Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Stevek

I was specifically responding to a post suggesting that SW:GE could be thematically reconciled with Frontierland.

They certainly have made an effort to give SW:GE a smooth transition but my argument isn't about transitions. Besides, somewhat awkward transitions are a part of what gives Disneyland its charm. My original point was that SW:GE glaringly stands out from the other lands.
I would agree that there is no way anyone should suggest that SW and Frontierland are thematically reconciled...I don't believe for one second that Disney is trying to do that. I do, as you have stated above, believe they are trying to make a smooth transition and appear to be doing a great job of that. I think the only other awkward "land" is critter country, specifically Splash Mountain sitting right next to Mansion.

mickEblu

I would agree that there is no way anyone should suggest that SW and Frontierland are thematically reconciled...I don't believe for one second that Disney is trying to do that. I do, as you have stated above, believe they are trying to make a smooth transition and appear to be doing a great job of that. I think the only other awkward "land" is critter country, specifically Splash Mountain sitting right next to Mansion.

To be fair there are few Italian Cypress trees seperating them. lol

No Name

I think the issue really stems from how the park has developed since the mid-60s.

When Disneyland opened, Main Street led to four lands and four lands only. Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. Those were essentially sexy names for present, past, fantasy, and future... all of which relate to each other. Like pieces of a puzzle.

Today, we have New Orleans Square, Critter Country, and Toontown in the mix. How do those relate? They really should be listed as sections of the original four lands (like Storybook Curcus is part of MK's Fantasyland), not as their own lands. Another issue is that Adventureland, instead of staying set in the present, is still set in the mid 20th century.

So now Main Street leads to seven great lands that hardly relate. Soon, it will lead to eight great lands that relate even less. This is nothing new. Well-themed lands with stellar attractions have been added to the park at the expense of overall organization since the mid-60s.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I think the issue really stems from how the park has developed since the mid-60s.

When Disneyland opened, Main Street led to four lands and four lands only. Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. Those were essentially sexy names for present, past, fantasy, and future... all of which relate to each other. Like pieces of a puzzle.

Today, we have New Orleans Square, Critter Country, and Toontown in the mix. How do those relate? They really should be listed as sections of the original four lands (like Storybook Curcus is part of MK's Fantasyland), not as their own lands. Another issue is that Adventureland, instead of staying set in the present, is still set in the mid 20th century.

So now Main Street leads to seven great lands that hardly relate. Soon, it will lead to eight great lands that relate even less. This is nothing new. Well-themed lands with stellar attractions have been added to the park at the expense of overall organization since the mid-60s.

To your point I never quite understood why NOS and Bear Country weren't incorporated as subdivisions of Frontierland. To this day the ROA isn't technically a part of NOS even though it flows along its shores and the French Quarter was a port on the American frontier. It's bit weird, like designating Caribbean Plaza at the MK as a separate land from Adventureland.

Rich T

To your point I never quite understood why NOS and Bear Country weren't incorporated as subdivisions of Frontierland. To this day the ROA isn't technically a part of NOS even though it flows along its shores and the French Quarter was a port on the American frontier. It's bit weird, like designating Caribbean Plaza at the MK as a separate land from Adventureland.
Walt Disney really wanted to publicize New Orleans Square as a significant new area at the park, so I'm sure it all just comes down to effective marketing. It makes it sound like the park is expanding. Then, with Bear Country, I guess they just continued that line of thought--the idea that a new land would draw more people than merely saying they rethemed Indian Village and installed a bear show from WDW.

shortstop

Walt Disney really wanted to publicize New Orleans Square as a significant new area at the park, so I'm sure it all just comes down to effective marketing. It makes it sound like the park is expanding. Then, with Bear Country, I guess they just continued that line of thought--the idea that a new land would draw more people than merely saying they rethemed Indian Village and installed a bear show from WDW.
Plus, Critter Country doesn't really fit in with Frontierland, while Storybook Circus does seem to fit in with Fantasyland.

D

Deleted member 107043

Plus, Critter Country doesn't really fit in with Frontierland

Sure it does. Splash Mountain is based on folktales told by African Americans, and there's Davy Crockett's Canoes. The architecture of the land is backwoods Americana, and the ROA passes through. Also Winnie the Pooh is.... Oh wait. Nevermind.

DLR92

I think Star Wars really represent pop culture of America. So it fit to DL very well. I didn't like the idea of a single base IP land in DL either. But hey, it fits way better than Carsland and Pixar Pier in DCA.

TROR

I think Star Wars really represent pop culture of America. So it fit to DL very well. I didn't like the idea of a single base IP land in DL either. But hey, it fits way better than Carsland and Pixar Pier in DCA.
Cars Land fits fine in DCA. Pixar Pier on the other hand...

At least, unlike Pixar Pier or Marvel in DCA, it'll be much easier to ignore SWL in Disneyland.

mickEblu

But hey, it fits way better than Carsland and Pixar Pier in DCA.

Not really IMO. Now that DCA has abandoned the CA theme... Pixar Pier, Cars Land and even Marvel all make sense in a mish mash park of single IP/ acquisition lands. DCA is an adventure park in California now. Its a fun, pleasant and relaxing park but the theme keeps getting watered down. So I think SWL, as a single IP land with its title with a colon in it, would work better at the current DCA (2016 on) then at Disneyland. Conceptually at least. I doubt aesthetically, they could have made SWL fit in DCA as seamlessly And organically as they can at DL behind the ROA.,

DLR92

Not really IMO. Now that DCA has abandoned the CA theme... Pixar Pier, Cars Land and even Marvel all make sense in a mish mash park of single IP/ acquisition lands. DCA is an adventure park in California now. Its a fun, pleasant and relaxing park but the theme keeps getting watered down. So I think SWL, as a single IP land with its title with a colon in it, would work better at the current DCA (2016 on) then at Disneyland. Conceptually at least. I doubt aesthetically, they could have made SWL fit in DCA as seamlessly And organically as they can at DL behind the ROA.,

Geography wise, cars land is more Arizona. And everything is about the world of Pixar Cars. Pixar Pier just feels inorganic with slap ons of more Pixar. That why I don't think it still fit thematically.

Antaundra

Cars Land fits fine in DCA.
You pride yourself on theme integrity. HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT CARS LAND FITS A CA THEME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It is a single IP acquisition themed land. It is literally everything you spend all of your time on this bored saying you hate. Don't parrot the corporate line that Cars Land represents California car culture. Car culture barely fits a California theme and that land never got built. The land that got built was a single IP acquisition land. If you like it that's great. But don't pretend like it fits the theme of CA just because you like it.

EricsBiscuit

I'm now excited for SWGE in DL. Once some more details came out it changed my mind. With the logic of the OP, New Orleans square is an entire land about one city that becomes more irrelevant every year (the city becomes more irrelevant that is). NOS has 2 amazing attractions and I love it for the record. SWGE will have two amazing attractions. I see no reason not to dislike this addition.

TROR

You pride yourself on theme integrity. HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT CARS LAND FITS A CA THEME?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It is a single IP acquisition themed land. It is literally everything you spend all of your time on this bored saying you hate. Don't parrot the corporate line that Cars Land represents California car culture. Car culture barely fits a California theme and that land never got built. The land that got built was a single IP acquisition land. If you like it that's great. But don't pretend like it fits the theme of CA just because you like it.
Cars Land represents California car culture, which is very much part of California's history.

But I don't view Cars Land as a Cars themed land, but rather as a cars themed land. If Disney announced they wanted to add a Herbie ride to Cars Land, I'd be all on board. And actually you're wrong about me giving it a pass because I like the land, with the exception of Radiator Springs Racers, I actually think Cars Land is a really boring land that should be completely overhauled.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm now excited for SWGE in DL. Once some more details came out it changed my mind. With the logic of the OP, New Orleans square is an entire land about one city that becomes more irrelevant every year (the city becomes more irrelevant that is). NOS has 2 amazing attractions and I love it for the record. SWGE will have two amazing attractions. I see no reason not to dislike this addition.
If I may try and shed some insight onto this...
NOS is a land about "one city" in principal, but, the attractions themselves aren't entirely reliant on NO for their success. I would even venture that you could lose the New Orleans name and hardly miss a beat with people's favor of the area.

In direct contrast, SWL will ONLY be about SW. There is no escaping it. Like Cars Land and Pixar Pier, they exist to push their respective brands. NOS doesn't exist to push NO as a product, but more as atmosphere. It seems Disney is into large, single-focused brand-lands where the creativity of attraction is limited to the franchise's borders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom