Working for Universal or WDW?

Ashley89

Original Poster
i just has a quick question. My dream has been to work for Disney in one of the parks, but the only experience I have currently is set for the call center (which I have applied for). Would it be helpful if I also applied to work at Universal so I could gain experience before I got into the parks at Disney? Or would Disney look at my application and throw it out because I'd be working for Universal?

Thanks for any advice!

Tom Morrow

i just has a quick question. My dream has been to work for Disney in one of the parks, but the only experience I have currently is set for the call center (which I have applied for). Would it be helpful if I also applied to work at Universal so I could gain experience before I got into the parks at Disney? Or would Disney look at my application and throw it out because I'd be working for Universal?

Thanks for any advice!
Disney doesn't care if you work or worked at Universal and vice versa. Working at Universal won't hurt your changes of getting hired at Disney since they both have the same basic requirements for hiring.

What position would you like to do besides call center?

Last edited:

Ashley89

Original Poster
The thing is I don't have an exact position in mind. I'd be moving from Northern Illinois to Orlando area.

I enjoy seeing the magic in other people's eyes. I watch the Disney planning video and just get excited seeing cast members making guests happy.

The application I put in for WDW yesterday asked what I'd like to do. I had such a hard time narrowing it down to three.

Ultimately I'd like either working an attraction, helping in a bakery, cast member attendant, or a photopass photographer. I also have experience in retail so I know I'd be great at that as well. Although like I said earlier I would do anything at that company and be thrilled.

Tom Morrow

You don't need to worry, then. It isn't hard at all to get hired into any of those roles, other than waiting for a spot to open up.

FlaMel

The thing is I don't have an exact position in mind. I'd be moving from Northern Illinois to Orlando area.

Not saying that it is impossible to get hired while living in Northern Illinois, but I would bet that they are a little hesitant to offer an hourly cast member role to someone living out of state. Have you considered relocating to the area? Maybe give yourself six months to a year to land the job you want. That strategy might get you hired more quickly.

Ashley89

Original Poster
Not saying that it is impossible to get hired while living in Northern Illinois, but I would bet that they are a little hesitant to offer an hourly cast member role to someone living out of state. Have you considered relocating to the area? Maybe give yourself six months to a year to land the job you want. That strategy might get you hired more quickly.

My plan was to relocate if and when I get the job. I understand them being hesitant but if they gave me an interview they would understand how dedicated I am to getting a position with the company.

IAmFloridaBorn

My plan was to relocate if and when I get the job. I understand them being hesitant but if they gave me an interview they would understand how dedicated I am to getting a position with the company.
Actually, Disney loves people from other states. I'm From Orlando, got Hired at Disney with No experience, quick service. It's a way in e door. I've worked at all the theme parks here. it's not hard. Specialized positions require more qualifications of course but getting in is not hard. It's your job to lose.

Ashley89

Original Poster
Actually, Disney loves people from other states. I'm From Orlando, got Hired at Disney with No experience, quick service. It's a way in e door. I've worked at all the theme parks here. it's not hard. Specialized positions require more qualifications of course but getting in is not hard. It's your job to lose.

I applied for Disney World and am keeping my fingers crossed. I guess in the long run my biggest concern is because universal studios and Disney are competitors, I didn't want to get declined a job at Disney because I was working for Universal.

Tom Morrow

I applied for Disney World and am keeping my fingers crossed. I guess in the long run my biggest concern is because universal studios and Disney are competitors, I didn't want to get declined a job at Disney because I was working for Universal.
You won't. Trust me, half the people that work at Disney or Universal also work or have worked at the other one.

IAmFloridaBorn

Lol they don' care about that. Make sure your scheduling is OPEN. That is they key.

macefamily

Anyone have any input on the Disney College program ? My daughter is a junior at Temple University who interviewed for the college program. She is a certified lifeguard, has table waiting experience, and works in retail. Her boyfriend is an engineer who interviewed and was accepted three days later.

Tom Morrow

Anyone have any input on the Disney College program ? My daughter is a junior at Temple University who interviewed for the college program. She is a certified lifeguard, has table waiting experience, and works in retail. Her boyfriend is an engineer who interviewed and was accepted three days later.
The basic college program is a great experience for most people who do it and looks good on your resume', but it isn't a true internship. It does, however, open the door for true internships at WDW.

If you love WDW then you will most likely love the College Program.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom