Would/Have you moved to FL (in part) for WDW?

CaptainAmerica

Exactly I have friends who quit 200K a year jobs to work for Disney just because they were tired of bureaucracy and wanted less stress. They are HAPPY with what they do and they have saved enough to not have to work another day in their lives yet they still work there.
Having saved enough money to never work again in your life and then moving to work the front lines at Disney is not "moving to work at Disney." It's basically retiring and then "doing Disney" as a hobby. I have no problem with that. I'm talking about people, members of wdwmagic even, who have professional jobs as accountants or teachers or whatever else and zero savings who move to Florida for that same minimum wage job. That's just irresponsible. The video that @Cmdr_Crimson posted is completely accurate.

CaptainAmerica

Let's be fair, though. You cited someone leaving a $200,000 per year career. That person could have reasonably saved and invested for years and gotten to the point where they could sustain themselves without worrying about their week-to-week salary. We could also be talking about a two income family where one person decides to work at Disney for $8.00 per hour but the other person is still earning a very good income.

My point is not that those things are common, merely that there are other possibilities besides "being on the government dole."
No. I didn't.

I'm not talking about hypotheticals. I'm talking about ACTUAL people who left ACTUAL careers with no million dollar nest eggs to fall back on.

POLY LOVER

No. I didn't.

I'm not talking about hypotheticals. I'm talking about ACTUAL people who left ACTUAL careers with no million dollar nest eggs to fall back on.

why would I care if someone did do that its their life? Maybe they have the guts to do it and others just talk about it? Maybe money isn't everything? Maybe some small job with great staisfaction is most important at certain stages of life.

mf1972

my wife & I joked about moving to Florida. we both work at a hospital in NJ. I did a little research & saw that it would be nearly a 40-50% drop in income for us.
again, I didn't research it much, but was a bit of a buzz kill if we were serious about it.

CaptainAmerica

This is perfect, because I can pick it apart piece by piece.

why would I care if someone did do that its their life?
Who cares if it's someone else's life? You're not allowed to have opinions on what's a good or bad thing to do with your life? How do you feel about people who hit their children or gamble away their life savings? You're going to tell me you're not allowed to have an opinion one way or the other just because "it's their life, so pft."

Maybe they have the guts to do it and others just talk about it?
It's not guts to run away from real-world responsibilities to go live in a fantasy land. It's cowardice.

Maybe money isn't everything?
No, but it certainly helps. Again, I'm not talking about an accountant making $80,000 in Boston who moves to Orlando and earns $60,000 as an accountant. In that case, sure, make the "money isn't everything" argument. I'm talking about the accountant with a wife and two children making $80,000 in Boston who moves to Orlando to make $8.00 an hour as a merchandise host. That's about $17,000 a year. Don't give me "money isn't everything," that's borderline child abuse. If someone can only get a minimum wage job because that's all the skill they have, that's one thing. But to go earn poverty-level wages on purpose is absolutely immoral when there are other people relying on your income.

Maybe some small job with great staisfaction is most important at certain stages of life.
You're nuts if you think being a front line cast member is a "small job with great satisfaction." It's not. It's low-compensation menial labor that requires you to smack a smile on your face and pretend like it's not. There's a reason that the college program is only six months long. It's because that's the cap on how long most people can do that job without flaming out.

POLY LOVER

This is perfect, because I can pick it apart piece by piece.

Who cares if it's someone else's life? You're not allowed to have opinions on what's a good or bad thing to do with your life? How do you feel about people who hit their children or gamble away their life savings? You're going to tell me you're not allowed to have an opinion one way or the other just because "it's their life, so pft."

It's not guts to run away from real-world responsibilities to go live in a fantasy land. It's cowardice.

No, but it certainly helps. Again, I'm not talking about an accountant making $80,000 in Boston who moves to Orlando and earns $60,000 as an accountant. In that case, sure, make the "money isn't everything" argument. I'm talking about the accountant with a wife and two children making $80,000 in Boston who moves to Orlando to make $8.00 an hour as a merchandise host. That's about $17,000 a year. Don't give me "money isn't everything," that's borderline child abuse. If someone can only get a minimum wage job because that's all the skill they have, that's one thing. But to go earn poverty-level wages on purpose is absolutely immoral when there are other people relying on your income.

You're nuts if you think being a front line cast member is a "small job with great satisfaction." It's not. It's low-compensation menial labor that requires you to smack a smile on your face and pretend like it's not. There's a reason that the college program is only six months long. It's because that's the cap on how long most people can do that job without flaming out.

you are drwaing many conclusion here about people who work in Disney. Child abuse, abandoning thier family responsiblility? I think anyone that has done this considers those factors first. If you have abandoned your family responsibilitys then yes your nuts but if you had enough of the real world made your money and now want a low pressure fun job by all means go ahead do it.

Last edited:

bhg469

I'm just about sick of walking out the door in the morning and not knowing what to expect on my drive in or stepping gingerly across the parking lot and hoping not to break something I need. Last year was a mess.

Sorry I did not mean to pick on Buffalo I was actually there once and had some great wings at the Anchor.
Dont be sorry, its not as bad as Im making it out to be but as long as its part of the state of NY, it will never be a great place to live. As for wings... If you're ever back definitely skip anchor bar and head right to the Bar Bill!

POLY LOVER

Dont be sorry, its not as bad as Im making it out to be but as long as its part of the state of NY, it will never be a great place to live. As for wings... If you're ever back definitely skip anchor bar and head right to the Bar Bill!

will do, is the Anchor over rated now? I was told they were the original wing place in Buffalo and to go there?

bhg469

will do, is the Anchor over rated now? I was told they were the original wing place in Buffalo and to go there?
Well they are definitely the originator and they have been doing it longer than anyone else but like any regional food, there is somewhere the locals go that is way better. There is also Duffs which is the other famous place but IMO my local pizza place makes better wings than either.

Arthur Wellesley

We've seen people on these boards with legitimate professional careers move to Orlando to go work quick serve F&B at Animal Kingdom.
They're breaking what law by doing this exactly? And since you're so certain as to what constitutes a "legitimate" professional career...then why don't you make your own meals throughout your next vacation, since those in F&B are so small an existence in your eye.
Because someone earning $8.00 an hour as a cashier in a theme park cannot, by simple mathematics, pay rent, grocery, utility, and healthcare bills.
Then they make it work. Roommates, acquire a 2nd job, refrain from eating out, live solely on ramen noodles, lower their quality of housing choices, drop the smartphone & other gadgets, whatever it takes. Not saying I personally would prefer any of those options, but living in that area on such means isn't a dream of mine either. Yet if someone is keen on living that way, and if it is important enough to them, they can make it work. Who are we to stand in their way? (Take a gander at your user name, and what the iconic character fights & stands for).
You're not allowed to have opinions on what's a good or bad thing to do with your life? How do you feel about people who hit their children or gamble away their life savings?
Worst example I've ever seen. Child abusers need to be locked up. Excessive gamblers need to seek help. But none of these two options even remotely relate to someone who simply wants to live & work near a destination they are passionate about, which is perfectly legal in every aspect. (Once again, see your user name).
You're going to tell me you're not allowed to have an opinion one way or the other just because "it's their life, so pft."
Big difference between having an opinion and going around constantly spewing the: "You can't, you shouldn't, you won't" rhetoric. In my opinion, being a coal miner is a very hazardous career due to high risks of diseases & on-the-job catastrophes that quite easily can come with it. But you don't hear me going around telling folks who are passionate about it that they are "irresponsible" for putting themselves in harm's way. If that's what they do, more power to 'em.
I'll give you that. If someone is doing anything as a form of running away from real life, then yes, they are cowards. But maybe, just maybe, many people who choose to work for Disney are enthusiastic about the company and what it stands for. Perhaps they feel their skills & personalities are fitting for what the company requires to keep pressing it's reputation of exceptional quality onward. If that is the reason for the career change, then that is most certainly not cowardice, but bravery for seeking a reality outta ambition.
But to go earn poverty-level wages on purpose is absolutely immoral when there are other people relying on your income.
Bringing children to provide for into the mix? Absolutely. I agree with this tenfold.
You're nuts if you think being a front line cast member is a "small job with great satisfaction." It's not. It's low-compensation menial labor that requires you to smack a smile on your face and pretend like it's not.
And just when I was beginning to gain a smidgen of respect for your preaching, you go and say something like this, which is pretty much a slap in the face to anyone & everyone who works hard as a CM so you can relax for a few weeks. Heaven forbid, some of those smiles on their faces might actually be legit....because, unlike the way you come across, those people are content with their lives and enjoy what they do...wages be damned. Maybe they know that fulfillment comes not from a paycheck but from purpose. And it is you sir who is nuts if you think what these CM's endure on a daily basis for our enjoyment is anything near menial.

POLY LOVER

They're breaking what law by doing this exactly? And since you're so certain as to what constitutes a "legitimate" professional career...then why don't you make your own meals throughout your next vacation, since those in F&B are so small an existence in your eye.

Then they make it work. Roommates, acquire a 2nd job, refrain from eating out, live solely on ramen noodles, lower their quality of housing choices, drop the smartphone & other gadgets, whatever it takes. Not saying I personally would prefer any of those options, but living in that area on such means isn't a dream of mine either. Yet if someone is keen on living that way, and if it is important enough to them, they can make it work. Who are we to stand in their way? (Take a gander at your user name, and what the iconic character fights & stands for).

Worst example I've ever seen. Child abusers need to be locked up. Excessive gamblers need to seek help. But none of these two options even remotely relate to someone who simply wants to live & work near a destination they are passionate about, which is perfectly legal in every aspect. (Once again, see your user name).

Big difference between having an opinion and going around constantly spewing the: "You can't, you shouldn't, you won't" rhetoric. In my opinion, being a coal miner is a very hazardous career due to high risks of diseases & on-the-job catastrophes that quite easily can come with it. But you don't hear me going around telling folks who are passionate about it that they are "irresponsible" for putting themselves in harm's way. If that's what they do, more power to 'em.

I'll give you that. If someone is doing anything as a form of running away from real life, then yes, they are cowards. But maybe, just maybe, many people who choose to work for Disney are enthusiastic about the company and what it stands for. Perhaps they feel their skills & personalities are fitting for what the company requires to keep pressing it's reputation of exceptional quality onward. If that is the reason for the career change, then that is most certainly not cowardice, but bravery for seeking a reality outta ambition.

Bringing children to provide for into the mix? Absolutely. I agree with this tenfold.

And just when I was beginning to gain a smidgen of respect for your preaching, you go and say something like this, which is pretty much a slap in the face to anyone & everyone who works hard as a CM so you can relax for a few weeks. Heaven forbid, some of those smiles on their faces might actually be legit....because, unlike the way you come across, those people are content with their lives and enjoy what they do...wages be damned. Maybe they know that fulfillment comes not from a paycheck but from purpose. And it is you sir who is nuts if you think what these CM's endure on a daily basis for our enjoyment is anything near menial.
Bravo, I see the cast members and they do a great job

POLY LOVER

Maybe you can say that a person who works at a job they hate going to each day and never trying to improve their work environment is nuts. Maybe people are jealous of a person who can actually pull the pin and makes the change that others are afraid of. I think life is short, get busy living or get busy dying.(SR) it's not for everyone but don,t criticize people who do it.

danyoung56

But to go earn poverty-level wages on purpose is absolutely immoral when there are other people relying on your income.

I don't disagree with you, but I can't see anyone actually doing that, nor is this thread supporting that behavior. If a person is going to move to WDW and radically reduce their income level, then they need to either have enough money saved up to do that or (like me) be retired and then getting money back that I've paid in over the years. I'm in no way living off of the government. I'll of course need to do the math and make sure I can continue to support myself on 18 hours a week at $8 an hour. If I can, great. But in no way would I do that NOW - too many bills to pay.

RoadTrip

To me it has nothing to do with economics. I could easily move to Orlando and work part time for Disney or not work at all. When I took early retirement I always assumed I would work part time in retirement, but found there was no need. Between a pension I am very grateful for and the income from my investments, I live a similar lifestyle now to what I did before I retired. I may not have the 'luxuries" any more and I can't always remodel my home as often as I used to, but my housing, automobiles, and vacations are much the same. But if I moved to Orlando I am so afraid that WDW would no longer be that special magic place that I love. I have seen it happen to others, and I would never want that to happen to me. So I will keep living here in SW Missouri where the cost of living is cheap and happily dream about my annual Disney vacation. That works best for me. :)

Tomi-Rocket

I dreamt of it but when I found out that WDW rarely hires FT anymore I decided against it. I hate hot weather and bugs so the only reason I would've gone was to hopefully get a job.

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
With so many telecommuting jobs out there that would enable someone to work from where-ever they chose to live, it wouldn't even really be a matter of someone giving up their job just to take a low-paying one with Disney. If I had such a job, then I'd absolutely go with the move down to Florida to be close to Disney. I can only imagine how nice it would be to finish a day of work and then have the option to spend my evening at Disney.......and do that anytime I desired.

tonganprince

My dilemma.. (Though I am too many years away from retirement) My wife's parents have a condo in Naples which they will eventually give to her. Florida, great! 3+ hours from Disney.. not so great. I can't see making that drive very often.

RoadTrip

My dilemma.. (Though I am too many years away from retirement) My wife's parents have a condo in Naples which they will eventually give to her. Florida, great! 3+ hours from Disney.. not so great. I can't see making that drive very often.
I don't even really like Florida (except for WDW) but turn down a condo in Naples? Are you crazy???
:D :p :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom