1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Worried of being rain out!

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Sammyh, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Sammyh

Sammyh New Member

Hi, my family and I are travelling to wdw for the first time on 27th March 2016 and looking at the long range weather forecast the weather looks very wet and rainy with 90% precipitation forecast along with thunderstorms!
    We have booked discovery cove also and I'm now worried that continual rain is going to spoil this supposed magical time .
    Has anyone had much look from these long range forecasts?

2. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Smells Like Victory Premium Member

It's Florida. It rains. Look for ways to enjoy it vs dread it.

JohnByers likes this.
  3. Sammyh

Sammyh New Member Original Poster

Was well aware that rain and thunderstorms are commonplace in florida, just wasn't expecting all day every day! I simply wanted to know how much success people had found with long range forecasts!

ParentsOf4 likes this.
  4. CAPTAIN HOOK

CAPTAIN HOOK Well-Known Member

It's weather, it's unpredictable and the forecast will change hundreds of times before your trip. Take clothing that's appropriate for the time of year (and predicted rainfall) and you'll be fine

CaptainAmerica and ParentsOf4 like this.
  5. Weather_Lady

Weather_Lady Well-Known Member

The last two times we've visited, forecasts right up until the day before we left called for a week of rain.
    Both times, we saw nothing but a handful of blink-and-you'll-miss-it showers, with nothing but sunshine in between.

I wouldn't give a second thought to the forecast (at least in regards to precipitation -- I would certainly make packing adjustments if unusually high/low temperatures are predicted). Toss a few Dollar Tree ponchos into your suitcase and have a wonderful time! (If you do have a rainy day or two, those can provide a great opportunity to visit a park with minimal waits for attractions, as showers tend to keep the locals away.)

Sammyh and ParentsOf4 like this.
  6. DisneyJoe

DisneyJoe Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that you will see all day every day rain. Be prepared for a 30 minute to 2 hour event. I've only had 1 vacation in dozens of trips to WDW where I faced anything slightly more than that. I've visited when it said 100% chance of rain and barely saw a shower.

Sammyh and ParentsOf4 like this.
  7. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

It can be pouring at the MK and not a drop falling at AK. That being said, we've had days in the MK where it's rained for 6 hours or so. It's unfortunate, but it happens. Be sure to stop and buy a bunch of disposable ponchos somewhere near home before you leave.

8. Wendy Pleakley

Wendy Pleakley Well-Known Member

Try and wear shoes that will dry out quickly.

Carry extra socks. Your shirts and shorts will dry in the sun after it rains, your socks will not.

9. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Well-Known Member

Not in March. The downpours of June - September don't really apply yet. It'll most likely either be a rainy day or a dry day rather than dry-day-with-afternoon-downpour that you get in the summer.

10. David2319

David2319 Well-Known Member

If it is just light rain, or no lightning consider yourself lucky, crowds will be less than half, and that includes water parks & Castaway Key, but I don't know about Discovery Cove. Good luck!

11. jrogue

jrogue Well-Known Member

You'll probably be ok! In my experience, rainstorms are pretty short in Orlando. Even if it's not, they only close attractions if there is a threat of lightning and then reopen once the storm has passed. Definitely invest in a poncho, as this has allowed my family to continue to run around the parks even during a downpour! Embrace it and prepare, but I am sure you'll have at least a couple of sunny days. :) I just checked out Accuweather and it says that Sunday will just have a heavy PM thunderstorm, with a not so bad forecast the rest of the week. Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 11.55.23 AM.png

I'm sure this will change again as you get closer, so don't worry! :) Grab a poncho and go!

12. KikoKea

KikoKea Well-Known Member

We've hit rain a few times, but for the most part it was not as bad as predicted, so you never know. I do recall a cloud that looked downright black and like the World was going to be washed away. It sailed on by and we got a quick shower. Take your ponchos and billed caps, quick dry clothes for comfort, extra socks, and maybe a pair of crocs or shoes that are OK if wet. You might want to rent a locker to keep a change of the above, if you're really worried about the rain.

And, put any cameras, phones, etc in a ziploc bag to protect them from a downpour (or Splash Mt!).

MinnieM123 likes this.
  13. oceanbreeze77

oceanbreeze77 Well-Known Member

How bad is the rain in june? Were going for 2 weeks towards the end of june and I am worried about being rained out.

14. DarthMileZ

DarthMileZ Well-Known Member

i've only been in september during hurricane season and that was fine, i remember standing outside of ET during Hurrican Ike in 2008 and that was pretty wild but it didnt last long...

im going May 21st - June 13th, but i love seeing wild weather, because you can stand in the rain and not be freezing cold like here in the UK.

can't wait to see some storms !!