deleted

Jeff456

Guardians of the galaxy for two reasons, another IP going into Epcot which further signals its demise and no doubt we will begin to rapidly lose future world and also being ill miss Ellen, if only they could have just kept it open a few more days I'm missing it and the great movie ride by 6 days

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Lets get all of the boo-hooing out of the way about how the parks are just going to be ruined with these *gasp* changes and how the X-class is going to be priced out of staying at the new Starwars experience hotel as the rooms will be yield averaged above the standard room cost of the Grand Floridian.

Face it, there are lots of things that have been in place that have not met the expectations of the guests and breaking the original concepts to address them is what the Disney company is doing. The Worlds Fair concept for Epcot is a good example.

Bender123

I always feel like Im the only one on this board that feels like these changes seem like a fantastic step, even though the Disney history fan in me feels weird about it...We get so caught up in our extreme fandom, we forget that we aresuch a small minority of people that go to WDW.

Ellen is so old and dated, that the ride feels like a 80's ride...The AAs are some of the worst at the parks and stand out like a sore thumb. the dino's, that were very impressive when Epcot opened, now look silly and really pretty unimpressive. The film portions, again, are seriously outdated and need replacement. I love the ride, but that's only because the history buff in me likes it. My kids think its boring and laughable. There is never a wait and every time I have ridden it in the past 15 years has had less than 25% capacity.

GMR has the same issues. I love it, but its time has come. Outside the Witch, the AAs are hot garbage and there really isn't anything in it that speaks to the vast majority of people. The movies are timeless, but you can now watch them instantly on your phone. When this ride was designed, VHS rental was still fairly new...When construction started, Blockbuster had one location (yeah...it has about that now, but you get the point). Its no longer a special occasion or trip to see the actual classic movies. The other issue is new movies are getting insanely high end immersion areas, like Harry Potter, Star Wars, Pandora, etc...The scenes in GMR look quaint and somewhat boring next to a fully themed area.

Thank god I am there next week for a last ride on these two, but I am glad to see progress and glad I get one more ride.

My only real complaint from the announcements is GotG being in Epcot. I like the idea of bringing more life to the park, but what type of randomness is that location? If they can somehow do a GotG ride with an educational space theme, OK. If its just GotG next to cars, farming, seas and communication, its weird.

75disney

I am saddened by the news of the GMR's closure for the same reason as everyone else. I was upset most though by the hotel announcements for WDW... an ultra expensive Star Wars hotel, another DVC, and transportation upgrades (which by itself is good) to a moderate and 2 values (I think Art of Animation is supposed to be a value?) which will result in those 3 becoming much more expensive. I would prefer for Disney to build more moderate priced hotels that a middle class family can afford. I feel that Disney is only focusing on the elite who can pay the ridiculous prices that they charge for "special" events and immersive hotels, and Disney is forgetting the middle class family which helped make the parks such a success.

po1998

While I'm very disappointed at the demise of GMR, at least it is being replaced by a new attraction. IMO the worst two announcements at D23 were...

1 - Another DVC(how many are there now?). I will never own. Could not care less.

2 - Star Wars "immersive(role playing)" resort. If rumors are true, ridiculously overpriced. Not my thing. Will never stay there.

correcaminos

I'm not crazy about UoE and GMR going away (I think both could have been upgraded in great ways) but I think the worst announcement is that they will both be closing so soon. There is no time for the fans to make a trip to say goodbye.
The rumors for both have been around for a long time though. We rode each our last trip just in case.

I think it's bad to close them though because both parks IMO are lacking in rides anyway. Both need new added (and DHS is getting it though) and not removed.

I'm honestly disappointed in the lack of new build rides for Epcot. 1 and no new country is not enough.

Berret

In the Parks
No
Lets get all of the boo-hooing out of the way about how the parks are just going to be ruined with these *gasp* changes and how the X-class is going to be priced out of staying at the new Starwars experience hotel as the rooms will be yield averaged above the standard room cost of the Grand Floridian.

Face it, there are lots of things that have been in place that have not met the expectations of the guests and breaking the original concepts to address them is what the Disney company is doing. The Worlds Fair concept for Epcot is a good example.

Uh...care to elaborate?

AndrewsJ

I'm not crazy about UoE and GMR going away (I think both could have been upgraded in great ways) but I think the worst announcement is that they will both be closing so soon. There is no time for the fans to make a trip to say goodbye.
Actually there is plenty of time. I just booked a trip yesterday to say goodbye to the GMR.

AndrewsJ

Couldn't have said it better. I'm excited about each and every D23 announcement. It just proves to me that all of the complainers never really wanted Disney to do anything to fix the state of the parks. These people just like to complain. And I'll get flamed with all of these "But that's not what Disney should have done" and "But I wanted ...". It's not really about what all of the complainers want because Disney knows they could never please them in the first place. It's about what real fans want and the applause at D23 said all that needed to be said. This forum is just for entitled complainers, not real fans. Disney is making money hand of fist for a reason. They know what they are doing. Miserable people hiding behind computer screens complaining are doing just that because they have no idea what it takes to run a multi-billion dollar cooperation. A park run by the geniuses here on this board would fall flat on its face in 2 seconds flat. If you think you can do it better then do it but sitting behind your computer bawling your eyes out won't fix a thing. Now please go on about proving my point.

MrHappy

CV89U-ZU4AE7ea2.jpg:large

Winter

GMR closing. I don't have a problem with the Mickey Ride, but they should have put it somewhere else. And at the very least if it has to replace The Great Movie Ride, couldn't they wait until Toy Story Land's opening? There's gonna be 4 rides at Hollywood Studios now lol..........

Chef Mickey

There just is NO GOOD REASON to close the Great Movie Ride. They have the space to build the new Mickey Ride somewhere else at WDW without having to get rid of the GMR. It was like when they closed the old Snow White dark ride at MK because they were building the Mine Train which also had a Snow White theme. So what? More attractions for guests is a GOOD thing!

They just do not have any good reason to do this except to keep operating costs down. The last I checked Disney was making tons of money so it should not be a big deal to ADD an attraction instead of (almost) always replacing an attraction.
Amen. This whole replacement of existing rides gets so old. They are so cheap/lazy when it comes to building new concepts. I suppose the Rat and Tron are brand new, but much of what was announced from an attractions perspective is a replacement.

It's not like the Universe of Energy is a stupid or terrible concept. UPDATE it! Great Movie Ride, same thing. It's an awesome crowd eater and terrific concept.

Sigh...I so wish we were discussing all new rides and amazing updates of existing great rides. Instead, we lose all the greatness and nostalgia in favor of IP which almost by definition becomes stale at some point.

Bender123

The worst announcement was the lack of announcement for removing SGE :arghh:

At the risk of sounding horrible, they don't even need to announce anything to replace it. They could just leave the doors open, air conditioning on and the seats available and it would be more popular. I actively avoid a show with a guaranteed 20 minutes of AC...that's how much I hate that show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom