Wishes for short people!

cslafferty

Original Poster
My DH and I LOVE Wishes (got engaged during Wishes on the beach at the Poly!). We have found our favorite spot to view them is about half way from the end of Main St. to the hub, right in front of the castle. One problem for me is getting stuck behind taller adults - I'm 5' 3", which is especially a problem during Celebrate the Magic. This Dec., my recently widowed sister is coming with my husband and I for her "bucket list Disney during the holidays" trip and she is shorter than I am (don't think she's 5'!) My question is: Is there a spot somewhere around there (close to the center in front of the castle) that we could stake out ahead of time where someone tall couldn't jump in front of us (I'm thinking like by a fence or railing or something like that)? We haven't been since the redesign of the hub so I'm not sure how that is configured now. I thought about popping for the dessert party until I read there's no more reserved seating and you could get a very obstructed view. I want my sister to be able to see and have the best experience possible. I figured you all were the ones to ask!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I'm 5'0 or 5'1 on a good day at MK if I wear my tennis shoes! Haha! So I feel ya! Me and my DH usually stand close to where you and your DH do and it can be a problem for me as well. I don't really know of any spots that are particularly better except standing in Fantasyland facing the actual front of the castle (Fantasyland is the front side of the castle facing its kingdom believe it or not lol). I have stood there, by Beast's castle, or in Liberty Square and there is a lot less of a crowd in those areas but seeing that Celebrate the Magic is not as good of a view from that side. ;)

pajammies

I'm not even 4'11, so I definitely understand! My 16 yr old daughter is usually saying, mom you can stand here and you'll be able to see better (I hear that pretty much watching anything) :hilarious:
I'll keep an eye on the thread, but mostly just to see if I win the prize for the shortest adult in the forum. :D

pajammies

On the train station platform - get there early so you can be close to the railing. You will have an unobstructed view and a quick "escape" to exit the park after the show.

How early do you have to get there to get a railing spot. For some reason I have never thought to go up there to watch the fireworks. I just happened to read the other day about people doing this and now I'm really interested!

Disney4family

I'm not even 4'11, so I definitely understand! My 16 yr old daughter is usually saying, mom you can stand here and you'll be able to see better (I hear that pretty much watching anything) :hilarious:
I'll keep an eye on the thread, but mostly just to see if I win the prize for the shortest adult in the forum. :D
4'10" over here - or should I say - down here. :confused:

harryk

I have viewed from the train platform and it is a real good viewing point. However, I have seen people stake out this area 2 to 2-1/2 hours in advance. There is a band that sets up there just before the retreat ceremony when they lower the flag in the evening and this can be a problem in the winter season when the sun sets early. You are moved away and then can hopefully get your spot back if you want to be in the exact center of main street. I usually try to be on the side of the platform which has no poles in front - especially the flag pole.

sxeensweet

Thats new info to me. Where did this come from?

It's common knowledge (of course not everyone knows though so I spread the word where I can) but was confirmed on the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK. Think about it it makes sense a castle belongs in a fairytale land like Fantasyland not Main St. USA. Main St. USA side is indeed the back of the castle. The front over looks it's kingdom of Fantasyland. :)

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

I'm 5'6" and I usually get set up for the fireworks, then someone pushes in front and puts his kindle, ipad, or kid on his shoulders, and I am in the same boat as you then. I guess it's likely for anyone, even "tall" people. Aggravating to the point that I don't even care about trying to see the fireworks anymore.

cslafferty

Original Poster
I have viewed from the train platform and it is a real good viewing point. However, I have seen people stake out this area 2 to 2-1/2 hours in advance. There is a band that sets up there just before the retreat ceremony when they lower the flag in the evening and this can be a problem in the winter season when the sun sets early. You are moved away and then can hopefully get your spot back if you want to be in the exact center of main street. I usually try to be on the side of the platform which has no poles in front - especially the flag pole.
We have watched from the train platform and although no one can stand in front of me if I'm by the railing, the buildings at the end of Main Street block some of the low stuff. We are a bit particular when it comes to Wishes! And, it's true that people stake out the railing hours before.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
It's common knowledge (of course not everyone knows though so I spread the word where I can) but was confirmed on the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK. Think about it it makes sense a castle belongs in a fairytale land like Fantasyland not Main St. USA. Main St. USA side is indeed the back of the castle. The front over looks it's kingdom of Fantasyland. :)

Makes more sense for the castle clock and balcony be on the front, like the movie.

This sounds like a story about what happened at Disneyland was applied to magic kingdom. Sleeping Beauty Castle IS backwards, because Walt liked it better that way so it was built that way.

I've never heard anything about Cinderella Castle.

sxeensweet

Makes more sense for the castle clock and balcony be on the front, like the movie.

This sounds like what happened at Disneyland was applied to magic kingdom. Sleeping Beauty Castle IS backwards, because Walt liked it better that way so it was built that way.

If you notice the "back"(front) is a lot more detailed as well with all the stained glass etc being it is actually the front. It was done this way at WDW because to have it over looking it's kingdom (which makes total sense) not just because it looked better like Walt wanted at Disneyland. But I'm sure that played a part in it as well for nostalgia reasons. ;)

DisneyJoe

My wife is 4'10 1/2...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom