World of Color - Season of Light debuts tonight

Travel Junkie

Nice LA Times write up on Festival of the holiday's with an emphasis on the evolution of the various WOC versions. Steve Davidson provides a great zinger when talking about why Let it Go is not included in this WOC. "I wasn’t going to do ‘Frozen.’ I’m not putting ‘Let It Go’ in the show. It has nothing to do with the holidays. I don’t care if it's about snow. Other than it’s set in winter, it isn’t holiday music.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-hc-disneyland-world-of-color-20161216-story.html

VJ

Steve Davidson provides a great zinger when talking about why Let it Go is not included in this WOC. "I wasn’t going to do ‘Frozen.’ I’m not putting ‘Let It Go’ in the show. It has nothing to do with the holidays. I don’t care if it's about snow. Other than it’s set in winter, it isn’t holiday music.”
Change of heart from Winter Dreams, eh Steve?

FerretAfros

Steve Davidson provides a great zinger when talking about why Let it Go is not included in this WOC. "I wasn’t going to do ‘Frozen.’ I’m not putting ‘Let It Go’ in the show. It has nothing to do with the holidays. I don’t care if it's about snow. Other than it’s set in winter, it isn’t holiday music.”
Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anybody that there's no Frozen music in this show.

That said, the exact same argument could be made against "Baby, it's Cold Outside", "Wizards in Winter", "Thankful", and "This is My Wish", all of which ended up in the show. Additionally most of the visuals, including Steve's beloved Bambi segment, don't have any connection either. What do the princesses and 3 Caballeros have to do with the holidays, again?

It seems like the new version of the show is popular and hitting the right notes with audiences, and personally I'm glad that Frozen is finally being downplayed. But let's not pretend like this is some ethereal global culturally-sensitive program; it's just as full of generic winter songs and nonsensical IP as any other version of the show to date

yookeroo

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anybody that there's no Frozen music in this show.

That said, the exact same argument could be made against "Baby, it's Cold Outside", "Wizards in Winter", "Thankful", and "This is My Wish", all of which ended up in the show. Additionally most of the visuals, including Steve's beloved Bambi segment, don't have any connection either. What do the princesses and 3 Caballeros have to do with the holidays, again?

It seems like the new version of the show is popular and hitting the right notes with audiences, and personally I'm glad that Frozen is finally being downplayed. But let's not pretend like this is some ethereal global culturally-sensitive program; it's just as full of generic winter songs and nonsensical IP as any other version of the show to date

I agree with your greater point, but "Wizards in Winter" and "Baby, It's Cold Outside" do have a cultural,connection to the holidays even if they aren't technically holiday songs. I'd give him a a pass on those.

GiveMeTheMusic

All of those songs are considered Christmas/holiday songs and get radio play as such, even if they don't reference Christmas directly.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster

Completely disagree. All those songs are most certainly holiday/Christmas/winter season songs. I think Steves point is valid and fair, bravo to him! It sounds like he received a bit more power to defy the "insert all Disney songs here" quota.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom