WWOHP Tips

JillC LI

Original Poster
We will be visiting Universal on a weekday in mid-December for the first time since the WWOHP opened. DD and I are huge HP fans. DH and DS are not but want to try the FJ ride. We will have Express Passes and early entry for staying on property so we plan to arrive before the 8am opening. I've heard that it is best to go straight to Ollivanders, even before FJ, because the line for the wand show can get even longer than the FJ given the small size of the store. I know that DD and I want to check out all the shops, so I figure we'll do FJ with DH and DS then ditch them and go to the shops and also Flight of the Hippogryph (we're both too chicken for the Dragon Challenge). Does anyone have any other touring tips for that area of the park for hard-core HP fans?
Thanks!
:)

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Premium Member
Hey there. I did some major reading on this last year before our trip. The stop at Ollivanders first was reccomended as well. I can tell you this with the early entry we were able to hit FJ FIRST and then get into Olivanders relatively quickly. My daughter (the biggest HP fan in our family with me being a close second) got chosen for the wand ceremony!

Two quick tips...

1.At park opening On your way to WWHOP Take the shortcut by green eggs and ham restaurants. I gave this tip to someone else a while back and the secret may be out because she told me EVERYONE went that way.

2.If you're bringing a backpack or purse with you you'll need to store it away before getting on FJ. they have the free fingerprint locker get there and get your bags stowed ASAP and head for the ride. FYI There should be signs designating the locker area.

That's all I can remember for now. If I think of something else I will chime in.

Another quick tip...>Get the frozen version of the butterbeer ( a step above the regular version) and get the commerative cup as well which gives you discounts on other fountain beverages.

Have fun!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, FJ waits are not really huge.. only if there are breakdowns is it a huge deal.

The biggest thing is to know where you are going. Know you can walk up to the locker area directly (the queue may direct you off to the left at the entrance). Just say you are riding single rider, walk up to the locker area, put your stuff in the lockers.. and get in single rider if you are going to. Understanding the lockers ahead of time will cut frustration too.

But FJ has such a huge capacity, it's waits are reasonable even in the full length queue.

Olivanders tho has no such relief.. it's lines only get longer through the day. That's why people say wait on FJ.

wiigirl

I'd say do the exact opposite.:p

But at mid-December the park should be deserted for the most part. I wouldn't worry much about crowds.

This...I don't like the frozen version myself, but to each their own. :p
75.gif

HTF

Ollivanders first then the FJ. Ollivanders can handle a few hundred per hour at best while the FJ can handle thousands.

NutsForFlorida

Even after a year and a half, the HP area is still crazy busy??? You'd think it would have died down by now. We're planning on going to Universal the 2nd week of May next year. How are the week days during this time?

AmongMadPeople

Even after a year and a half, the HP area is still crazy busy??? You'd think it would have died down by now. We're planning on going to Universal the 2nd week of May next year. How are the week days during this time?

We went on a Sunday in early May this year and crowds were low. In the afternoon, FJ's wait was only the time it took to walk to the loading area. Wasn't there in the morning to see how it was, but the afternoon was great.

HTF

This is why people in the know shake their heads when people cry its too much Potter. As for crowds don't let any previous experience sway your preparation. Plan for the worst in May due to numerous on going projects. The buzz is getting ready to hit an all time high at Universal Orlando and 2013 should prove to be another record year.

JillC LI

Original Poster
These are all great tips. I really appreciate it. Butterbeer doesn't really appeal to me but DD can't wait to try the frozen version. Anyone have any thoughts about eating lunch at the Three Broomsticks vs Mythos which gets really good reviews or elsewhere in the parks?

Oh and one more thing. I'm OK on Spiderman, for example, or RnRC at Disney, but I will never ride E:E again nor will I ever try Hulk or Dragon Challenge. But I'm dying to experience FJ so I'm going to overcome my fear. If I'm OK on Spiderman and RnRC, do you think I'll be OK on FJ nausea and fear-wise?

TalkingHead

These are all great tips. I really appreciate it. Butterbeer doesn't really appeal to me but DD can't wait to try the frozen version. Anyone have any thoughts about eating lunch at the Three Broomsticks vs Mythos which gets really good reviews or elsewhere in the parks?

Oh and one more thing. I'm OK on Spiderman, for example, or RnRC at Disney, but I will never ride E:E again nor will I ever try Hulk or Dragon Challenge. But I'm dying to experience FJ so I'm going to overcome my fear. If I'm OK on Spiderman and RnRC, do you think I'll be OK on FJ nausea and fear-wise?

You should be fine on FJ. RnRC is much more intense. It's closer to Spider-man in terms of intensity, although the FJ vehicles have more movement. Still, it's not a scary ride by any means. It's not a high-speed coaster with massive drops (which the rides you don't like have in common). And it is, conservatively, one of the top five rides in Orlando, so well worth experiencing.

GLaDOS

Mythos and Three Broomsticks are both very good, but both offer different experiences. Three Broomsticks is a counterservice, though a very good one. Mythos is one of my favorite sit downs in a park. It's not overly gourmet, but it's a very good meal at a fraction of what Disney charges for sit down meals.

As for FJ, you need to give it a go. It's not the most thrilling attraction in the world, but motion sickness could be a small issue. But it's worth it. The attraction is amazing.

HTF

Not sure of your group type but the Three Broomsticks is more family friendly and a little easier on the wallet. Both restaurants though are the best in park eats you will find outside of the Zambia Smokehouse at Busch Gardens Tampa and the World Showcase in Epcot.

Frozen is the better of the two

Outside of Spiderman the FJ is the most innovative ride in the past two decades. It's a must ride and something you will be in awe struck wonder of how it was done.

beast32

Just to sum up what others have said, personally I like the frozen butterbeer but I believe you should try both while there :) I would try to go to Ollivander's first because it is much more entertaining to wait in line for the Forbidden Journey as there are many props and things to look at! We went straight to Ollivander's when we had ealy park entrance, and were part of the first group to go in. We went to the Forbidden Journey next and when we got out 30-40 minutes later the wait for Ollivander's was an hour long! Hope this helped!

gboiler1

The only caveats about FJ, and by the way I don't do roller coasters, is that a couple times your feet are actually a bit higher than your head in the seated position and there is a lot of up and down on the ride arm, but a great ride.
We also had success at closing time for FJ. We got in line about 20 minutes till close, rode and looped back around for another ride right at closing and had no problem.
A way to avoid the lockers altogether is wearing cargo shorts or pants and store your stuff in the pockets. I never carry bags in the parks anymore.
Mid December during the week should be easy...we went in March around Spring Break and managed fine in the morning or late in the day.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone. I've been so focused on the Disney aspect of our trip, but I really want our one day at US/IoA, particularly the WWOHP, to be special as well.

With 2 kids, I really need to have a small backpack with me when I'm in the parks, so I'll have to deal with the lockers, but hopefully, as many have said, there won't be much of a delay early in the morning that time of year.

One more question: we have to leave the park, drive in our rental car to Disney, check in at CBR, and get to a 7:55pm reservation at the California Grill. What time do you recommend I leave US/IoA to make our dinner reservation? I'm thinking 6:15pm at the latest?

BryceM

The most important thing is to enjoy the rest of Islands of Adventure along with WWoHP! Islands of Adventure is a beautiful and stunningly themed park that is simply one of the best parks out there.

And have fun! You should post a trip report when you're all finished! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom