wrist bands

loveofamouse

Original Poster
I'm sorry if this has been asked, but I can't find an answer.

When purchasing annual passes, do you get new bands for every trip or just keep your bands from the first trip that you linked your tickets to? Or do you still get a ticket card?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You still get a ticket card. It's RFID-enabled so it will work with FP+ and such.

You currently get a new MB every resort visit you book. Some AP holders are currently getting MBs without resort reservations in a test. I've read that guests in the AP MB testing are receiving a separate card that indicates their AP status for discounts and whether they are eligible for free parking, but I don't understand why they wouldn't just use their actual AP for that... o_O

The ticket and any/all MBs are all linked to your MDE account and can be used interchangeably for entry to and activities in the parks. The only thing I'm not certain how it works is the ability to charge to your resort room, I don't think your AP card can be used that way. You have to show the AP card to receive any shopping or dining discounts, the MB won't work for that.

loveofamouse

Original Poster
hmmm...Would be simpler if th AP bands were just a distinct color or had a gold stripe or something and could just be coded for your room for every resort visit.

So my first bands can be used for subsequent visits where we aren't staying at the resort?

EOD K9

I'm staying in two different resorts on my next stay and have been mailed two sets of bands for this. With all of the technology, you'd think they would see that and just advise us to use the ones we were just issued.

Tip Top Club

hmmm...Would be simpler if th AP bands were just a distinct color or had a gold stripe or something and could just be coded for your room for every resort visit.

So my first bands can be used for subsequent visits where we aren't staying at the resort?

I think there will probably be a different system in the future, but for now there is a discount card for AP holders.

That said, once you link your AP to you band you can continue reusing it as long as the band is functional (which in theory should be around two years). Any subsequent bands you can keep as souvenirs, or you can mix and match colors to match your outfit if you like.

RonAnnArbor

The only thing in your band is a number -- you'll get a new one each time you stay in a resort (I now have 5 of 5 different colors)...unless you deactivate them they all stay active and they ALL get coded to your hotel room number - you can use any of them interchangeably if you want -- again, all they have in them is an ID number -- all other information is stored in your My Disney Experience account.

loveofamouse

Original Poster
so, for example, we are going for a week in April. I can link my AP to these bands. Throughout the summer, I can continue to use the same bands for day trips as my ticket. If I stay at the resort again, I will get a new set of bands that I will have to link to my ticket. My original bands will still work, but, now, the new ones will also access the same ticket. Right?

Becky

I'm sorry if this has been asked, but I can't find an answer.

When purchasing annual passes, do you get new bands for every trip or just keep your bands from the first trip that you linked your tickets to? Or do you still get a ticket card?
The old band will NOT open your room door. Only the band issued for the current trip will. The old bands do work to get into the parks, FP+ etc but again will NOT open your room doors. In January you should have seen the line of people at the front desk who could not get into their rooms as they did not have the new band with them when they came back from a day at the parks. It MAY be possible to have the front desk activate your old band at check in for use in opening your room door.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

The old band will NOT open your room door. .
Are we sure this is true? We had a split stay over Christmas and received two sets of bands, one for each resort, but only used one set the entire time. In fact, we have never even removed the other bands from their box.

lazyboy97o

The old band will NOT open your room door. Only the band issued for the current trip will. The old bands do work to get into the parks, FP+ etc but again will NOT open your room doors. In January you should have seen the line of people at the front desk who could not get into their rooms as they did not have the new band with them when they came back from a day at the parks. It MAY be possible to have the front desk activate your old band at check in for use in opening your room door.
I seem to recall somebody saying that there is something wonky you have to do with the doors to make them work. This was for all MagicBands, not just ones from previous stays.

loveofamouse

Original Poster
it does seem like it would behoove disney to allow you to just "recode" your old band for your new room. I'm mainly wondering, though, if they'll still function as a ticket. We are only 2hrs away so will be able to make day trips here and there. Would be nice to not have to worry too hard about keeping up with all of the tickets in the meantime. I can just put the bands back in the box for next time.

Side question:
I just paid for my AP and got an eCert. I have a trip coming up in April. I want to add these tickets. Can I? Or do I have to wait until I have a physical ticket?

lazyboy97o

it does seem like it would behoove disney to allow you to just "recode" your old band for your new room. I'm mainly wondering, though, if they'll still function as a ticket. We are only 2hrs away so will be able to make day trips here and there. Would be nice to not have to worry too hard about keeping up with all of the tickets in the meantime. I can just put the bands back in the box for next time.

Side question:
I just paid for my AP and got an eCert. I have a trip coming up in April. I want to add these tickets. Can I? Or do I have to wait until I have a physical ticket?
As admission the MagicBands will continue to work, but you'll still need your card for discounts.

Becky

Are we sure this is true? We had a split stay over Christmas and received two sets of bands, one for each resort, but only used one set the entire time. In fact, we have never even removed the other bands from their box.
May have been a glitch that day or you may have been lucky. All I can say is that of eight total Magic Bands (4 each) only the current one would open our door. I will also say that the line at the front desk was well over 50 people with the same problem. It was surely TRUE that day and I will not take the chance it won't happen again. I will always have a current MB with me.

Rob562

May have been a glitch that day or you may have been lucky. All I can say is that of eight total Magic Bands (4 each) only the current one would open our door. I will also say that the line at the front desk was well over 50 people with the same problem. It was surely TRUE that day and I will not take the chance it won't happen again. I will always have a current MB with me.

Most people I've read online have said that they've had no problem interchanging Bands for all aspects (room key, park admission, FP+, etc). Ignoring the first month or so of the Bands' roll-out, I've only read a few that have had problems, yours included.

-Rob

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Hate to disagree but we took 3 old bands with us to POP a couple weeks ago and every one of them worked to open the door. We also took old bands with us in December and they all worked to open the door. (We made sure the bands worked to open the door before deciding to use them.)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So we can't use our previous set of magic bands from December for our upcoming May trip? Hm, seems like a waste of resources and postage.
You can. We have used previous bands for new stays without issue (wanted to wear different colors each day.) You will get a new set of bands with each new reservation, whether you want them or not. We have 6 sets apiece with 2 more on order :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom