working in wdw

clarkstallings

I wanted to take a year off between undergrad and grad school and go drive buses for Disney. Unfortunately, you have to be 23 to drive buses for Disney and I'd be 22 during that year off. I drive now as a student for the University of Georgia transit system and feel that I'm more than qualified for Disney's system. Oh well, the state of Georgia is self insured which is probably why we can have drivers as young as 19. We have the same buses as Disney and at Disney, you aren't required to maneuver them down streets and around corners laid out in 1785. It gets very close sometimes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hi - wanted to chime in too. I too am thinking of a career / life change. Being 41 years old, single, no family, and stuck in a dead-end job, and dead end city, I am thinking of taking the plunge too. I recently was able to pay off my house, so, I am now free of a mortgage. My thought process, I can sell my house, and use that to be able to buy another home in the Disney area (what I am thinking about is probably a mobile home park, since I can't afford from what I am hearing is the very high normal home prices). Then, with no house payment, and maybe take on a roommate, renting out a room, that would help offset the cost, and I might be able to swing it.

Just a thought, anyone else think this might be an option? Would like to explore driving bus for Disney Transport. I hear, that they will train you, and even help you get a CDL license. I figure, once there, I can maybe eventually switch to something more closely related to my line of work (mainframe computer operations), but, I hear that Disney outsourced their data center, so, I guess it would be with IBM instead of Disney.

Any thoughts on my crazy idea?

Gary
Right now you might be able to afford more than you think. The bottom just dropped out of the housing market a couple of months ago. We all new it was coming but many builders, both track and luxury, kept building spec homes like there was no tomorrow. Now they are stuck with millions of homes they cant sell in various states on construction. I have heard of several $500,000-$600,000 houses being sold for half their value. Many track builders are slashing prices, paying all closing costs and adding free upgrades by the boat load. Find out what you can get for your current property and if you can buy a house cash around WDW you could make it work.

typhoonguy

The magic of the DISNEY employment experience, for me, would not be about the money. My wife and I are going to retire in the Orlando area and take up jobs at WDW not for the money, but for the love of WDW and DISNEY in general.

Yeah, I am sure the money isn't the greatest, but I would rather be doing something I want to do for a meager salary, than slave away at a job (the worlds only three letter-four letter word!) where the compensation was decent. Right now I make a comfortable living, but I HATE what I do. I must do that for now until the kids are all out of the house. Believe me, if I could pull up stakes right now and head for the casting center for an interview I would. It all comes down to individual situations.

I for one (and the wife) cannot wait for the day when we can don the costume and spread the pixie dust! Alas, that day is still years away.

Thanks for reading this little rant (?) and now I have a question - CRO, is it fairly easy getting a role there? And if so why? I have heard in the past that there was a quota system in place and if you did not meet the quota, you were canned. Is any of that true? And if someone has experience in a customer service enviorment, does DISNEY look at that for the starting rate.

Thanks again!
Yes, at the DRC (formerly CRO and WDTC) there is a quota to make, but provided you follow your training and have a decent knowlege of the Disney product, you'll do just fine.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Yes, at the DRC (formerly CRO and WDTC) there is a quota to make, but provided you follow your training and have a decent knowlege of the Disney product, you'll do just fine.

Not neccessarily. The current system encourages DRC's cast to not be helpful quite frankly. Every second you're not physically booking something with them, they're not making money or risking their jobs. Anytime they do well, they're expected to do better the next time.

A small small few are good enough with the booking systems to be able to have some extra bookings accrued from sheer speed and ease for them, thus they can slow down and actually fix a problem you call in with rather then just trying to send you to guest services who often is about as helpful as a box of rocks.

DisneyFanLS

Just thought I'd chime in here and let you guys know MY plans......I can retire from my current job at 55.....by then I'll have 35 years in (I have 28 now)...THEN I'm moving to Orlando and gettin' one of those security jobs at WDW!!!! By then, it wont matter much if I'm not making that big a salary, cause I'll have my law enforcement retirement coming in and the Disney salary will just be pocket money!!! Can't Wait!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

phichi17

Thanks for the insight....I am pretty quick with the old keyboard and no system is as complicated as the one I work with now, lol.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Thanks for the insight....I am pretty quick with the old keyboard and no system is as complicated as the one I work with now, lol.

Forewarning.. it has one of the highest turnover rates and is known for some of the lowest morale in the entire company.

typhoonguy

Forewarning.. it has one of the highest turnover rates and is known for some of the lowest morale in the entire company.
However the New VP has greatly improved Cast Morale with lots of new recognition and incentive programs. Turnover has also decreased by nearly 50%, however it is still significanly higher than many areas of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom