Yay!!...an unexpected December trip with my mom and my 4yo

Hi all! It's been awhile since I've posted, but when I got the opportunity to return to the World in December, I just had to share with everyone.

Who: Me(Amy), my mom, and my 4yo son, Owen.
Here we all are on our trip last October.
IMG_1140.jpg

Unfortunately, we can't all go this year, but the three of us are going to have a blast!

When: Sunday, December 9-Friday, December 14, 2012

Where: CBR pirate room

Story: After our trip last October, Brian and I decided that we would save up and make our next trip to Disneyland, possibly in June 2013. Then, the Best Buy that he worked for closed and he was out of a job starting this June. He got a nice severance package, but still couldn't justify any extravagant vacations while he wasn't working. When the room only discounts came out for November-December, we thought about the two of us making a quick trip down for our 14th anniversary. Then he was offered a job. Good news in general, but bad in the fact that he won't have any vacation time for awhile. So long December trip.:( When I saw that the room only discounts had been extended, I was daydreaming out loud about how cool it would be if I took our youngest to WDW for our own little vacation. Surprisingly, Brian thought it would be a good idea for him to get a little extra time with me! As much as I wanted to jump right on it, I first had to clear it with my two oldest. I was surprised how well they responded. My 9yo was so mature about it! He explained to me (instead of the other way around) that he and Lily had been twice and Owen had only been once, so it was only fair that he got to go again. Imagine my shock!! Lily wasn't quite so easy, and I had to promise her a trip to an American Girl Doll store, but she's okay with it now. Of course, both are composing a shopping list for me while we are there!

Transportation: Originally, I was planning on driving from Dayton, OH to Florida :eek:, but when my mom decided to come along, she refused to drive, so we now have AirTran tickets! We are going to try only taking carry-ons and not checking any bags. We'll see how the packing goes as we get closer to time. I'm not sure how we will handle 3 carry-ons, our personal bags, and a stroller at MCO, but we are going to try!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures of Owen from our trip last year:
IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

Photo0263FourBySix.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

And here he is the day after our trip last year, enjoying his Mickey crocs and his pirate ears.
IMG_1971.jpg

OswaldTheRabbit

I just had to post because I have an almost 4 yr old Owen! And he was buzz last year for Halloween! Have a great time. It will be so nice to get some alone time with him. The little ones always get dragged along with the older kids and their activities!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I just had to post because I have an almost 4 yr old Owen! And he was buzz last year for Halloween! Have a great time. It will be so nice to get some alone time with him. The little ones always get dragged along with the older kids and their activities!

Thanks so much for reading! How funny that we both have Owens that were Buzz last year! I do feel badly about all the soccer, basketball, football games, etc. that he has to go to. It's a little better this year because he is old enough to start playing himself. He played soccer this fall, and he is signed up for basketball this winter. It will be so nice to have a week at WDW to just do what he wants!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
On to the itinerary:
Sunday, Dec. 9: We don't land in Orlando until 1:37pm, so we are not going to rush and try to make it to a park the first day. I plan to let Owen explore around the resort a little, and then we are going to Downtown Disney for dinner at T-Rex. Owen is really into pirates and dinosaurs right now, so I figured we could cover both on our first day!

Monday, Dec. 10: We will be going to DHS this day. The most important thing on our agenda this day is to get Owen into a Jedi Training Academy session. He was not old enough last year, and was so disappointed that he couldn't do it. We have lunch reservations at Sci-Fi Dine-In and I plan on trying a cupcake at Starring Rolls. I am very excited that I will be able to sneak in a ride or two on my most favorite ride in the world, TOT. I was resigned to the fact that I wouldn't get to ride it when I thought it would be only me and Owen, but now that my mom is going, I'll be able to ride! I am also looking forward to seeing the Osborne lights for the first time ever.

Tuesday, Dec. 11: We are planning to spend the day at Epcot. We have lunch reservations at Via Napoli to try the pizza. No other set plans this day other than to check out the new Test Track.

Wednesday, Dec. 12: This is our MK day. We plan to try Be Our Guest for lunch, and take in the new Fantasyland of course! Otherwise, we will just do whatever Owen wants and try to stay all day and see MSEP and Wishes.

Thursday, Dec. 13: AK this day. Owen is really into going to zoos to see the animals, so he will really enjoy this day. He loved KS last year, so we definitely plan to fit that in. I'm going to sneak a ride in on EE as well! Can't wait to see the Jingle Jungle Parade again. I think Owen will really enjoy this as well. Hopefully we will get to AKL in the evening to see their Christmas decorations.

Friday, Dec. 14: Our flight leaves at 3:05pm, so we will have to get on ME around noon, which means we really don't have time for a park. I hope to check out the monorail resorts and their Christmas decorations before leaving.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I still haven't told Owen that he is going!! I'm hoping that the other two can keep quiet until I tell him. I'm still debating how to tell him. I think I am going to have him go on a treasure hunt. I have a small wooden treasure chest that I will put at the end of the hunt with a pirate Mickey beanie that I got on ebay and a Captain Hook and TickTock beanie I found. Along the way I think I'll have him find a bag of "gold" coins, a bag of "jewels", a bag of beaded necklaces, etc. Any suggestions would be great!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Cannot wait to read the report once you return. Owen is adorable and I'm sure he will love the pirate room, so fun!

Thanks for reading. I plan on writing a TR when we return, just not sure how quick it will get done with Christmas so soon after the trip! I can't wait to see his face when he walks into the pirate room.

harveyt0206

Well hello there fellow Buckeye! (Columbus for me). A surprise, unexpected trip is the best. Your trip sounds amazing. I'm secretly jealous. :). Your older kids sound like wonderful brothers and sisters. Had my mom told me she was taking just my brother when we were that age, I probably would have had a nuclear style melt down.

Looking forward to reading your trip report. Have a great trip.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Awesome love your pics....can't wait to read more!
75.gif

Thank you so much for reading. I plan to post pics from when I tell Owen about the trip, then probably not much until the TR!

Well hello there fellow Buckeye! (Columbus for me). A surprise, unexpected trip is the best. Your trip sounds amazing. I'm secretly jealous. :). Your older kids sound like wonderful brothers and sisters. Had my mom told me she was taking just my brother when we were that age, I probably would have had a nuclear style melt down.

Looking forward to reading your trip report. Have a great trip.

We'll see how wonderful they are the day we leave!! I have bought surprises for them to open that day, but we'll see what happens! I'm sure we'll have a great trip.

soarin

Hi all! It's been awhile since I've posted, but when I got the opportunity to return to the World in December, I just had to share with everyone.

Who: Me(Amy), my mom, and my 4yo son, Owen.
Here we all are on our trip last October.
IMG_1140.jpg

Unfortunately, we can't all go this year, but the three of us are going to have a blast!

When: Sunday, December 9-Friday, December 14, 2012

Where: CBR pirate room

Story: After our trip last October, Brian and I decided that we would save up and make our next trip to Disneyland, possibly in June 2013. Then, the Best Buy that he worked for closed and he was out of a job starting this June. He got a nice severance package, but still couldn't justify any extravagant vacations while he wasn't working. When the room only discounts came out for November-December, we thought about the two of us making a quick trip down for our 14th anniversary. Then he was offered a job. Good news in general, but bad in the fact that he won't have any vacation time for awhile. So long December trip.:( When I saw that the room only discounts had been extended, I was daydreaming out loud about how cool it would be if I took our youngest to WDW for our own little vacation. Surprisingly, Brian thought it would be a good idea for him to get a little extra time with me! As much as I wanted to jump right on it, I first had to clear it with my two oldest. I was surprised how well they responded. My 9yo was so mature about it! He explained to me (instead of the other way around) that he and Lily had been twice and Owen had only been once, so it was only fair that he got to go again. Imagine my shock!! Lily wasn't quite so easy, and I had to promise her a trip to an American Girl Doll store, but she's okay with it now. Of course, both are composing a shopping list for me while we are there!

Transportation: Originally, I was planning on driving from Dayton, OH to Florida :eek:, but when my mom decided to come along, she refused to drive, so we now have AirTran tickets! We are going to try only taking carry-ons and not checking any bags. We'll see how the packing goes as we get closer to time. I'm not sure how we will handle 3 carry-ons, our personal bags, and a stroller at MCO, but we are going to try!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures of Owen from our trip last year:
IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

Photo0263FourBySix.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

And here he is the day after our trip last year, enjoying his Mickey crocs and his pirate ears.
IMG_1971.jpg
I am from Dayton also. Have fun, that sounds like such a great bonding time. I would love to go on a trip with just one of my kids some day.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I am from Dayton also. Have fun, that sounds like such a great bonding time. I would love to go on a trip with just one of my kids some day.

Thanks for reading! I am so looking forward to the quality time we will have. I feel like he gets the raw end of the deal a lot of times with all of the activities that the other two are in. I'm hoping this will make up for some of that!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
45 days! I am so excited!!
Got these bad boys in the mail today:
IMG_3023.jpg

Now my type A personality has kicked in and I will be worried about these working right up until the moment we are passing through the turnstiles.

I have almost everything ready to tell Owen that he is going. I just haven't decided how much longer to wait. My husband and two older kids are working on a treasure map for him to follow. These are what he will find along the way:
IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

Obviously, all of the items beside the bags are not going to fit into one little bag. They will be divided three ways, so the older two can participate in the treasure hunt as well.
These are what he will find at the end:
IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

Along with this note:
IMG_3015.jpg

I also finished his autograph book:
IMG_3016-1.jpg

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I was able to get a breakfast ADR for Chef Mickey's on our last day, which means I had to cancel the O'hana ADR. I would much prefer O'hana, but this trip happens to be about Owen and not me! He was so excited when he saw the characters at Chef Mickey's last year. He was calling across the room to Donald. It was so cute!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
36 Days!!!! I got the Magical Express packet in the mail today. I'm getting so excited! I'm still trying to decide when to tell Owen that we are going. I can't believe one of the other two hasn't spilled the beans yet.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
30 days!! I'm getting so excited. I think I am going to wait until Thanksgiving weekend to tell Owen about the trip. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes and hopefully have some good pictures! I called yesterday to add Owen's birthday celebration to our reservation. It isn't until January, but it will be fun to celebrate while we are there.

PolynesianPrincess

How exciting!!! Owen is going to have such an awesome time!!!!! :) And lucky you will get ride Tower and EE!! lol

The treasure hunt is such a great idea!! Can't wait to hear about his reaction when he finds out where ya'll are going!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom