Work Tractor Collides with Monorail Lime

WeekendGM

Original Poster
On the morning of Saturday March 8 around 4:00 AM Monorail Lime was parked at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) on the Express beam for the night (stay out train) when it was struck by Work Tractor 1 at Cab 1, the cab towards the Contempory. The rumor is that the maintenance workers claim the brakes failed and it was unable to stop while coming down the hill from the Contemporary. Lime has been hidden in the paint shop but the rumors have the damage as substantial. The two workers on the tractor were uninjured and the train was unoccupied and operations was not in control of the system. With Teal being torn apart to be fitted with the new monorail control system this leaves Walt Disney World with only 10 trains.

StageFrenzy

On the morning of Saturday March 8 around 4:00 AM Monorail Lime was parked at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) on the Express beam for the night (stay out train) when it was struck by Work Tractor 1 at Cab 1, the cab towards the Contempory. The rumor is that the maintenance workers claim the brakes failed and it was unable to stop while coming down the hill from the Contemporary. Lime has been hidden in the paint shop but the rumors have the damage as substantial. The two workers on the tractor were uninjured and the train was unoccupied and operations was not in control of the system.

Oh man, they cannot get the second ferry dock completed fast enough. I'm glad the transportation head loves buses because they should probably start offering buses from the TTC to MK depot tomorrow all day long from now until the monorail overhaul is done. 0300-0400 is one of the worst times for disastrous accidents. People are usually at their lowest temp and alertness at this time.

With Teal being torn apart to be fitted with the new monorail control system this leaves Walt Disney World with only 10 trains.

Again. They did run with 10 trains while purple/pink/teal/peach was down. But that was with trains that weren't completely falling apart. Hopefully they still have the mold from a couple yrs ago. Perhaps ops can get it up and running by late summer if WDP pays for a GotG wrap.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This has nothing to do with new or old trains. The work tractors are completely separate from the system, and the beams were powered down. At the most this will affect how maintenance goes about using the beams after hours.
Exactly, lack of proper maintenance on the whole system is causing catastrophic failures to the point that anything less than complete replacement will be a failure in the public's eye.

This system that continues to "wreck" in the public's opinion will lead to lack of faith in the ability of TWDC to operate the same antiquated trains and beams.

This will be interseting to follow.

coolbeans14

Exactly, lack of proper maintenance on the whole system is causing catastrophic failures to the point that anything less than complete replacement will be a failure in the public's eye.

This system that continues to "wreck" in the public's opinion will lead to lack of faith in the ability of TWDC to operate the same antiquated trains and beams.

Slight problem with your whole "this is the end" thing... The public probably don't and won't know about this. Also how many catastrophic failures have happened recently, because I seem to have missed them.

Yes the system needs replacing- any 40 year old system would. I'm not excusing the fact that this happened. Chances are the brakes needed replacing, so shame on them if they've been negligent. However, it's not like the monorail is ready to collapse.

Figment2005

I'm still not quite understanding why you think the system is at any fault. None of the failsafe are active after hours, and even if they were the tractors do not have them installed. Maintenance runs completely off of what shop says and what can be seen in front and behind them. If the brakes did indeed have an issue then it is maintenance fault, but if the driver just wasn't paying attention then it's just negligence on his part and he will suffer the consequences. The tractors do tend to be ran around way too fast at night, and I tend to lean toward negligence instead of failure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This has nothing to do with new or old trains. The work tractors are completely separate from the system, and the beams were powered down. At the most this will affect how maintenance goes about using the beams after hours.
Hopefully though it will show how close to breaking point the system is, and ferries notwithstanding how over capacity the current system is. Loose a single train and capacity collapses. Loose two at once?

wdw71fan

Monorail Lime sustained damage to it's cab nose, including the fiber comp. shell, electrical, and safety lighting systems.. Propulsion was unaffected.. Most of the damage (while significant) was reserved to cosmestic and 'exterior' on the train..

Expect parts from Teal to be pulled and repainted to be fit onto Lime... Teal is a while off coming back into the system right now (upgrades and testing for the TCMP) and can wait on the new parts... The system won't be on 10 trains for very long..

rob0519

This will probably be the last straw. Public opinion might force TWDC to upgrade the whole system including new trains.

I can't wait to hear the "official" Public Relation spin on this!

It's unlikely the public will every hear about this incident because no one was hurt or killed. TWDC is rarely moved by public opinion, if that movement would include spending tens of millions of dollars. The only move I can remember spurred by public opinion was the Guest Assistance Card debacle and they only moved on that because a). it got into the international press (TV, newspapers, etc.) and b). the cost to replace the program was minimal.

In my opinion, TWDC will only upgrade the system when they feel they can absolutely no longer put off the expense or unfortunately, there is an incident that puts the monorail system on on the front page as a safety hazard.

Figment2005

Hopefully though it will show how close to breaking point the system is, and ferries notwithstanding how over capacity the current system is. Loose a single train and capacity collapses. Loose two at once?
That I will agree with. With only 10 trains, especially on a busy day, if a train goes down we have nothing to replace it. Today we are running and hoping everything goes smoothly.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
If there were injuries, there will be an OSHA investigation as required by law. Any results of the accident will be then be made public, as required by law. Anything else at this point is pure speculation, unless you were there to witness it personally.

note2001

I'm just imaging those two workers as they realized they were about to collide with lime... :eek:

If it really was a brake failure on Work tractor 1 and not human error, I hope they keep their jobs & Disney doesn't just pin it on them. Keeping those work vehicles in good working order is just as important as keeping the trains in good working order.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Any thoughts, @PhotoDave219 if this story will get more publicity or will it just die down?

I kind of agree with @unkadug that in the eyes of the public it wont matter if its minor or major, they will just hear the words "wreck" and "monorail". A news story would most likely involve images of the fatal accident from a few years ago as well which will have the libs all riled up. They'll be calling Washington for a Monorail Reform bill. lol. jk. Glad nobody was seriously injured though. And I blame Meg.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom