worst orlando hotel ever

BRER STITCH

Thanx for sharing STITCH82!!! :wave:

That's the kind of info that can really be useful to somebody planning a trip to WDW!

There's so many bad Hotels out there that you can hardly believe the descriptions on their websites anymore. I've found it best to only stay at places where somebody I know has already given their approval from a previous stay!

Luckily, most of my trips are on the company so the hotels are top notch! If you stick with a Hilton or Marriott, etc you are also much more likely to be compensated if there are problems during your stay.

Thanks again!

:)

barnum42

Some stinker reviews and some not so bad. Though the stinkers outweigh the not so bads. Probably because people are far happier to moan than compliment.

stitch82

Original Poster
BRER STITCH said:
Thanx for sharing STITCH82!!! :wave:

That's the kind of info that can really be useful to somebody planning a trip to WDW!

There's so many bad Hotels out there that you can hardly believe the descriptions on their websites anymore. I've found it best to only stay at places where somebody I know has already given their approval from a previous stay!

Luckily, most of my trips are on the company so the hotels are top notch! If you stick with a Hilton or Marriott, etc you are also much more likely to be compensated if there are problems during your stay.

Thanks again!

:)

very welcome...that's all i way trying to do. :) i feel the same way. i really prefer to have tips from friends, and i think this message board can serve the same purpose.

and company trips are great! i'm a big hilton fan. :)

barnum42

OK - I finally got around to checking just where I stayed. I was not at the Econolodge Polynesian, but the Quality Inn Polynesian.

It's nothing special, but a clean comfortable place to sleep after a long day's park hopping :)

Stitch82--Thanks so much for that information! I agree that sharing travel experiences is a valuable way to help insure a problem free vacation. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Speck76-I have to respectfully disagree with you, big time! A hotel that is "dirty, has bugs, and a door lock that doesn't lock properly" is not a matter of being "a more informed guest" or having "responsibility to shop around". Are you kidding?! Human decency is at stake here. Just because a hotel is inexpensive does not mean that it should violate all health and safety codes. How exactly are you supposed to know in advance of these types of situations, even if you see the room at check in time. We have traveled extensively all over the world. There were times when all we could afford was an inexpensive hotel. So if you can't afford something fancy, "you get what you pay for". I can't see that rationale at all. That should mean that the hotel is basic, with no frills, or less convenient location than others, not a filthy nightmare. When it doesn't, the hotel at least should try to do something to accomodate their guest. Whew! Now I feel better. JMO guys, I just don't think that's right.

speck76

Emerald Rose said:
Speck76-I have to respectfully disagree with you, big time! A hotel that is "dirty, has bugs, and a door lock that doesn't lock properly" is not a matter of being "a more informed guest" or having "responsibility to shop around". Are you kidding?! Human decency is at stake here. Just because a hotel is inexpensive does not mean that it should violate all health and safety codes. How exactly are you supposed to know in advance of these types of situations, even if you see the room at check in time. We have traveled extensively all over the world. There were times when all we could afford was an inexpensive hotel. So if you can't afford something fancy, "you get what you pay for". I can't see that rationale at all. That should mean that the hotel is basic, with no frills, or less convenient location than others, not a filthy nightmare. When it doesn't, the hotel at least should try to do something to accomodate their guest. Whew! Now I feel better. JMO guys, I just don't think that's right.

Ok then

A hotel that charges $35 a night needs to still maintain some type of profitability......so where do they cut back? Do they offer less services....of course.....but how many services really make an impact on the bottom line....bell services....valet parking.....these are VERY cheap for a hotel to offer, since they are paying less than minimum wage for such staff (as the staff earns their money on tips)

Housekeeping....most definately......housekeepers in nicer hotels clean 14-16 rooms per shift.....in the crappier hotels....20+

Maintenance.....most definately.....a nicer hotel will do its best to ensure everything is in working order....the same can not be said for cheaper hotels.

The health codes in FL are rather loose, they pertain more to sanitation than anything else. A room can appear dirty, but still be sanitary. A nicer hotel would ensure that the room is both clean and sanitary, a cheaper hotel is more concerned about sanitation....cleanliness is an afterthought.

Bugs.....no rules exist about bugs.....this is FL, every hotel has bugs. Unfortunately, due to past lawsuits, hotels are not permitted to spray for bugs inside a guestroom without taking the room out of service for more than a week. Larger hotels can do this....a cheaper hotel most likely makes money on volume (instead of margin like nicer hotels) and therefore can not afford to do this.

As for being the buyers responsibility.....there are enough resourses to know what you are getting yourself into before you get there......don't be lazy, do some research, or be prepared for the worst.

snoopi_grl

stitch82 said:
i thought i'd give this a mention in here...

i spent one night at the econo lodge hawaiian in orlando a few weeks ago, and it was the absolute worst hotel i've ever stayed at. the room was very dirty and reeked of mildew, there were bugs everywhere, the door did not lock properly, the staff was grouchy and unwilling to allow me to switch rooms or cancel my room entirely without being charged. :mad: it was definately the most negative hotel experience i've ever had, and i travel quite frequently. needless to say, i found another hotel the next morning...

no matter what articles are printed about the disney hotels losing their magic, after one night at the econo lodge even the all-star resorts seem like heaven!! :sohappy:

Never even heard of that hotel. Why is econo lodge hawaiian?
Florida is not Hawaii- that hotel needs to do something with their name.

barnum42

snoopi_grl said:
Never even heard of that hotel. Why is econo lodge hawaiian?
Florida is not Hawaii- that hotel needs to do something with their name.

I think it's on Polynesian Drive, hence the name.

speck76 said:
Ok then

A hotel that charges $35 a night needs to still maintain some type of profitability......so where do they cut back? Do they offer less services....of course.....but how many services really make an impact on the bottom line....bell services....valet parking.....these are VERY cheap for a hotel to offer, since they are paying less than minimum wage for such staff (as the staff earns their money on tips)

Housekeeping....most definately......housekeepers in nicer hotels clean 14-16 rooms per shift.....in the crappier hotels....20+

Maintenance.....most definately.....a nicer hotel will do its best to ensure everything is in working order....the same can not be said for cheaper hotels.

The health codes in FL are rather loose, they pertain more to sanitation than anything else. A room can appear dirty, but still be sanitary. A nicer hotel would ensure that the room is both clean and sanitary, a cheaper hotel is more concerned about sanitation....cleanliness is an afterthought.

Bugs.....no rules exist about bugs.....this is FL, every hotel has bugs. Unfortunately, due to past lawsuits, hotels are not permitted to spray for bugs inside a guestroom without taking the room out of service for more than a week. Larger hotels can do this....a cheaper hotel most likely makes money on volume (instead of margin like nicer hotels) and therefore can not afford to do this.

As for being the buyers responsibility.....there are enough resourses to know what you are getting yourself into before you get there......don't be lazy, do some research, or be prepared for the worst.

Speck76, you make some very valid points about hotel profitability and amount charged per room. I do think though that this hotel should have at least allowed a room change. If the room was not disturbed, I don't see why that should impact them at all. But obviously it did so you are right in recommending research as much as possible, cause if you don't you may very well find this type of situation.

lamarvenoy

Speck76-I have to respectfully disagree with you, big time! A hotel that is "dirty, has bugs, and a door lock that doesn't lock properly" is not a matter of being "a more informed guest" or having "responsibility to shop around". Are you kidding?! Human decency is at stake here. Just because a hotel is inexpensive does not mean that it should violate all health and safety codes. How exactly are you supposed to know in advance of these types of situations, even if you see the room at check in time. We have traveled extensively all over the world. There were times when all we could afford was an inexpensive hotel. So if you can't afford something fancy, "you get what you pay for". I can't see that rationale at all. That should mean that the hotel is basic, with no frills, or less convenient location than others, not a filthy nightmare. When it doesn't, the hotel at least should try to do something to accomodate their guest. Whew! Now I feel better. JMO guys, I just don't think that's right.[/QUOTE]

Speck would know better than anyone, he's in that line! His points are good too, how often can a dumpy hotel that charges $35 a night afford to remodel? Change its mattress? Buy new linens and other wear and tear items? I try to stay away from independent run hotels and stick with the chains I know. Competition in the area is very heavy and even cut-throat. if you stick with a name you know chances are your stay will be predictably good and if not their chain of command allows for better chances of a refund or "freebie" in case their is a preventable problem. If you stick with Wyndum, Hyatt,Hilton or even Ramada or Sheraton chances are you will have a pleasent problem free stay.

Pjmac

Anyone have any feed back on:
Howard Johnson Enchantedland Resort
4985 West Irlo Bronson Hwy., Kissimmee, FL 34746, US

Thanks.

james15

My hotel experince on 192 was the days suites.Not a good one at all. Old town next door was alright but the hotel it self sucked.The kids talked me into nick suites for a couple of nights before checking into Port Orleans and the 2 bed room suite we had we actually liked it a little more than the room at POR. But everything else food,pools just the feel of the resort POR was much better.

My wife and I had a wonderful experience twice (2000 and 2001) at the Masters Inn Maingate on 192. It's actually on Entry-Point Blvd, which goes directly to the AK... Less than 5 minutes parking lot to parking lot actually.

We'll be staying there again in January and the rooms are really cheap - about 35-40 a night and they're clean, have minimal extras, but who cares? I go for the parks, not the hotel. Besides, 5 minutes to AK is hard to beat w/o going to a Disney hotel.

We really need to do that sometime though...

ErickainPA

I was looking at staying here:

Best Western Lakeside
7769 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
Kissimmee, Florida

It's for one night only so really only for sleeping and then heading out around 5:30 for the airport for an early am flight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom