I've ever finished a trip report! (ETA: but the slowest I've actually posted it, oops!) Part of that is due to the fact that this trip was only three nights when past trips have been five-plus nights. Here is the PTR: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...wedding-anniversary-halloween-getaway.905768/

Again I have written the entire thing (though I am still working on my final thoughts) and will post in smaller installments over the next however many days (ETA: or...months...).

The Cast

Me (Bee)
Opera singer

DW (M)
Writer

Us
Married since October 2014
Grew up in Florida, now live just outside of NYC
Favorite park: Epcot

The Plans

Flights: Delta
Hotels: All-Star Sports (1 night), WDW Dolphin (2 nights)
Tickets: APs
ADRs: None...or are there??
FPs: Soarin', SSE, Mission: Space, Nemo, 7DMT, HM, Pirates

Prelude

On Tuesday evening I noticed a scratchy feeling in my throat. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm actually getting sick or if I am just tired; I had had a pretty intense lesson with my teacher that morning and had taught five of my own students in the afternoon so I figured I was just vocally tired from overuse and would feel better in the morning. As a precaution I took Vitamin C and drank plenty of fluids, but let's be real, I'm an opera singer and I am never not drinking plenty of fluids.

Alas, I woke up Wednesday with more scratchiness. I kept drinking water and took some acetaminophen which helped relieve some of the pain. I went to Target to get some last minute things for the trip like apples for the room and some cough drops since it seemed like I would end up sick. I still had to teach but my boss texted me and two of my students were out and I only ended up teaching for an hour! I got to go home at 6:00 and M and I finished most of the packing.

Next up: Travel day. Will I wake up sick or will it turn out to be just tiredness?

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
I'm hoping it was just tiredness! :)
I was toooooo!!

Thanks for your patience, everyone. We were without Internet for a couple days because our old provider was bought by another company and stopped working at midnight on Friday. I was using my phone tethering in the meantime, but now we have real home Internet like the responsible adults we are!

I should also add the usual disclaimer that these are all cell phone pics, blah blah blah.

Day 1: Thursday, October 29 (Anniversary)

Thursday I woke up feeling kind of miserable. My throat was super swollen and swallowing was painful. I took a very hot shower to relieve some of the congestion that was starting to creep in and drank lots of water and some tea. Luckily I was off work, the apartment was mostly clean, and we had nearly finished packing so there wasn't much for me to do. I washed the few dishes that were left in the sink, packed the last-minute things we needed to bring, and had time for a nap! I'm not normally a napper as it's hard for me to fall asleep during the day but my body must have really needed it because I slept HARD.

22760345101_eb6e61db24_k.jpg

My phone's countdown app indicating that vacation had begun! And the pregnancy thing is just an ad! No one in this TR is pregnant!!!

Around 4:00 I checked that everything was unplugged, left a note for the landlady reminding her we'd be gone for the weekend, and walked across the street to catch the bus into the city. Traffic was lighter than I expected and I arrived at Port Authority earlier than I had anticipated. I took the subway to the university where M works and together we headed to LaGuardia. While we were on the way I got the text that our room at All-Star Sports was ready! Score!

22761614071_e86cedb76c_k.jpg

Room ready!

Soon we were arriving at the Delta terminal. We had already printed boarding passes and weren't checking any bags so we breezed through security and began searching for something to eat. The C and D terminals at LGA have recently been renovated to include better dining options and most restaurants have iPads at the tables where you can order without ever speaking to a human being! We decided to split a veggie burger and fries before heading to our gate.

22561117780_185a7738c6_k.jpg

Dinner

After some delays at the gate it was finally time to board. I have to say I much prefer the boarding process of Southwest Airlines where each passenger is assigned a group and number and lines up in order to board, as opposed to most airlines which just group passengers into a few zones. Since we were on a full flight and most people were in the last zone everyone pushed and shoved in hopes of getting a better space in the carryon compartment.

22128788173_d2efc264b4_k.jpg

Impatient feets

We weren't even all on the plane at the scheduled takeoff time of 7:50. I also prefer not to fly in the evening since delays get more and more likely as the day goes on, but because of work schedules this was the earliest we could do. The plane finally started moving away from the gate around 8:15 and we were in the air at 8:32.

22129305493_06e4ed8251_k.jpg

LIES

22760106281_685a83e3dc_k.jpg

22749508565_619dffcac1_k.jpg

Finally in the air! Hello, George Washington Bridge and Alexander Hamilton Bridge!

On the plane M and I shared a dark chocolate bar with sea salt that I'd bought in the airport, and wow was it delicious! During the flight we amused ourselves by looking at photos of past trips on my phone and playing games on my iPad.

22750484565_d219fa78ca_k.jpg

Good ol' Cibo Express

22761783091_45d4610bcb_k.jpg

Halfway there!

22128246943_12dbefc98d_k.jpg

Delta cookies

At some point another passenger must have peeled an orange because we started smelling it and M asked, "Are we on Soarin'?" It was super funny to me at the time. We finally landed about 11:30 and I guess that veggie burger wasn't enough because we were starving. Of course nothing was open in MCO and we knew the resort food court would be closed by the time we got there so we decided we would order a pizza as soon as we got to the room.

22562553850_e0aa4d1d75_k.jpg

Descending!

Next up: Magical Express ride!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

We made our way to the DME area and our bus was already waiting when we got there.

22723301046_c7fa5ed0ed_k.jpg

Oh yeah...a deflated water bottle I left out last time.

22127661364_93441f7773_k.jpg

Almost there!!

22127999243_2fb543a868_k.jpg

Well hello, Norm Lewis!

22724319056_5b65b1e946_k.jpg

The walk was taking longer than I remembered...

22126287364_b5e18c5e90_k.jpg

Hello, bus!!!!

We probably waited about ten minutes before pulling out and heading to our favorite place! On the way a little kid who was watching the DME video kept saying, "I like it! I like it! Mommy, I like it! I like it!" I had to agree!

22748898655_64bc2e772d_k.jpg

Almost to THE SIGN...

22561974660_a3cf1edcb1_k.jpg

THE SIGN!!!!!!

Our bus stopped at Coronado Springs first and we waved hello to the resort we enjoyed on our last trip. All-Star Sports was next and we were the only passengers to exit the bus. We walked through the lobby and saw some Halloween decorations as well as a busload of costumed passengers who must have just returned from MNSSHP.

22129632123_ee680ef235_k.jpg

Halloween!!

Once in the room I took the obligatory room photo and ordered a pizza. Side note: When I pushed the pizza button on the phone I was greeted with a message about the weather for the next few days. I thought maybe I had pressed the wrong button so I tried again but I got the weather message again. So I had to call the front desk and ask to be connected to the pizza service. Not a big deal but I wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

22723508946_d1d513001c_k.jpg

Almost there! (Ok silly side note, I saw that the room text said Home Run Hotel. But we couldn't find any signs to point us in that direction [The next morning we saw them very clearly, of course]. So we were left looking at the theming of the buildings to figure out which was ours. I legit had to ask M what sport has home runs. Yes, I was THAT tired.)

22127816794_367b2899aa_k.jpg

Our room for the night

While we waited for the pizza we took showers. I put on my Mickey and Minnie pajama pants and set up my personal humidifier that M was thoughtful and smart enough to suggest I bring since I was sick. Just as she was finishing her shower the pizza arrived! It was no New York pizza but it was just what we needed after a long day of travel. After we ate and brushed our teeth we fell asleep in the World on our one year wedding anniversary. (Yeah, yeah, it was past midnight, but it still counts!)

22723357526_5dec434669_k.jpg

Personal humidifier

22724461396_8ba2c83765_k.jpg

Minnie pajamas!

22561411480_39057c79c9_k.jpg

22127667114_c3b31eb3af_k.jpg

The pizza finally arrives!

Next up: We switch resorts and finally go back to our favorite park!

Last edited:

Lyear

I might just be hungry, but that pizza looks pretty good. Better than what I expected room service pizza to look like. I hope your sickness didn't affect you your whole trip.

bee

Original Poster
LOL Yep, but I had to ask - couldn't resist! :hilarious:
:p:D:hilarious:

I was thinking that exact same thing!! I had to scroll back a few times to decide it really was just an ad!!

@b33b33 Great start to your report! Can't wait to read more!
Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it!

Sounds good so far! I so wish I could see the pictures, but they aren't coming up at my work. :(
Sorry to hear that; hopefully they will work if you get to read later!

I might just be hungry, but that pizza looks pretty good. Better than what I expected room service pizza to look like. I hope your sickness didn't affect you your whole trip.
It was better than we expected too! And considering it was the only choice we had after midnight it was pretty amazing!

bee

Original Poster
Day 2: Friday, October 30

We had decided in advance to make this a sleep in day. I set my alarm for 10:00 but we woke up on our own around 9:00 and started getting ready to check out and transfer to our next hotel. We reheated the rest of the pizza with a hairdryer (don't judge! It works!) and packed up the things we had used the night before.

22735568762_4235e4e26d_k.jpg

It worked!

On the way to the lobby we stopped at the food court for some coffee and requested an Uber pickup outside the main entrance. The ride to the Dolphin was less than ten minutes and cost less than $6. It was definitely better than waiting for a Hollywood Studios bus and walking to the Dolphin from there.

22562427690_8907fd97d4_k.jpg

Look at this hidden Mickey by the coffee!!!!111111

22561118230_c899a28428_k.jpg

I see you, Swan!

When we exited the car we entered the Dolphin and were greeted by the gorgeous lobby. A very personable staff member (they're not Cast Members at the Dolphin, right?) named Harold checked us in and we were delighted to learn that our room was ready even though it was before 11:00am!

22761085861_dc545728e4_k.jpg

Lobby...although now that I'm looking at this photo again I'm not sure what's with those hanging drapey-things. Anyone know?

22735331282_49f533880a_k.jpg

Lobby chandeliers

Our room was enormous. I'm pretty sure our entire apartment is only marginally larger than this room. Opening the drapes revealed a lovely view of...some kind of work or delivery area. But we could also see a bit of the Yacht Club and, as we later realized, the very top of the Contemporary Resort.

22723784356_ed925c8f3f_k.jpg

The room

22760332621_932cc5a3a7_k.jpg

Enormous desk/dresser/entertainment center combo

22736868282_f54096edcb_k.jpg

Sink

22760272121_9ce9be9489_k.jpg

Shower

22129186633_43e5e00452_k.jpg

Beverage area

22761687871_473c1b0b8f_k.jpg

22561469640_4ea55de715_k.jpg

A backstage view of Disney is better than an onstage view of most other places, right?

After setting down our things we went downstairs to take a pleasant walk to Epcot. Apparently everyone else staying around Crescent Lake had the same idea we had to enter the park right when World Showcase (and therefore the Food and Wine booths) opened at 11, because the bag check and admission area was more backed up than I've ever seen at the International Gateway. Still, the CMs kept the lines moving and it wasn't long before we were inside our favorite park!

22126249214_a42ff4a755_k.jpg

The hallway...we're on our way!

22761100031_7bc7483675_k.jpg

Still on our way...

22127751453_7cc0dbfc4e_k.jpg

Here we are!!!

Next up: Booths, beer, and...bugs?

bee

Original Poster
Day 2, cont.

Our first booth of the trip was Brazil, where we tried the Pão de queijo (cheese bread). The texture was a little slimy, but it was tasty and was a solid first F&W purchase.

22749782905_86456891f2_k.jpg

The next stop was Belgium and we ordered every single thing from the booth except for the savory waffle which comes with meat. We had enjoyed both sweet waffles (chocolate and berry) in 2013 and they were still delicious this year! We also tried the beer flight which consisted of Hoegaarden, Leffe Blonde, Palm Spéciale Belge Amber Ale, and Stella Artois Cidre. If I recall correctly my favorite was the Leffe while M's were the Hoegaarden and the Stella cider.

22724586446_708ec21c7f_k.jpg

I wish this were my breakfast every day! (Not really, I can't really do sweet breakfast)

22749498185_8440dc868b_k.jpg

We were SO excited to be enjoying this view from the Belgium area!!

After our waffles and beer we were already pretty full so we decided to skip the next few booths we saw and went instead to the Chase Lounge in the America pavilion. I enjoyed a Vitamin Water from the fancy Coke machine and we took in the views of World Showcase. This was the first time on the trip where we noticed that the air conditioning inside was really not an adequate match for the heat outside. It may have been the end of October but it was still quite hot and humid outside. This was also our first experience on the trip with bugs as M noticed an ant crawling on her purse. Oh, Florida! The things we do not miss about you!!

22127714414_f2e7e0e10c_k.jpg

22735806442_4a40262b57_k.jpg

Chase Lounge

22736919102_3437034430_k.jpg

Vitamin Water

22128022183_17c97fc04a_k.jpg

View from the lounge

22750403105_bbebf37be5_k.jpg

ANT!!! :mad:

After our little rest in the lounge it was time for more beer! We stopped at Brewer's Collection by Germany for their flight, which included Radeberger Pilsner, Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen, BraufactuM Progusta IPA, and Schöfferhofer Zitrone Weizen-Mix. M's favorite was the IPA; I liked the Pilsner best and the IPA was okay but I didn't care for the other two. Neither of us liked the Zitrone Mix. M really likes the grapefruit mix from Schöfferhofer but I don't think the lemonade flavor meshed as well with the beer in this particular mix.

22724305366_f26bed41d4_k.jpg

Das Bier!!

22561165760_486c867bda_k.jpg

Some flowers near Germany

We had some FastPasses in Future World so we headed that way. Our first stop was Mission: Space, where we selected Green Team training. We were the only ones in our row and in fact the only ones in our half of the briefing room. I ended up as the Commander and Engineer and M was the Pilot and Navigator. We pressed all of our buttons at the right times and made it to Mars!

22126265164_6397e456c3_k.jpg

U ok, wait times sign??

22723879646_ef9393d64e_k.jpg

We were NOT about to do Orange Team after beer and waffles!!

22735339122_c848564eaa_k.jpg

Empty rows

22761007771_ce2f3474b5_k.jpg

Row 10! If anyone is wondering, the feet in magenta belong to me and the feet in aqua belong to M.

Next we walked over to The Land for our Soarin' FastPass. We noticed that each day we were here the CMs were doing a great job directing traffic so people would actually walk the right way (counterclockwise) around the second floor and walk up and down the correct staircases. It seems there is always confusion and people always end up going the wrong way and being in everyone else's way. But I really appreciated that there were keeping everyone moving the right way!

I am excited for the Soarin' updates coming next year, though it means I'll be trying to get a FP every time I go to Epcot between now and then so I get in plenty of rides before it closes. Some guests in our row seemed to be having seatbelt issues because they had to get a CM to help them. M told me that the kayak scene reminded her of the video of that guy who keeps saying, "Saraaaaaah, help me!" after his kayak gets flipped over. We both couldn't stop laughing throughout the ride.

For your viewing pleasure

After our flight over California we rode the Vegetable Boat Ride. There was a party of four adults in front of us in line and the CM directed them into two separate rows. They said they all wanted to sit together even though she explained that the rows are a bit small for four people; they insisted so she sent them to one row. Then when they got there they realized the CM was right but it was too late, and one of them crammed into the row with M and me without even asking. I don't like to complain about small things and it's not like they ruined the ride or anything but do you really have to be so annoying?? Anyway, we still loved the ride as always!

22724589926_4e1cdf66ba_k.jpg

It must be Autumn!

We had a FP for Spaceship Earth but neither of us was feeling it, and we were getting hungry again so we decided to hit up the booths again. On our way to the two Chew booths we saw a mouse run across the sidewalk! I've seen plenty of squirrels and rabbits but never mice (besides Mickey and Minnie of course). It was too quick for me to get a photo, however.

22128398253_a138c245ef_k.jpg

This is just a plant I wanted to get a photo of the mouse but it ran away too quickly into some bushes. Then I almost got one of it in the bushes but a kid scared it away. So I took this plant photo so I'd remember the mouse incident.

Next up: More booths, of course!

bee

Original Poster
Nothing to do but hang around waiting for more TR…

cat-window-waiting.jpg
Sorry, folks! Here I was on a roll posting my TR...and OF COURSE crazy work stuff happens to both M and me! Doesn't that seem to happen to everyone who returns from a trip and is trying to share their TR?? Some small good things, one medium bad thing, and one HUGE good thing have happened in the last couple of weeks regarding our work. Overall it is balancing out to be good...but still crazy nonetheless! I need a break from the madness so I am working on the next installment...and then this Wednesday M and I begin our journey to Florida for Thanksgiving and a one-night trip to Pop Century! Hopefully the photos will cooperate and I will have the next post up soon...

bee

Original Poster
Day 2, cont.

At Sustainable Chew we tried the Ricotta & zucchini ravioli with rustic tomato sauce. It was fresh and tasty and a pretty substantial portion for the price. We also tried the Liquid nitro chocolate almond truffle with warm whiskey caramel and Smoking Hibiscus from Chew Lab. The truffle was super delicious; the Smoking Hibiscus was fun to watch but neither of us liked the taste. It was veeeeeeeeery smoky. We couldn't even finish it because the smokiness was so overwhelming. If you like smoky you'll probably like this, but if you don't you should probably avoid it. Oh well, at least we can say we tried it!

22128274883_fda7aba6e9_k.jpg

Mmmm. Ravioli.

22724483706_19c5c85f76_k.jpg

Chocolate truffle. MMMMmmmMMMMmmmmmm.

Once again, here is my poor attempt at an Aussie accent. And no, Barbara Mönch isn't my real name, although I think it's a pretty cool name!

Our next stop was the Cheese Studio where we tried the palette of three cheeses (Karst cave-aged cheese served with honey, La Bonne Vie goat cheese served with Craisin bread, Rogue Creamery Oregon Blue Cheese with berry port compote) and three wines (Robert Mondavi Fumé Blanc, Still River Winery Apfel Eis, and Sterling Vintner's Collection Cabernet Sauvignon). My favorite cheese was the blue and my favorite wine was the cabernet. M enjoyed the goat cheese and the Fumé Blanc. The apple ice wine was way too sweet for me but M liked it okay. We also shared the cheese fondue, which was good but not great.

22126311174_c68bcabfc7_k.jpg

Cheese/wine palette

22129307813_ad562fa108_k.jpg

Fondue

It was around this time when we found the area of Innoventions at which to get our first Passport stamps so we could get our commemorative port wine glasses. Then we tried the Yucca Soufflé from the Dominican Republic booth. This area was really nicely themed and the soufflé was delightful! The griddled cheese on top really made it.

22127555834_41a84e6215_k.jpg

Yucca! Mmmmmm I could go for some RIGHT. NOW.

Next was the Greece booth, which had the most vegetarian items of any booth that weren't cheese or dessert! We tried all three: the Vegan moussaka with Gardein sausage crumbles, Greek salad in a cone, and Spanakopita. I really liked the moussaka but M didn't care for it. The salad wasn't anything groundbreaking but it was cold and refreshing on a hot day, and the Spanakopita was as good as we remembered it being in 2013.

22736359842_6ceaedfacc_k.jpg

Moussaka. It was totally better than it looks, I swear!!!

22760116381_2e6ccc75d8_k.jpg

Greek salad. Inexplicably served in a cone.

22760255501_5bfef90ddd_k.jpg

Spanakopita. Never lets us down.

It was quite hot by this point so we headed back to the International Gateway to take a walk back to the Dolphin. On the way we enjoyed the views of the Boardwalk area resorts and vowed to stay in at least one of them soon!

22127104174_a6ca3e1c58_k.jpg

On the way to our beautiful resort!

22127971344_e63c3cf4c2_k.jpg

I guess that's one use for patio furniture!

22561609640_23f8a0bbb7_k.jpg

Aaaaaalmoooooost there! (Yes, Princess Tiana [or Pre-Princess Tiana?] is singing that in my head right now.)

Next up: I surprise my wife with something fun!

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 2, cont.

In the room I took a two-hour nap (again, not a napper! But I must have needed it since I was sick) on what might have been the world's comfiest bed. I've heard people rave about the beds at the Swan and Dolphin and they totally lived up to the hype. When I woke up I decided it was time to tell M what surprise event I had booked.

The big reveal went something like this:

B: I have a secret!

M: *not amused* What is it?

B: Tomorrow... (dramatic pause)

M: ...Yeeeeeeesss?...

B: We have to get up early.

M: *makes displeased face*

B: Because we're going to the...

M: *still not amused* What?

B: Parisian Breakfast!

M: WHAT?? YOU BOOKED IT? WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME???

B: I wanted to surprise you!

M: *does happy dance*

The first time I had called about booking the breakfast it was full, but I tried a few more times and someone must have cancelled because I finally got a spot! I thought about waiting until the morning of to surprise M and telling her we were going to Les Halles for quiches but she doesn't like waking up early on vacation and she would have probably gotten suspicious if I had been so insistent on getting up just to go there.

After I revealed the surprise we headed back to Epcot around 6:00 for more F&W time! The crowds had increased as we expected and we were glad to have eaten at most of the booths in the morning and early afternoon before the crowds really picked up. Near the UK we passed a coffee cart that was serving frozen chai lattes with Bailey's and of course we couldn't resist. This drink was seriously delicious and we would be back for more!

22735820862_8e55f774d6_k.jpg

Mmmmmmm. Wish I were drinking one of these RIGHT NOW. And is that a bug next to my cup???

Our next stop was Scotland for some beer and Scotch. I had read great reviews of the two beers offered so we ordered both, and we got the Scotch flight as well since I'm pretty sure neither of us had ever tried Scotch. I didn't hate the Scotch but it didn't make me want to go buy a bottle. I did like the beers; the Innis & Gunn Cask Oak Aged Beer ended up being one of my favorite beers of the entire festival and M really liked the Brew Dog Punk Ale.

22750460675_c65b553628_k.jpg

Beer and Scotch

Feeling nicely buzzed we headed to Mexico to try the corn cheesecake. I was skeptical at first because I'm picky about sweet things that involve corn but this became a favorite item for both of us. We devoured it before I could even take a photo. Oops.

22735771612_b08eb8093a_k.jpg

Oops!

22761641151_2973e59762_k.jpg

Sunset over Swolphin!

The next item we HAD TO TRY before the evening ended was the Vegan Korean barbeque. On the way we noticed that the Frozen area construction is really coming along. I've already said what I think about Frozen coming to World Showcase and Epcot and I know plenty of people feel about the same way I do so all I will say is that I can only hope this will bring positive attention to the park from the powers that be and that the queue for the Frozen stuff won't make this area of WS into a giant bottleneck.

22760325541_85c718eed6_k.jpg

Will this be amazing? Will this be terrible? Only time will tell!!

Anyway, on to South Korea! The barbeque was flavorful but nothing special. I appreciated that it had some spice to it, but I remember liking the vegan items from Terra in 2013 better than this. This was the first long line we encountered and in my weakness I ordered the Soju banana milkshake featuring The Ginger People Ginger Soother. I'm not sure why since bananas are one of the few fruits I don't like. Luckily for me I tasted the ginger way more than I tasted the banana. Was there even alcohol in this? We'll never truly know.

22127562164_ad47fb7599_k.jpg

At least it took us this long to experience such a line, I guess...

22561146380_7fd0d9741b_k.jpg

Vegan Korean Barbecue

22561997620_1dd060da15_k.jpg

The funny banana milkshake. @Tony the Tigger do I recall correctly that you're the one who loved this thing? I didn't mind it but DW remarked that it tasted like bathroom cleaner. When exactly she's been tasting bathroom cleaner I'm not sure...

Next up: We end the night with some beer!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom