World of Ghibli

MarioSonic94

Original Poster
Some of you are probably familiar with Hayao Miyazaki. Being that his films are ditributed by Disney, it's logical to have an entire Studio Ghibli (Miyazaki's studio) section in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Here are some proposals for rides

Ponyo ride
A ride similar to the new Little Mermaid ride at the Magic Kingdom, an omnimover ride through certain scenes of the movie

Catbus Tours
A simulator ride themed to My Neighbor Totoro. Basically a redressed Toontown Trolley, only themed to Totoro instead of Roger Rabbit. The ride would be a wild ride on the catbus from the movie, with Mei as the ride's host.

Spirited Away ride
A dark ride themed to the Oscar winning Spirited Away. Possible a Spider Man/DarKastle type dark ride.

What do you think? If you have anything to add to it, please do!!

Figment632

SInce I had know clue what you were talking about till I read Ponyo I am asuming this wouldn't work in the U.S. but in Japan it might.

stitchcastle

on the contrary, I think this is a great idea, I always thought the Ghibli movies would fit in wonderfully in the Disney parks and they are definitely renowned enough that they don't have to just operate in Japan. Besides, the stories are great enough on their own that they don't have to blatantly be obvious tie-ins.

I even thought of a "Kiki's Delivery Service" ride for Fantasyland. Which I had in my old thread.

I also thought of a "Spirited Away" ride where children would have to save their parents from YuBaba.

and then a dark ride based on the Cat Bureau from "The Cat Returns"

I think the subject matter of the Ghibli movies really lend themselves well to the Magic Kingdom as opposed to DHS.

Princess Mononoke would also work well in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Figment632

on the contrary, I think this is a great idea, I always thought the Ghibli movies would fit in wonderfully in the Disney parks and they are definitely renowned enough that they don't have to just operate in Japan. Besides, the stories are great enough on their own that they don't have to blatantly be obvious tie-ins.

I even thought of a "Kiki's Delivery Service" ride for Fantasyland. Which I had in my old thread.

I also thought of a "Spirited Away" ride where children would have to save their parents from YuBaba.

and then a dark ride based on the Cat Bureau from "The Cat Returns"

I think the subject matter of the Ghibli movies really lend themselves well to the Magic Kingdom as opposed to DHS.

Princess Mononoke would also work well in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Not nearlly popular enough for even known to be in US parks.

stitchcastle

Not nearlly popular enough for even known to be in US parks.

that still shouldn't prevent great stories like that from being told in the parks. Spirited Away won a Best Animated Feature Oscar, Howl's Moving Castle was nominated for it as well, Ponyo was pretty popular and maybe not you but a lot of people in the U.S. are more than familiar with the Ghibli movies. If you ask me, I'd say they're a more logical choice for the parks than bringing in obscure disney references no one remembers.

Figment632

that still shouldn't prevent great stories like that from being told in the parks. Spirited Away won a Best Animated Feature Oscar, Howl's Moving Castle was nominated for it as well, Ponyo was pretty popular and maybe not you but a lot of people in the U.S. are more than familiar with the Ghibli movies. If you ask me, I'd say they're a more logical choice for the parks than bringing in obscure disney references no one remembers.

No one in this country knows what it is the ride would be a disaster because people wouldn't go on it.

Chrononymous

My thought on this topic is that if something isn't popular enough, then a good attraction at a theme park is a way to get people interested in it!

If the ride does it's job, it will tell the story, and people who have not seen or experienced it before will still very much enjoy it.

Saying that no one would ride something if they don't know what it is is just plain silly. I worked at a theme park, and saw people line up in a queue for a ride that didn't even exist!
If people are visiting a theme park, and a ride is on the map...then people will want to ride it.

I haven't seen most of the Studio Ghibli movies myself, but I am still familiar with them. Spirited Away won an Oscar, so of course I am familiar with it.

I could definitley see a whole land or small park devoted to this theme.
I like your ideas Stitchcastle! And I would like to see what other ideas the Original Poster has in mind as well.

EpcotServo

I think it's very hard to make a really sound Theme Park idea for a Ghibli ride, because of the very intimate and natural feelings all of the films have. That said, if you can capture it, then you'll have something truly wonderful. Look to the Ghibli Museum for inspiration, an attraction that was hand designed by the studio. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghibli_Museum ) It's downright enchanting- Stained glass windows retelling the films. A Giant fan made out of a propeller for a wooden airship. The Straw Hat cafe, where the straw hats from several of the characters are displayed. And the robot from Laputa sits idle and overgrown in a grassy park. It's really magical, and that intimate and natural experience can be hard to transition to a busy bustling theme park. Ghibli Museum has the blessing of small space, and crowd control by limiting ticket sales (ala Discovery Cove)

As for rides, I think the best concept would be a Dark Ride, as they naturally tell stories you may or may not know. And the best story for that, would be Totoro. It's simple, and works well since anyone can fall in love with the characters and story. I purpose a Pooh's Hunny Hunt style dark ride behind Japan, that would retell the whole story.

And as for Americans not knowing about it- That may be true, but that's their problem for being yokels for never looking to read, experience, or see anything new. That's a benefit that only comes from years of short-sighted corporations trying to sell to the lowest possible audience. Thankfully Disney is blessed to sell to everyone-without selling out what makes Disney the perfect place for stories like this-quality.

MarioSonic94

Original Poster
on the contrary, I think this is a great idea,

I like your Kiki's Delivery Service idea, though I think it would work better as a Batman the Ride type roller coaster. The reason I chose DHS as the park to built this section is that Ghibli movies would fit into the overall movie theme of DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom