Worried about SSR...

Bernadette1977

Original Poster
Yay! Last minute trip booked- those are my favorite kind, I am a huge fan of spontaneity.

In doing so however, I was not able to book my favorite resort (and home resort), BWV. There is nothing I don't like about BWV, I could never stay on another DVC property and feel quite content. Alas, the only 2 bedroom villa available for our dates (late August next month) is on the SS property. Reading the reviews makes me a little nervous. It seems to be a gigantic property and it seems very hit or miss with a good location. I really have no interest in the Downtown Disney area, BC and BWV area is perfect for us as we have a 9 and 12 year old that only talk about the Rock n Roller Coaster! I know we've been spoiled by the location of BWV and the convenience of its location. Does anyone have anything to say that maybe would put me at ease with this new resort (new to us)?

Also, we are waitlisted for BWV and BC... I'm VERY surprised that every single other DVC property was booked for both one and two bedroom villas... is that a hint of the crowds we can expect? I don't remember it being that busy in late August...!!

Pioneer Hall

Yay! Last minute trip booked- those are my favorite kind, I am a huge fan of spontaneity.

In doing so however, I was not able to book my favorite resort (and home resort), BWV. There is nothing I don't like about BWV, I could never stay on another DVC property and feel quite content. Alas, the only 2 bedroom villa available for our dates (late August next month) is on the SS property. Reading the reviews makes me a little nervous. It seems to be a gigantic property and it seems very hit or miss with a good location. I really have no interest in the Downtown Disney area, BC and BWV area is perfect for us as we have a 9 and 12 year old that only talk about the Rock n Roller Coaster! I know we've been spoiled by the location of BWV and the convenience of its location. Does anyone have anything to say that maybe would put me at ease with this new resort (new to us)?

Also, we are waitlisted for BWV and BC... I'm VERY surprised that every single other DVC property was booked for both one and two bedroom villas... is that a hint of the crowds we can expect? I don't remember it being that busy in late August...!!

You will lose out on the convenience of location, but I feel that SSR is one of those resorts that sometimes gets picked on a bit. It doesn't have a lot going on like the BW does, and the theme might not be as in your face as AKL. However, it is still a Disney resort and the theme that they are trying to bring through is displayed. I think that with a lot of the more criticized things on forums such as this, a few bad opinions make others get a bad taste for something (sometimes without even trying it). It's similar to the stigma that AKL gets because it is "so far away" and the transportation takes forever. Before I stayed there the first time all those negative things made me worried too. Then when I was there and have great bus service, and didn't have to stop 4 times like I do in the Epcot area, I was pleased. Now I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Long story short...enjoy the resort and it's brand new themed pool. You're in Disney and you are going to have a great time!

Bernadette1977

Original Poster
DisneyInsider- thank you for your response. For myself, I have full faith in Disney and it would take much for me to not be completely happy just being there. My fiance however is not a Disney fanatic like me (the horror!) and I would like things to be as smooth as possible for both him and the kids... although if there are pools and pools with slides involved, I can't imagine they won't be happy. Being close to Downtown Disnyey, like I said isn't important... I think the Springs buildings are what we want. I have to investigate more.

Has anyone here ever actually experienced their waitlist choice being confirmed?

Pioneer Hall

DisneyInsider- thank you for your response. For myself, I have full faith in Disney and it would take much for me to not be completely happy just being there. My fiance however is not a Disney fanatic like me (the horror!) and I would like things to be as smooth as possible for both him and the kids... although if there are pools and pools with slides involved, I can't imagine they won't be happy. Being close to Downtown Disnyey, like I said isn't important... I think the Springs buildings are what we want. I have to investigate more.

Has anyone here ever actually experienced their waitlist choice being confirmed?

My waitlists have come through very often.

Bernadette1977

Original Poster
Good to know, thank you. I've yet to have one come through for me. I'm hoping that since late August is a slower season for WDW maybe we'll get lucky. Thank you!

Disneybird

Okay, I have to admit that when I read the title of your thread my first thought was, "Sure I'm worried about social security. Isn't everyone my age"?:lol:

I think you'll like Saratoga Springs. It's a beautiful resort. And remember, you're in Disney.

stlbobby

I love SS. I also love BC and BW. Every resort has it pluses. SS is big, but that means there are a ton of quiet nooks and crannies to explore. There are two theme pools. I haven't been back since they opened the second, but the original is great with a fun slide. The other pools are all quiet pools, extremely relaxing.

There are a lot of activities right at the resort. There are surrey bikes and boat rentals, an awesome spa, and golf. I also love sitting on the lakeside and looking at the beautiful lights of DTD to relax at the end of the night.

If anyone in your party is a runner there are great trails around the resort and a quick run through DTD in the morning before it opens is inspirational.

Even if you don't visit DTD, you can use the bus stop to get directly to other resorts without having to transfer.

There are tons of great things about every Disney resort and you'll have a great time.

Bernadette1977

Original Poster
DisneyBird, I had to go back and look at my title... how funny! I could have chosen something better... lol.

STLBobby, thank you for the tips. In being so loyal to one resort, I'm afraid it has left me a little ignorant to what other areas have to offer. It has been YEARS since I've been to Downtown Disney. You can take the buses there straight to the parks? Your comments have made me feel better, much appreciated.

Pioneer Hall

DisneyBird, I had to go back and look at my title... how funny! I could have chosen something better... lol.

STLBobby, thank you for the tips. In being so loyal to one resort, I'm afraid it has left me a little ignorant to what other areas have to offer. It has been YEARS since I've been to Downtown Disney. You can take the buses there straight to the parks? Your comments have made me feel better, much appreciated.

To make it a bit more recognizable, I will change the thread title to SSR since that is what it is normally called. You can't take the buses from DTD to the parks, but you can take them to any resort from there which makes it easy if you are visiting any of them.

stlbobby

Actually the park buses don't run from DTD, they don't want people using it as parking for the parks. You can get all the park buses right in the resort, but to get to another resort, say for dinner reservations, you normally have to take a bus to another location--DTD or one of the parks--and transfer. But if you are staying on the far end of SS you walk right to the DTD buses and head directly to any resort.

I'm not at home so I don't have my Unofficial Guide handy to look up the room numbers or building name. But I bet someone on here will be able to break the resort rooms down for you.

DABIGCHEEZ

Ah SSR, our home resort... I really do not understand all the dislike for SSR. It is an absolutely beautiful resort. The pools are wonderful and the themeing is well done. Not as in your face as AKL or perhaps as lively as BW but well done just the same. I hope and think you will be surprised by what SSR is... it really does have its own charm. Relax and enjoy your stay.

We will be down there around the same time... so I better not hear you complaining!!! :D

dixiegirl

Ah SSR, our home resort... I really do not understand all the dislike for SSR. It is an absolutely beautiful resort. The pools are wonderful and the themeing is well done. Not as in your face as AKL or perhaps as lively as BW but well done just the same. I hope and think you will be surprised by what SSR is... it really does have its own charm. Relax and enjoy your stay.

We will be down there around the same time... so I better not hear you complaining!!! :D

Hay, put us down in that catagory as well, we'll be down at our "home resort" SSR end of August!!
I agree there is so much to this resort, We love the theming , yes its not mickey all over and in your face as others but to us it definatly has a more resort feel to it. We have two girls who will be 11 and 8, they love it, Between all the pools ,daytime and night time activites with DJ's and such by the pool for families, you can do something or nothing at all.
I believe when people who have never stayed there won't give it a chance because of the negatives that others write...But I really can't complain, the buses never have been a problem for us, but it may be how its timed like other resorts...I know many say its is so far away from the parks, but to be honest I really don't see it....Yes its not next door like DAK or a walk away like Epcot (and I can see that that would be great) but its not like your on the bus for 30 min..!!! I say try it, form yor own opinion, Make sure to check out the different areas online so possibly if you do end up staying there you'll have an idea whats a good area for you and your family!!!
All and all I don't think you'll be unhappy, your on vacation and not home, try to go in with an open mind, if you go in with a negative you may miss out on something good!:sohappy:

dixiegirl

God There really are a bunch of us Northeastherners(wow thats a big word) here huh? I'm from little old RI but lots of Jersey Folks here!!

slappy magoo

Actually the park buses don't run from DTD, they don't want people using it as parking for the parks. You can get all the park buses right in the resort, but to get to another resort, say for dinner reservations, you normally have to take a bus to another location--DTD or one of the parks--and transfer. But if you are staying on the far end of SS you walk right to the DTD buses and head directly to any resort.

I'm not at home so I don't have my Unofficial Guide handy to look up the room numbers or building name. But I bet someone on here will be able to break the resort rooms down for you.

Any time we've stayed at SSR, we've been in the Congress Park section. Quiet pool right there, less than a 5 minute walk to the main building/pool, and about a 7-minute walk the other way will get you to the Marketplace bus stop at DTD, with all the resort buses dropping off and picking up, very easy to get to any of the resorts for meal reservations if you don't have your own car.

MMC4Life

We kind of felt the same way when we stayed at SSR for the first time in May. However, I really appreciated the resort and had a great time. Depending on what you're looking for, you may be able to request a certain group of buildings that will serve more of your purposes. For example, my family really wanted to be the first one off the busses and the first one on, so we chose to stay at the Grandstand, which we loved. We were really close to the Carriage House and then close to the main pool as well as the last stop if we wanted to do that. It made the resort a little bit smaller to us. If you did a little research into if you wanted to be closer to the carriage house (lobby) or if you wanted to look out over downtown disney, maybe that could help you and put your mind at ease!! I know that I did and it really made the trip great, and it didn't feel like the resort was as big as it really was. I hope you have a great time!! :)

foreverbelle

We just got back, on Saturday from staying at SSR and BLT, both of which are our home resorts. And honestly, we enjoyed the SSR section of the stay better than the BLT. We found the new pool at the Paddock to be wonderful. I mean really my son wouldn't get out of it!! I know its a little farther out of the way but we found it to be very relaxing....I would go and enjoy it. If you don't like you know for the next time. But I wouldn't knock it til you try for yourself. You may be quite surprised by it.

I have yet to try BWV, and hope to next year....so obviously I can't compare the two but I would hope you go with an open mind. We were surprised at how much we loved the place. We hadn't been in a few years....

Bernadette1977

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I definitely feel better about the new territory. I guess I just need to go more often in order to try out every resort and the different offerings... ;)

I suppose now I'm just curious as to everything being booked like it is. I didn't think late August was usually so busy?

Lots of northeasterners here, yes! I do love that the kids go back to school AFTER the holiday... Really helps with the vacations planning!

dixiegirl

We just got back, on Saturday from staying at SSR and BLT, both of which are our home resorts. And honestly, we enjoyed the SSR section of the stay better than the BLT. We found the new pool at the Paddock to be wonderful. I mean really my son wouldn't get out of it!! I know its a little farther out of the way but we found it to be very relaxing....I would go and enjoy it. If you don't like you know for the next time. But I wouldn't knock it til you try for yourself. You may be quite surprised by it.

I have yet to try BWV, and hope to next year....so obviously I can't compare the two but I would hope you go with an open mind. We were surprised at how much we loved the place. We hadn't been in a few years....

The new paddock pool any pics?? We seen some on here but I am soooo dying to see it in person....How was your trip?

slappy magoo

Thank you everyone. I definitely feel better about the new territory. I guess I just need to go more often in order to try out every resort and the different offerings... ;)

I suppose now I'm just curious as to everything being booked like it is. I didn't think late August was usually so busy?

Lots of northeasterners here, yes! I do love that the kids go back to school AFTER the holiday... Really helps with the vacations planning!

Well, remember that high occupancy at the DVC resorts or wings isn't the same as high occupancy at WDW in general (though it could wind up being packed, too). As a timeshare, DVC is meant to be at or near full occupancy as much as possible, and making the point values lower for certain times of the year is one of the ways they do there. For example, early December is usually not a busy time for WDW in general, but it's often hard to book out of your home resort for DVC members. I tried it, even at the 7 month window, and couldn't change.

For late August, I think you'll find a lot of people in WDW are from the northeast, as our kids don't go back to school until after Labor Day. As a result, if you're a DVC member, planning to go to WDW in the summer, if by waiting until those last few weeks in August you can save a few points and maybe squeak an etra day out of your trip, you do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom