World of Color

Thumper14

Original Poster
We are visiting DCA on Sunday, April 26. Staying at the GC so we have early entry at 7:00 am.
I have two questions about WoC
1 Do we really need a FP to get a good viewing area?
2 Is the FP kiosks open at 7 or do you have to wait until 8 when the parks opens?

ght

I would definitely get a Fastpass, though that doesn't guarantee a good viewing area. For the most part it is less about being in a good viewing area but in a good spot in the area you are in. Each area has good spots (usually at the front of each section near the railing) and (mostly) bad spots. The best area, IMO, is up at the very front on the railing. While you may get a little damp there, it guarantees that you won't have a 6'6" guy standing right in front of you. We usually get the dining package at the Wine Country Trattoria and have been able to get close to the front with out having to get there over an hour early (though you don't want to wait until right before the show to get a good spot, I would say a half hour is the minimum). There is also a not too busy spot in the back of the blue section next to a hire hydrant. From what I have been told it us supposed to give you a great view of the show and there isn't too much competition for it. Unfortunately you don't get to choose which color area you are in when you get your FP, though I hear that blue is given out first.

Thumper14

Original Poster
Thanks. I am trying to book a Wine Country Trattoria WoC package online, but having the same issues as I did trying to book the Blue Bayou Fantasmic package earlier, it just won't let me. I will call later today and book one.
Does anyone else have issue with online dinner package reservations?

Mukta

Good call. It is so much easier to see the show with a FP. Don't get complacent because you have a reservation. I made that mistake and got a terrible spot even with a dining reservation. Plan to get to the show 30-40 min before it starts to get a good spot. You want the wheel to be somewhat centered in your view and no large obstructions (including people) in front of you.

Thumper14

Original Poster
Thank you, my last visit in 2013, they offered 2 WoC shows. Being our first time to see the show, we bought the Ariel's Grotto WoC package and received the late show voucher. The food was a bit "foodie" for us. We saw the huge crowd in early show, and arrived early. When we went to find our viewing place there was barely a soul there. We walked right up to the front rail. The CM said "you really do not need a FP tonight".
Yes, the view was awesome and we did get a little wet, but we stay at the Grand Californian and a quick rather cool trot to the room after the show in order!
We vowed not waste time on a dinner package again!
I see they did away with the second show since then.
So I was not sure what to expect.
Thank goodness for this blog, I love this site!
This time I was able to "yelp" for menus. Live and Learn!
Yes, the view was awesome, and we did get a little wet, but we stay at the Grand Californian and a quick rather cool trot to the room after the show in order!

Disneyfanman

I guess it all depends on what you want, and how much hassle you are willing to risk. We have used packages at both Ariel's Grotto and Wine Country Trattoria for the show, but we usually visit in peak season. We liked Wine Country much better, although the food at Ariel's was decent enough. We always eat at one full service restaurant every day so it's wasn't a huge additional cost beyond what we had planned. My wife has minor mobility problems and standing for the full show would be a hardship. They had a spot for handicapped folks to sit, and we were able to stand behind her. We have done the same thing for three years, and I will probably do it again when we visit in December. If you are OK with the pricing, the sit down experience at Wine Country is very relaxing and worth a visit even without the connection to WOC.

westie

Has anyone tried viewing from the Cove Bar? I understand you have to stake out a table like 2 hours early. I was going to try on my next trip but only if the view is worth waiting. If not a WoC dinner package never disappoints.

ght

I guess it all depends on what you want, and how much hassle you are willing to risk. We have used packages at both Ariel's Grotto and Wine Country Trattoria for the show, but we usually visit in peak season. We liked Wine Country much better, although the food at Ariel's was decent enough. We always eat at one full service restaurant every day so it's wasn't a huge additional cost beyond what we had planned. My wife has minor mobility problems and standing for the full show would be a hardship. They had a spot for handicapped folks to sit, and we were able to stand behind her. We have done the same thing for three years, and I will probably do it again when we visit in December. If you are OK with the pricing, the sit down experience at Wine Country is very relaxing and worth a visit even without the connection to WOC.
We always do WCT as well. I wanted to mention that the prices there (for non-WOC meals) are actually very reasonable for a table service meal, particularly given how nice a setting it is (particularly in the evening on the patio). Plus, if you can get a seat on outer edge of the patio you have a great view of the Pixar Play Parade without having to hunt for a spot.

FerretAfros

Has anyone tried viewing from the Cove Bar? I understand you have to stake out a table like 2 hours early. I was going to try on my next trip but only if the view is worth waiting. If not a WoC dinner package never disappoints.
I've done it a few times and wouldn't recommend the Cove Bar for your first time seeing the show. You'll be watching the show from the side, at an angle where it's nearly impossible to see what's on the water screens. You'll still be able to watch the fountains themselves and the new show may not rely as heavily on the water screens (doubtful), but you would not get the full experience

A similar view can also be had from the walkway underneath the Silly Symphony Swings on the other side of the lagoon. There are a few benches over there and it's rarely crowded, so it makes for a good "worst case scenario" location if you don't get a FP. Neither location has show speakers, so the sound is muddled, and there are issues seeing the screens, but you'll gain an appreciation for some of the clever tricks they've done with the fountains themselves that aren't as easily seen from the main viewing area

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom