Would the real Shamu please stand up?

ukcoasterfreak

Original Poster
This probably sounds like a real stupid question but I'd appreciate it if somebody could give me some info to clear it up.

SeaWorld Texas, California and Florida all have the Shamu show and the website claims that each show features the world famous Shamu... what I want to know which is the original 'real' Shamu? Which park is he at?

DCA Fan

I dunno...but I'm leaning on San Diego, I think that was the first park, so therefore it should have the first Shamu.

If anyone has FIRM evidence, do let us know. I'm curious about this.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by mktiggerman
the real shamu was the first San Diego one, who is now dead

But aren't the new ones named Shamu as well? I remember being at Sea World when Baby Namu (I think that was the name) was born. They showed a video before the show and everything...

Erika

There have been a whole lotta Shamus. When Shamu Orlando had a baby- the one that was born maybe about 15 years ago- they sent me an "I love Baby Shamu" button.

It's such a recognized name that they keep it alive by giving it to almost everybody! It gets so confusing!

Maria

For me, Shamu is the one with the bent fin. She was a fat huge whale who came at the end of the show. She had a baby: Namu. I also saw her in San Antonio. They name Shamu to every single big whale they have as star. :animwink:

As for other Shamus.... there is one in front of this screen... :rolleyes:

wanabeimagineer

Originally posted by Maria
For me, Shamu is the one with the bent fin. She was a fat huge whale who came at the end of the show. She had a baby: Namu. I also saw her in San Antonio. They name Shamu to every single big whale they have as star. :animwink:

The one with the bent fin Im pretty sure is officially named Ramu. Hes the biggest and his only purpose in the show is to splash people, no special tricks or anything. As for the original Shamu, he died a long time ago in a tragic accident while doing a trick, both whales jumped, they collided, Shamu died and the female "Namu" survived. Now pretty much all the males (except the big one) are Shamu and the females are referred to as Namu. Like someone else said, Shamu is just such a recognizable name that most people think of every whale as Shamu.

disneydolphin

Shamu is a stage name, the real Shamu died several years ago.

The killer whales at SeaWorld, FL are Katina, Kalina, Unna, Taku, Tilikum, Taima, Tekoa, Tuar plus Katina's new baby.

The one's at SeaWorld Texas are Kayla, Keto and Ky.

At SeaWorld California they have Corky, Orkid, Takara, Kasatka, Splash, Sumar, Nakai, Kohana and Ulises...

disneydolphin

Well, first of all I love all of the killer whales at SeaWorld, and you can find lots of info about the whales(some sites include biographies on them and of course lots of pictures), and some of the orcas at SeaWorld actually have pretty big fans as if they were celebrities..

jmarc63

As already stated The first Shamu was at the first Sea World in San Deigo in the late 60s, when three college friends came up with the idea ,and has since passed on. The breed of Whale that shamu was is dubed shamu , but each indivudal whale has his/her own name. Shamu is a stage name for the show.

IOAfan0183

Shamu is a stage name for all the killer whales at all the parks...It really doesn't matter which park has/had the original Shamu...Each of the whales have its own name the trainers give them when they are born (or arrive at the park), but in the shows, the trainers call the whales Shamu, Namu, Baby Namu, Baby Shamu, etc.

IOAfan0183

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom