Wow!!! The Fantasy had THE RIDE last night!!!

Avenger117

Wow, I just read the thread at that board and the facebook page. I was laughing at first. Then I remember that people lost their lives and a lot of people lost homes and businesses, then we have folks grossly overreacting about a rough night on a cruise ship. People actually died in this storm and these folks are acting like they are survivors or that their lives were actually threatened.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Wow, I just read the thread at that board and the facebook page. I was laughing at first. Then I remember that people lost their lives and a lot of people lost homes and businesses, then we have folks grossly overreacting about a rough night on a cruise ship. People actually died in this storm and these folks are acting like they are survivors or that their lives were actually threatened.

That's exactly the point. They're "survivors" of what? A rough ride? Cry me a river. No doubt it was scary but there's far worse things. Definitely need a perspective check.

We have 2 members here who were both on the same ship at the same time and they're not carrying on. They both seem to be just fine and have assured us of that.

I think what happened is a few people who don't know much about sea faring came back freaked out and it snowballed into this mob mentality that took on a life of it's own. At some point it's going to settle back down.

Disneyfalcon

Those pictures tell the story all right. The story of cast members putting bottles in baskets so they wouldn't break. Oy.

Email bomb. Interesting tactic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Those pictures tell the story all right. The story of cast members putting bottles in baskets so they wouldn't break. Oy.

Email bomb. Interesting tactic.
It works when you have a few thousand people doing it, 150, not so much. It is the modern age equivalent of annoying them into submission. Also, I seriously doubt that any of the three executives actually check their own email. About the most they are going to achieve is ticking off their secretary.

wilkeliza

It works when you have a few thousand people doing it, 150, not so much. It is the modern age equivalent of annoying them into submission. Also, I seriously doubt that any of the three executives actually check their own email. About the most they are going to achieve is ticking off their secretary.

Disney executives have far worse things to worry about right now than a few people who knowingly cruised during Hurricane season and got mad over rough seas. Sorry I'm a New Yorker and people lost their lives and our city is with out power in the major hubs for at least a week add to that the destruction of the Jersey Shore and the fires in Queens and the tri-state area is in a mess right now. Disney has corporate offices in NYC including ABC and Marvel and you think they are going to worry about a few hundred cruise line passengers who were not physically harmed. Right now they are having to figure out how to get people back to work and restore lots of offices and such in the NY area.

edit: I don't want to diminish their anxiety from the experience but people need to put priorities on life. They made it to the final port with no one harmed and got to go home on time. There are still families stuck here in Orlando or even stuck at home where were suppose to be on flights to or from the tri-state area who are now stranded.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
wilkeliza, you're so right. I'm thinkin' of y'all up there. After Katrina we were without power for just over a month. We were on a well, too. It was so dang hot and I was working nights. Stress at work, battle to stay cool enough to rest by day. Horrible-canes totally stink. NYC & NJ offer up a whole new kind of clean up & recovery. I'll be sayin some extra prayers for y'all.

wilkeliza

wilkeliza, you're so right. I'm thinkin' of y'all up there. After Katrina we were without power for just over a month. We were on a well, too. It was so dang hot and I was working nights. Stress at work, battle to stay cool enough to rest by day. Horrible-canes totally stink. NYC & NJ offer up a whole new kind of clean up & recovery. I'll be sayin some extra prayers for y'all.

I'm very lucky I'm not there right now. It seems like these storks follow me. I'm a Texan by birth and was there for Katrina and Ike (2 weeks no power after Ike thank god for a generator) and then I move to NYC. I was there last year for the storm then and where we web to deal shelter got hit harder than the city itself. This time I'm on the college program in FL so I wasn't home but I am going home this weekend to be with my boyfriend and friends as they still wait for power to be turned back on and continue to assess the damage to to the city. We are lucky that we just lost power. My friend just moved out if the lower East Side an we found out her old apartment had 8 feet of water because it was a basement apartment in the worst hit area of the city. It is sad my tip home had to happen on terms like this.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney executives have far worse things to worry about right now than a few people who knowingly cruised during Hurricane season and got mad over rough seas. Sorry I'm a New Yorker and people lost their lives and our city is with out power in the major hubs for at least a week add to that the destruction of the Jersey Shore and the fires in Queens and the tri-state area is in a mess right now. Disney has corporate offices in NYC including ABC and Marvel and you think they are going to worry about a few hundred cruise line passengers who were not physically harmed. Right now they are having to figure out how to get people back to work and restore lots of offices and such in the NY area.

edit: I don't want to diminish their anxiety from the experience but people need to put priorities on life. They made it to the final port with no one harmed and got to go home on time. There are still families stuck here in Orlando or even stuck at home where were suppose to be on flights to or from the tri-state area who are now stranded.

Wow! The stress really comes through in your post. So sorry for you. :( Hope you find the inner strength to cope over the coming weeks.

I'm believing Disney has enough staff to address all of their divisions. They have split the company up into so many different entities that there is sufficient upper management to deal with ABC, DCL, corporate and all Sandy affected divisions. I'm sure DCL will re-evaluate when they plow through a storm and when they will not with the new data collected on how these new ships handle storms like Sandy.

My sis is far from you, in Cleveland, on the lake. Sandy caused a tree to fall on house, then car. Water everywhere, no power and power will be sometime because most of the units were sent East in advance of the storm. Schools are closed, businesses too. My heart goes out to everyone in harms way during and after Sandy. You will all have sad tales to tell for a long, long time. Pixie Dust and Gods Speed.

mickeysbrother

I noticed that too, lol. There is definitely some embellishing going on, though it's not necessarily intentional. I think a lot of the passengers saw everything on the floors in the stores and some furniture turned over, when in reality, many things were put like that intentionally so they wouldn't break. The baskets of bottles of alcohol on the floors in the store? The bottles didn't fall into the baskets, they were taken off the shelves to be safe.

The pools in all the other cruise ships i have been on are emptied every night for safety reasons. I don't think this would be different on a Disney Ship

ChuckElias

Also, I seriously doubt that any of the three executives actually check their own email. About the most they are going to achieve is ticking off their secretary.
FWIW (which is not all that much in the context of this thread, actually), in the past, I have received (what I believe to be) personal responses from Karl Holz via email. With everything that's going on right now, he may have somebody filtering through his email inbox. But when I met him, he gave me his disney.com email address and asked for my feedback about our cruise on the Dream; and when I sent him an email, I got a personal (not form letter) reply.

So I think it's possible that during normal circumstances, Disney execs may actually look through and respond to their company email boxes. These, however, are obviously not normal circumstances. Again, just FWIW.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
FWIW (which is not all that much in the context of this thread, actually), in the past, I have received (what I believe to be) personal responses from Karl Holz via email. With everything that's going on right now, he may have somebody filtering through his email inbox. But when I met him, he gave me his disney.com email address and asked for my feedback about our cruise on the Dream; and when I sent him an email, I got a personal (not form letter) reply.

So I think it's possible that during normal circumstances, Disney execs may actually look through and respond to their company email boxes. These, however, are obviously not normal circumstances. Again, just FWIW.
I do not doubt that they actually see their, mail but at some point the quantity gets to great and they have to have someone on staff to filter through it and reduce it to what needs to actually be looked at. If this group somehow manages to blast off 1000 form email to each executive, I have a feeling that each executive will see that message exactly once if at all.

jakeman

So I was on the Dream for the October 22-25 sailing. We had a good time. Never got off the boat, but that made customs easier as we never technically "left" the US. :)

I hate to reference internet memes, but this is definitely a First World problem.

I never felt in any danger and no crew ever appeared concerned beyond commenting that the boat was rocking.

We got 25% off our next 3-day cruise good through 2014.

We thought about complaining but when we talked about it, the wife and I both decided that we could not tell guest services with a straight face that we weren't getting our money's worth.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
So I was on the Dream for the October 22-25 sailing. We had a good time. Never got off the boat, but that made customs easier as we never technically "left" the US. :)

I hate to reference internet memes, but this is definitely a First World problem.

I never felt in any danger and no crew ever appeared concerned beyond commenting that the boat was rocking.

We thought about complaining but when we talked about it, the wife and I both decided that we could not tell guest services with a straight face that we weren't getting our money's worth.

Awwww...I'm sorry you were on the 3-night to nowhere. Did they offer a lot to do indoors? Just curious. You're so right, definitely a First World problem. Yay for a good discount! And glad that in the end it at least seems like there was some amount of enjoyment. At least you can say you did it, huh? Think you'll use your discount and go for it again??? A lot of the freaked-out people and some that are freaked out from what they've read are saying they're reconsidering. Curious what your perspective is. Thanks for chiming in! :)

Disneyfalcon

Wow! All I have heard is complaining about that cruise. I haven't heard a single person say they still enjoyed it and weren't bitter that Disney didn't cancel it.

You are awesome jakeman. I am so glad you were still able to enjoy yourself. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom