Wondering...

epcotwsmd4me

Original Poster
My wife and I are looking into DVC and have a few questions.

I've looked at the points charts here: http://www.dvc-resales.com/DVC-point-charts.htm

I've looked at the dates we like to travel - boy is late June thru early July expensive... At least since we enjoy 2 weeks travel at that time of the year in DisneyWorld.

I've looked at the cost breakdown for us (and yes, we like to stay off-property in cheap hotels) and this seems like a good buy in the long run - plus it forces us to live a bit better on our vacations.

But we are still undecided.

Our main reasons for being undecided are these:

1. We want to buy into the Boardwalk Villas. How long is the wait?
2. We would really want to buy into the Contemporary resort, but we are looking at going in 2010 with a big family get together for the 4th of July and are wondering if anyone thinks the facility will be done by then? I know it's scheduled for 2009, but will they be selling early? Like by 2008 so we could accrue 2 years points?
3. We have 2 children (4 yrs and 7 weeks) and are hoping that the other facilities in other countries continues to grow over the years. Does anyone know how much the selection of hotels/countries has grown over the years?
4. One more: When we were looking at HGVC a few years ago, they had a program where you could stay at ANY Hilton for $40 a night. Is there any type of discounts that DVC members receive? Not just for hotel stays (even though that would be cool at the other Disney owned hotels).

Just a few of our questions.

BTW - we are coming from a family of owners of HGVC.

Thanks.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
If you want to buy into Boardwalk Villas, your best bet is to buy a resale. The Timeshare Store is a sponsor of this forum. They specialize in DVC resales. You can click on their link at the top of this page. At their web site you can view the current Boardwalk Villas resales and their prices.

epcotwsmd4me

Original Poster
Right, we already know about that site, which is why I posted a link to it in my questions, and where most of my information is coming from.

What I'm asking is about the questions I asked above and hoping that someone that might have the knowledge would be willing to share it!

But thanks for the info!

TwoTigersMom

My wife and I are looking into DVC and have a few questions.

I've looked at the points charts here: http://www.dvc-resales.com/DVC-point-charts.htm

I've looked at the dates we like to travel - boy is late June thru early July expensive... At least since we enjoy 2 weeks travel at that time of the year in DisneyWorld.

I've looked at the cost breakdown for us (and yes, we like to stay off-property in cheap hotels) and this seems like a good buy in the long run - plus it forces us to live a bit better on our vacations.

But we are still undecided.

Our main reasons for being undecided are these:

1. We want to buy into the Boardwalk Villas. How long is the wait?
We bought BCV direct from Disney and they happened to have what we wanted while we were there. The wait time is hard to gauge, I think, because you never know what's going to pop up on their screen that day.

2. We would really want to buy into the Contemporary resort, but we are looking at going in 2010 with a big family get together for the 4th of July and are wondering if anyone thinks the facility will be done by then? I know it's scheduled for 2009, but will they be selling early? Like by 2008 so we could accrue 2 years points?
First, you won't be able to accrue 2 years of points like that. If your going in 2010, you can bank your points from 2009 and borrow your points from 2011 to get 3 years of points. Ex. If you buy 200 points in 2009. You would bank those points and borrow 2011 points and that would give you 600 points in 2010, but that means you'll have no pints left in 2009 and none left in 2011. For the other part of the question, I'm not much help, since they haven't even announced that they are definitely going DVC at COntemporary (I know it's probably :lol: ). On the other hand, the main Villas at AKL won't be completed until 2009 either and they started selling earlier this year. Of course, they turned some concierge areas at AKL into DVC which will open in July I think.

3. We have 2 children (4 yrs and 7 weeks) and are hoping that the other facilities in other countries continues to grow over the years. Does anyone know how much the selection of hotels/countries has grown over the years?
4. One more: When we were looking at HGVC a few years ago, they had a program where you could stay at ANY Hilton for $40 a night. Is there any type of discounts that DVC members receive? Not just for hotel stays (even though that would be cool at the other Disney owned hotels).

There are lots of other little discounts and perks. Special tours, discounts on APs, discounts at retail and restaurants and such. We just bought in last month, but so far the most significant discount I have found was for the APs. Oh we got a decent discount on our MVMCP tickets too.

Just a few of our questions.

BTW - we are coming from a family of owners of HGVC.

Thanks.

Good Luck! Overall we think it's a great investment. In just a month, not only have we already booked a trip for Dec, we're booking another in a few days for next April and DH and I have had fun day dreaming about how we'll spend future points. We're already talking about the Alaskan cruise for our 20th anniversary (in another 8 years :ROFLOL: ).

jim1051

My opinion is that if you are satisfied staying offsite in less expensive propoerties, you will have trouble justifying the cost of what ends up being a deluxe plus property.

If however you compare it to staying in a deluxe resort on property, it's a whole different ballgame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom