working out for Disney

93boomer

Premium Member
No, we have not decided our July 4 plans yet. Thinking about going to Stone Mountain for the fireworks and lazershow, but not sure we want to be in the middle of that crowd and traffic. Leaning toward staying home, and you can bet I will be grilling something to go with more fresh veggies from the farmers market if we do stay home. May go to a state park to hike and picnic, depending on the weather, then just spend the evening at home.
We went to Washington, D.C.. A few years ago to see the July 4 fireworks over the National Mall and that was amazing, but neither of us really have a desire to do that again, as it was extra hot and extra, extra crowded there. Best fireworks we have ever seen though and amazing is not a good enough description for it.
Great minds think alike! We may stay home too. For the past two weekends , we have been stranded in traffic coming home from Sunday activities from I-40 and I-26! We are simply done with traffic!! Ugh!

epcotisbest

We have poplars in our backyard. They are dropping tons of crunchy, brown spotted leaves. We are wondering if the drought has caught up or they have a disease. Any thoughts?
I think drought. Ours do that when it gets really hot and dry. Did the same thing a few years ago when the drought was so bad, but during regular periods of average or normal rainfall, they seem to thrive.

epcotisbest

Great minds think alike! We may stay home too. For the past two weekends , we have been stranded in traffic coming home from Sunday activities from I-40 and I-26! We are simply done with traffic!! Ugh!
Yeah, I have developed a low tolerance for traffic lately. My wife travels and has to go to Macon in the morning and already knows she will have to leave an hour or two earlier than really necessary in order to not sit in bumper to bumper traffic in Atlanta. It is leave early and get there an hour or two early, or leave at a reasonable time and sit in traffic. It seems getting to Macon early and having breakfast beats sitting in traffic and having a headache.

93boomer

Premium Member
Yeah, I have developed a low tolerance for traffic lately. My wife travels and has to go to Macon in the morning and already knows she will have to leave an hour or two earlier than really necessary in order to not sit in bumper to bumper traffic in Atlanta. It is leave early and get there an hour or two early, or leave at a reasonable time and sit in traffic. It seems getting to Macon early and having breakfast beats sitting in traffic and having a headache.
Well that's good. My DH has to go over the mtn a lot for work and also upstate SC. So, he has to get an early start too to beat traffic on those days. It is just getting to be so much more traffic than years before.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
No, we have not decided our July 4 plans yet. Thinking about going to Stone Mountain for the fireworks and lazershow, but not sure we want to be in the middle of that crowd and traffic. Leaning toward staying home, and you can bet I will be grilling something to go with more fresh veggies from the farmers market if we do stay home. May go to a state park to hike and picnic, depending on the weather, then just spend the evening at home.
We went to Washington, D.C.. A few years ago to see the July 4 fireworks over the National Mall and that was amazing, but neither of us really have a desire to do that again, as it was extra hot and extra, extra crowded there. Best fireworks we have ever seen though and amazing is not a good enough description for it.
Even with the crowds the 4th in DC is so much fun! We've done a lot of museum hopping around that time but avoid the mall and find more out of the way things to do until about 6. The only thing I don't get is every year I've ever gong there is always a drunk streaker:hilarious::facepalm:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sounds like a plan. I got to add a few days to our trip just so we could drive down on the weekend to avoid traffic.

epcotisbest

Even with the crowds the 4th in DC is so much fun! We've done a lot of museum hopping around that time but avoid the mall and find more out of the way things to do until about 6. The only thing I don't get is every year I've ever gong there is always a drunk streaker:hilarious::facepalm:
We missed the drunk streaker...too hot and humid I guess. Yes, it was amazing. Incredible fireworks, and with the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial as backdrop, it just made it more special. The worst part was boarding the Metro afterward with about a million other people. It took about an hour just to get up to the loading platform, then once we were able to get on a train, it just so happened the one we got on had no lights. Well, lesson learned. No lights, no air. We were packed in like sardines, standing with the door right behind me. I told my wife we had to get off at the next stop as I could not breathe.
At the next stop, I was waiting for the door to open right behind me, and the stupid door actually opened on the other side. I started yelling, "Coming through" and somehow parted the masses and made it out onto the platform, where I passed out right there. My brother and his wife were with us, he got me out of the way and he carried a small backpack cooler that had some melted ice in it and he took my floppy hat and soaked it in the ice water and then poured it on me and got me revived. It was scary. We waited about thirty minutes for me to get it together and cool down and you can bet the train we did get back on had lights, and air.
Anyway, it is worth seeing again, and if they ever change the July 4 celebration to about sometime in October or November, I'm in.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
We missed the drunk streaker...too hot and humid I guess. Yes, it was amazing. Incredible fireworks, and with the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial as backdrop, it just made it more special. The worst part was boarding the Metro afterward with about a million other people. It took about an hour just to get up to the loading platform, then once we were able to get on a train, it just so happened the one we got on had no lights. Well, lesson learned. No lights, no air. We were packed in like sardines, standing with the door right behind me. I told my wife we had to get off at the next stop as I could not breathe.
At the next stop, I was waiting for the door to open right behind me, and the stupid door actually opened on the other side. I started yelling, "Coming through" and somehow parted the masses and made it out onto the platform, where I passed out right there. My brother and his wife were with us, he got me out of the way and he carried a small backpack cooler that had some melted ice in it and he took my floppy hat and soaked it in the ice water and then poured it on me and got me revived. It was scary. We waited about thirty minutes for me to get it together and cool down and you can bet the train we did get back on had lights, and air.
Anyway, it is worth seeing again, and if they ever change the July 4 celebration to about sometime in October or November, I'm in.
The key to avoiding the Metro mess is bringing a radio and a deck of cards and get comfortable for a while while the crowds are rushing out wait and then walk away from the main boarding points.

Goofyernmost

Never been to Mt. Airy. I suppose one of these days I should take a day trip and head on over there.
On the way up we stopped in Mt. Airy N.C. to see the Andy Griffith museum. Outside is a bronze of Andy and Opie heading to the fishin' hole. We asked a lady to snap our picture at the statue and here is what we got. Thanks lady.

View attachment 148433
Well, you are at the statue. Sometimes you have to be really specific, bless their hearts!

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did some strength training today, but before that a lot of scrubbing. LOL I am in the home stretch, the real estate agent is taking photos on Wednesday. So, hopefully, I will be able to live "lightly" once the house goes into the MLS. It is only two people living here at the moment, but one is a 14 yo boy, so I am thinking it might not happen. :p

I have been up since 4 AM, I think some of you have been up for a few hours at that time of day. ;) My husband got up then to catch a flight to Pittsburgh, so I am going to see how late I can stay up tonight. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom