Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

dweezil78

Is it too much to ask for both?

Have you been on the Mine Train at WDW? It's a "cute" family coaster but not an all an attraction that even comes close to warranting the wait times (or construction times, ha!) it gets IMO. Also, if we did get it, I would imagine the original dark ride would get the axe much like it did in FL as there's no need for multiple Snow White rides.

As long as Big Thunder exists in the park, I really don't understand the need to have a second mine train coaster when there are so many other potential concepts for attractions to be dreamed up. I'm still pretty baffled as to why it was made in FL other than needing to fill a relatively tiny space with something interesting.

Would much rather see our Snow White get the deluxe treatment ala Alice and Pan, incorporating elements from the dark ride portion of the mine train. Besides, If you ask most people what their favorite part of the mine train is, they'll say the dark ride part. Go figure. :D

D

Deleted member 107043

Have you been on the Mine Train at WDW? It's a "cute" family coaster but not an all an attraction that even comes close to warranting the wait times (or construction times, ha!) it gets IMO.

No, I haven't. I suppose the Matterhorn is a better substitute though.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Big Thunder Ranch is something I've been missing since its demolition. It was one of my favorite areas of the parks, especially during holidays like Halloween and Christmas. I also enjoyed seeing the animals.

image.jpeg

Curious Constance

I'll always remember when my daughter was chosen to be in the Magic show at Halloween time. She got to float in midair on a table! It was cool, and I was literally giddy with excitement. I miss the pumpkins and eggs too. I hope they bring them back in some area in the future.

Figments Friend

Having just spent a week at Disneyland, I thought I would comment on a couple of things.

Seeing the photos of the cleared plot of land and total desecration of the Big Thunder Trail prior to visiting was a eye opener, but those pictures have little impact compared to seeing it in person with your own eyes.
Absolutely depressing to see ...exspecially from behind Big Thunder Mountain.
The current view from atop the 2nd lift hill on the Attraction is nothing short of shocking.

I realize some of the trees have been boxed and saved, but wow....still shocking to see so much completely leveled.
Looks like a total dessert wasteland...no wonder some people are already referring to the property as 'Tatoonie'.

Yeah I know....clearing land is needed to do big projects justice but it's still a eye opener to see.
The scale and complete lack of greenery is stunning.

-

Curious Constance

I get excited seeing all of the dirt. It reminds me just how awesome this is going to be when it's all said and done. It seems like Disneyland is normally very concerned with "bad show" and sightlines, so to see this much dirt everywhere, you know it's a big deal.
Even though I'll miss certain aspects of the ranch, I'm much more excited for Star Wars Land, and I feel like the area before was pretty lackluster overall and very under utilized by guests.

Mike K

As a devoted lover of both Disneyland and Star Wars, I'm ecstatic about the developments being made to bring the franchise into the parks but am also very sensitive and sympathetic to peoples concerns about its placement in Disneyland. It will obviously be a departure to have the park celebrating one singular franchise in its own land and how that will alter the charm of Walt's creation. I tend to go back and forth on where it rightfully should reside but, thematically it seems to make more sense in DCA. That said, knowing that Disney has made their decision and acting on it, all I hope for is a land that brings forth the best that Disney has to offer, an immersive world that allows guests to escape like all of Disneyland's classic lands have been doing for 60 years. In addition, while I have little doubt they will give us something worthy, I do hope they take the added care and attention to make the surrounding area around SWL flow seamlessly into the others.

SSG

On this site (and others) I’ve seen the argument that Star Wars Land will be ‘limiting’ because it’s a single IP land. I can see that for some IP based lands (I could see it happening to Cars Land in fact), but given what Star Wars is, I really don’t think that will be a problem. The Star Wars universe is huge and diverse in places and characters. There, you can see jungles, deserts, ice worlds, cloud cities and life under water and in outer space. You have epic heroes, fearsome villains, loveable rogues, beautiful princesses, robots, strange creatures and all manner of aliens. You have sci-fi, fantasy and adventure. There is a huge amount of material to draw from right now and that will keep getting bigger as the new movies come out. Star Wars really is its own universe and it has a universe of things that can go into the new land.

Donaldfan1934

On this site (and others) I’ve seen the argument that Star Wars Land will be ‘limiting’ because it’s a single IP land. I can see that for some IP based lands (I could see it happening to Cars Land in fact), but given what Star Wars is, I really don’t think that will be a problem. The Star Wars universe is huge and diverse in places and characters. There, you can see jungles, deserts, ice worlds, cloud cities and life under water and in outer space. You have epic heroes, fearsome villains, loveable rogues, beautiful princesses, robots, strange creatures and all manner of aliens. You have sci-fi, fantasy and adventure. There is a huge amount of material to draw from right now and that will keep getting bigger as the new movies come out. Star Wars really is its own universe and it has a universe of things that can go into the new land.
There's also the issue of style and tone. But the broad scope of Star Wars makes me think that Disney may end up *gulp* expanding the area if its a big enough success.

Travel Junkie

Where would they expand Star Wars land? There is a small expansion pad as indicated in the MiceChat map to the east but that's it. To the immediate west and north is Disneyland Drive. No room there. They can't go too much farther east because that is where the Fantasyland expansion goes.

If they expand it would have to be in another park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom