World of Color: Winter Dreams 2.0 debuts

TP2000

Original Poster
An all-new Christmas themed version of World of Color opened last year at this time, hosted by a new character named Olaf from an upcoming movie named "Frozen" that wouldn't open in theaters for a couple more weeks. The new 2013 holiday themed show also had a few snippets of songs from this Frozen movie, but who knows if that movie will be any good? It's kinda bold for Steve Davison to bet so heavily on a movie that hasn't opened yet, and base an entire water show around some of its characters. Maybe Walt Disney Feature Animation really has seen it's best days already back in the 1980's and 90's, and it's just a downhill from here as the kids all focus on trashy video games and fart jokes.

Wait, what was I talking about? Winter Dreams. It turned out that Frozen was the biggest box office hit for the Walt Disney Company since Lion King in '95, if not Mary Poppins in '64. And Olaf makes a pretty good host for a Christmas show, but let's get some more of that Frozen music in there.

And with that, this weekend an updated and tweaked version of World of Color: Winter Dreams debuted at Disney California Adventure to big crowds and big applause. Here's the YouTube video for those who can't make it to the park.

Does anyone care to explain exactly how and what got changed from last year? It does seem a bit different.

Crazydisneyfanluke

An all-new Christmas themed version of World of Color opened last year at this time, hosted by a new character named Olaf from an upcoming movie named "Frozen" that wouldn't open in theaters for a couple more weeks. The new 2013 holiday themed show also had a few snippets of songs from this Frozen movie, but who knows if that movie will be any good? It's kinda bold for Steve Davison to bet so heavily on a movie that hasn't opened yet, and base an entire water show around some of its characters. Maybe Walt Disney Feature Animation really has seen it's best days already back in the 1980's and 90's, and it's just a downhill from here as the kids all focus on trashy video games and fart jokes.

Wait, what was I talking about? Winter Dreams. It turned out that Frozen was the biggest box office hit for the Walt Disney Company since Lion King in '95, if not Mary Poppins in '64. And Olaf makes a pretty good host for a Christmas show, but let's get some more of that Frozen music in there.

And with that, this weekend an updated and tweaked version of World of Color: Winter Dreams debuted at Disney California Adventure to big crowds and big applause. Here's the YouTube video for those who can't make it to the park.

Does anyone care to explain exactly how and what got changed from last year? It does seem a bit different.

They added more frozen music like "life is an open door" and "do you want to build a snowman", They removed the opening scene (where Olaf used to say "on with the show") cut the original "let it go" song and replaced it the one from the movie, not the the scene still goes to. also rearranged the rest. To me it seems choppy with no flow to the show.

Last edited:

ProjectX

For me, it's been completely ruined and I LOVE Frozen but I feel the story has been forced to surrender to this new format.

No flow, the scenes feel too choppy and the superior "Let It Go" orchestral version has become the poor film version. How sad.

Toy Story still has too much of presence when I feel TS isn't that christmassy. I'd love some more original elements (like the original "So Much To Be Thankful For" song) with more emphasis on the Christmas elements of Disney ("As Long As There's Christmas" springs to mind)!

Figments Friend

First time seeing the Holiday version of the show ( via video link above )

First impression -
Seems a bit 'Frozen' heavy...and the Toy Story segment is a bit long for my tastes.

Favorite elements -
The sparkling lights attached to the coaster supports of 'California Screamin'.
These look really nice and are probably my favorite part of the entire show.
Watch them during the last number...eye catching.
These must be stunning in person...kind of wish these were used with the regular showing!

The gospel-infused 'Joy To The World' segment.
Creates a bit of excitement, and the combined fountain and lighting effects make for a neat presentation.

I will confess that i am not a big fan of shows that involve watching video projections on sprays of water.
WDW's version of 'Fantasmic' really turned me off to the concept.
Things are different ( and better ) in California however, and i will say 'World of Color' in it's original incarnation is quite good.
The real appeal is the intense colored lighting and clever water fountain effects.
Seeing that, and how it is used in combination with reflective effects on the water surface is just plain cool.

TP2000

Original Poster
I will confess that i am not a big fan of shows that involve watching video projections on sprays of water.
WDW's version of 'Fantasmic' really turned me off to the concept.
Things are different ( and better ) in California however, and i will say 'World of Color' in it's original incarnation is quite good.

Yeah, the water shows are another big noticeable difference in upkeep and upgrades between Disneyland and WDW.

And it comes down to not just routine maintenance, but technology upgrades. Disneyland's Fantasmic! switched from the original 70mm film projectors to HD digital projectors in 2009, and the difference was startling and noticeably superior. When World of Color opened in 2010 they used similar digital projectors as well.

As of a couple years ago, WDW's Fantasmic! was still using the original 1990's film projectors, and the result is muddy images and not nearly as bright. I haven't seen Fantasmic! at WDW for a few years, so maybe they finally changed them to digital?

TP2000

Original Poster
They said there going to do World of Color 2.0 when Winter Dreams is over.

Correct. Except "they" isn't actually Disney saying it. It's a rumor posted a few months ago by Miceage.

Miceage had said that World of Color would close in January, 2015 for several months for maintenance, tech upgrades, and new equipment installation. Then the show would be heavily reworked and a new version would debut in Spring, 2015 as part of the 60th Diamond Celebration.

Disney hasn't announced, or even hinted at any of that yet though. It's all coming from Miceage rumors.

Disney Analyst

World of Color is getting a major refurb/rework for the 60th.

My friend who works on the team has stated that most of the Creatives including Steve are very unhappy with what they had to do to Winter Dreams (In terms of the Frozen additions) but are happy with the other changes they made. Their hands were tied when it came to more Frozen sadly. Sometimes the creatives just can't win against a studio.

kibia16

Correct. Except "they" isn't actually Disney saying it. It's a rumor posted a few months ago by Miceage.

Miceage had said that World of Color would close in January, 2015 for several months for maintenance, tech upgrades, and new equipment installation. Then the show would be heavily reworked and a new version would debut in Spring, 2015 as part of the 60th Diamond Celebration.

Disney hasn't announced, or even hinted at any of that yet though. It's all coming from Miceage rumors.

World of Color is scheduled to be dark from Jan 7th to March 15th according to multiple sites that have posted the refurb calendar for the resort. Here is the one from mouseplanet:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10842/Disneyland_Resort_Update

2015 refurbishment schedules

Disney has released the refurbishment schedule for projects starting before January 12, 2015, and it definitely impacts anyone planning a trip in the first four months of the year. The schedule also raises some questions and fuels some rumors about coming changes.

The most noticeable closure is an 11-month "refurbishment" of Luigi's Flying Tires at Disney California Adventure. Disney has yet to address rumors that the ride will be torn out and replaced with a new attraction, but the company clearly plans some major change that requires the ride to be closed for almost a year.

Soarin' Over California is scheduled to close January 1 through May 14, a lengthy refurbishment that points to the long-awaited installation of digital projectors, and possibly the debut of a new film rumored to be in production.

It's hard to believe that it's been five years since World of Color debuted. The show will close January 7 through March 12 for refurbishment of the show platform, and, again, possibly programming of a new show.

Over at Disneyland, preparations for the 60th anniversary seem to begin January 12, with several lengthy refurbishments starting as soon as the holiday decorations disappear. The timing is unfortunate for those coming to town for the inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend events, scheduled for January 15–18.

One interesting project takes place before Christmas: The December 1–18 closure of Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train.

Disneyland
  • "it's a small world" – closed October 20 through November 6 to install the holiday overlay.
  • Plaza Inn – closed October 27 through November 6 for refurbishment.
  • Big Thunder Ranch – closed November 1–6 for transition from Halloween to Christmas overlay.
  • Space Mountain – closed November 3 to remove the Halloween overlay.
  • Jungle Cruise closed November 3 - 13 for refurbishment.
  • Pinocchio's Daring Journey – closed November 12 & 13 for refurbishment.
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures– closed November 12 & 13 for refurbishment.
  • Mark Twain Riverboat – closed through November 28 for refurbishment.
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats – closed December 1–18 for refurbishment.
  • Casey Jr. Circus Train – closed December 1–18 for refurbishment.
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds – closed January 5 through May 13 for refurbishment.
  • Haunted Mansion – closed January 12–22 to remove the holiday overlay.
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – closed January 12 through February 5 for refurbishment.
  • Splash Mountain – closed January 12 through April 2 for refurbishment.
  • Snow White's Grotto (wishing well) – closed January 12 through April 30 for refurbishment.
  • Peter Pan's Flight – closed January 12 through May 7 for refurbishment.
Disney California Adventure
  • Boudin Bakery Tour – closed October 21, 2014 through January 16, 2015 for refurbishment.
  • Turtle Talk with Crush – closed October 28 & 29 for refurbishment.
  • Goofy's Sky School – closes December 1 for refurbishment.
  • Toy Story Midway Mania – closed December 8–11 for refurbishment.
  • Blue Sky Cellar – closed through October 2, 2015.
  • Tower of Terror – closed January 5–8 for refurbishment.
  • Soarin' Over California – closed January 6 through May 14 for refurbishment.
  • World of Color – dark January 7 through March 12 for refurbishment.
  • Luigi's Flying Tires – closes January 12. Scheduled to reopen December 1, 2015.

croboy82

World of Color is getting a major refurb/rework for the 60th.

My friend who works on the team has stated that most of the Creatives including Steve are very unhappy with what they had to do to Winter Dreams (In terms of the Frozen additions) but are happy with the other changes they made. Their hands were tied when it came to more Frozen sadly. Sometimes the creatives just can't win against a studio.

That's good to hear. I'm sure a bit of Frozen will be also added to the regular WOC but I hope it's really minimal.

GiveMeTheMusic

I LOVED this show last year, and if I hadn't seen it then, I'd love this year's version more. I know the creative team was not happy about the corporate mandate to shove more Frozen in, and they did the best they could under their new parameters, but the show is damaged. No flow, no cohesion. The new Let It Go sequence is inferior to the original. Thank God Believe/I See The Light is intact - it's the best moment in the show for my money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom