WWE in WDW?

Matt_Black

Original Poster
So, tonight on Monday Night Raw WWE reminded everyone that 2017's Wrestlemania 33 will take place in Orlando. Now, the question is- will WDW or Uni try to cash in, perhaps try some sort of cross promotion? Certainly, I can imagine some wrestling fans who also like theme parks to try and hit both.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
WWE is frequently featured on USA Network a NBCUniversal company owned by Comcast e.g. Universal. So my money's on Uni. But it could just as easily be in a stadium within Orlando; not affiliated with either theme park resort.

Quite possibly. It should be noted, though, that many WWE Hall of Famers have appeared in Disney films, and both the Rock and Batista have Disney films coming out in the next year.

Even if neither park does anything with the WWE, I imagine that both will see an uptick in business, as fans take their families to the parks that week while waiting for the big show. And I mean 'Mania, not the wrestler the Big Show.

zurzles

WWE isn't owned by Comcast but they've been affiliated with NBC for years now, so UNI would be the place. But WWE already has a presence in Orlando and they haven't taken advantage of many crossover opportunities. The UNI soundstages that TNA has used definitely aren't big enough to accommodate any WWE shows during WM. And the Axxess event is scheduled for the OC Convention Center. I really doubt they'll do anything at UNI, maybe a short promo video at the parks for papa NBC.

joup7

Speaking as a wrestling fan: no there will not be any tie-in. There have been rumors of a WWE physical Hall of Fame going to Uni City Walk for years so that would be the extent I think as to anything. Most of the Wrestlemania weekend events will be at the major arenas in Orlando and smaller venues and bingo halls and convention centers. Many people from around the world will come and the stadium will fill tens of thousands. So my guess is you may see a few more wrestling shirts at both theme parks and perhaps even a wrestler or two (saw Mick Foley at the Halloween party last month) but that's about it. Nobody is contacting Disney or Universal to rent space for events.

The_Jobu

NXT is based out of Full Sail, unfortunately the cross-promotion has been limited to instagrams of upcoming wrestlers visiting the parks.

Didn't WCW actually record out of DHS back in the day, or have my hobbies just become one in my brain?

Cmdr_Crimson

I can see the ads now....Maui takes the Plunge on Splash Mountain...
595.jpg

The_Jobu

How did that dude in the back get so wet without even going down the chute yet?

Also, points to Rocky for wearing his own shirt to DW.

Gelatoni

It's not impossible. WWE is PG rated now. they could film some promos but it's unlikely. universal would get first crack at it IMO. there were rumors of disney buying wwe ages sgo but nothing came of it.

MattM

WWE isn't owned by Comcast but they've been affiliated with NBC for years now, so UNI would be the place. But WWE already has a presence in Orlando and they haven't taken advantage of many crossover opportunities. The UNI soundstages that TNA has used definitely aren't big enough to accommodate any WWE shows during WM. And the Axxess event is scheduled for the OC Convention Center. I really doubt they'll do anything at UNI, maybe a short promo video at the parks for papa NBC.
But Florida Citrus Sports, the "owner" of Camping World Stadium (The Citrus Bowl) is much more closely associated with Disney. This would have more of an effect on any crossover events than USA broadcasting WWE's two television shows. There's no ownership there.

But I doubt either would really do much of anything.

Bairstow

I always liked the time the WWF shot a bunch of segments at Universal Orlando, including on the Jaws ride, culminating in a brawl in and through the queue for Back to the Future.

Didn't the WWF and Disney do a muppets collaboration fairly recently?

images

Matt_Black

Original Poster
I always liked the time the WWF shot a bunch of segments at Universal Orlando, including on the Jaws ride, culminating in a brawl in and through the queue for Back to the Future.

Didn't the WWF and Disney do a muppets collaboration fairly recently?

images

Couple of years ago. And back when the ACA Ice Bucket Challenge was a thing, Vince McMahon was the one who challenged Kermit the Frog, calling him "that pesky amphibian".

NothingRhymeswithOrange

The Muppets have been affiliated with WWE for years now, making several appearances on Raw and some PPVs like Summerslam and Mania. It wouldn't shock me if WWE and Disney did something, but my money would probably be on Universal since NBC has been showing Wrestlemania for the last three or four years two months after the event takes place. Disney would be smart to try and capitalize on the event, since its generally brings about $300 million dollars to the host city on average.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom